Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Row flares at gay wreath plans

Options
  • 03-11-2003 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Row flares at gay wreath plans

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/story.jsp?story=459440

A MAJOR row erupted today over plans by the Northern Ireland Gay Rights Association (NIGRA) to place a pink wreath at the Cenotaph in Belfast City Hall tomorrow to commemorate homosexuals who died in the two world wars.

The DUP has said the event is an "insult" to soldiers killed in conflicts while NIGRA has stressed that the event remembers all victims and is a step towards equality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Of course the DUP are going to object!

They are the ones who constantly shout "Ulster says no to sodomy!"

In Queens University Belfast the LGBT society cannot get funding from its Students Union because every time they apply it is overruled by the Student council which is dominated by DUP members

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think it's odd that anyone would (a) specificly want to lay the wreath (b) object to laying such a wreath.

Such wreaths are usually laid by service organisations and "dignataries" / officials on behalf of the state. Is there a precedence for other organisations laying wreaths, e.g. for the Flute Playing Society for members who died in wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

Yea, its ridiculous that they should feel a need to comemmorate 'gay casualties', how does their sexual orientation give them a special mention?

while NIGRA has stressed that the event remembers all victims and is a step towards equality.

Then why didn't Nigra just make a wreath. Lets say the colour, Blue. to commemorate all people that died in the world wars?

God, and i'm getting really sick of the colour pink too.. Why cant we have a cool colour?

like Black.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I think it's also ridiculous that they need a special wreath. Yeah, they're gay... and? Did it have some impact on their ability to soldier? :rolleyes:

Also yeah pink sucks. Pink pound is:
    1) Stupid now as we use euro
    2) Pink's a silly colour. I like aquamarine green....

So anything for euro? I can only think of earth and ebony which don't have much of a ring!

Advertisement