Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Documentation in LaTeX

Options
  • 03-11-2003 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

Ok if I want to write a webpage then i'll use dreamweaver...

My fourth year project leader has "suggested" (demanded quite willfully) that all of our documentation be written in LaTeX...

Now with careful research it seems like a good idea but i have tried installing a windows LaTeX compiler and it doesnt work, I have tried Writer2LaTeX (an OpenOffice.org plugin) and the shaggin thing wont accept thenew classes....

I have just installed Word2000 and downloaded a 30 day evaluation of Word2TeX and I can create a TeX document (Disco!) but once saved i cannot view the TeX document for verification

Now I have a PDF plugin for Open Office..and i have a cunning plan!

I create all of the fancey Docs in Open Office and expot them to PDF for printing and what not..(I'll do a nice job!) and I'll just hand them over to the Project Leader and hope that he wont notice the difference....and when He asks for minutes in an email or want an electronic copy of the data i'll copy the doc from openoffice and into word...Save-as TeX and Hope to God he doesnt notice..

(I have already started the project and dont have the time to learn LaTeX however simple people make it out to be!)

Any suggestions or Ideas?????????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Talideon

First of all, go to http://www.miktex.org/ and download MiKTeX. The installer does all the work for you. It's utterly foolproof.

To TeX is a typesetting language. You couldn't view the document produced by Word2TeX 'cause you need a copy of tex or pdftex to convert it to a viewable format.

Oh, and he'll notice the difference if you try and pass off a document not done in TeX. You'll have to find a set of font that looks *just* like Computer Modern, in all the various sizes, styles and weights. Then you'll have to *somehow* have to simulate all of TeX's layout algorithms -- not easy.

So download MiKTeX, a copy of http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf, and you're fixed. LaTeX genuinely is easy. You might swear at it in the beginning, but you'll swear by it when you're finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Miktex is the business, and used WinEdt as your text editor. Couldn't be easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

who did ya get as your supervisor?

Advertisement