Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wife taking married name?

• 03-11-2003 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

I am getting married in 6 weeks time and my future wife does not want to change her surname, its quite a rare name, only a few left etc.

What are the legal implications? Is it compulsory to have to use the husbands name? Can any children use one or both of our names?

Your views/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

As far as i know she can keep her own name ,alot of women now adays are .ie for work reasons etc.

Its not complusory just personal choice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

What are the legal implications?

I doubt there are any

Is it compulsory to have to use the husbands name?

of course it’s not!

can any children use one or both of our names?

they can use both – lots of people have double barrelled sir names
    or they can just use yours, or hers if ye both wish it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ur kids can take either name, or both names, like me/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

Do you think she should take your name??
    If it was the other was round would you take hers??

Quack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Blue Duck
    Do you think she should take your name??
    If it was the other was round would you take hers??

Quack!

Its up to her. She decided ages ago to keep her name.

I would take her name. Its a lot nicer than mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Take her name then and spare your kids the nightmare of a double-barrelled surname!

Can the man take her name? Is it legal?

I think a double barrelled name is the sign of good breeding.

oh it's legal alright , you can change yours to hers by deed poll.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Can the man take her name? Is it legal?

Yes.

Kind of a leftfield example but Jack White of the band The White Stripes was briefly married to drummer Meg White. Meg White is her original name wheras Jack Gillis was his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Oswald Osbourne

Kind of a leftfield example but Jack White of the band The White Stripes was briefly married to drummer Meg White. Meg White is her original name wheras Jack Gillis was his.

Rockstars: Is there anything they can't teach us.

Seriously, go with whatever makes you all happy, as has been pointed out vitrually every option can be worked out legally:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Only if it's something like Perkins-Smythe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Giving a kid a double-barrelled name is the worst thing a parent can do. Might as well give them a first name like Copernicus while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ireland is one of the few countries in the EU there it is permissible for the guy to take his spouse name as his surname.

you dont have to do it by deed poll but there is a form to be filled in. Best bet would be to ring your local citizens advice bureau or your scolictor.

http://www.cidb.ie/live.nsf/WebPages/Contents.html

we have acouple in the family and she married a guy from Belgium and he took her name for they moved back here and the name Ob Der Nacker would have been abit much .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭ThreadKiller

My wife didn't take my name, but everyone assumes she did & she gets post addressed to "Mrs ThreadKiller" now. Drives her nuts... :D

Makes no difference in Ireland who does or doesn't take who's name.

There's a guy in here took his wife's name because he had five brothers & she was an only child & the last in her father's line... quite touching really (the big sap) :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 keeaumoku_tofu

My family name is uncommon and aside from one male cousin I am the last in our family with it.

We have two daughters and one got his surname and the other got mine. The registrar of births freaked out because they are twins but I pointed out it was legal so she had to let me do it. She just warned me if I ever wanted to change it, it would cost 1000 (I forget if it was pounds or euro.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

None. Actually in certain circumstances it's easier for the wife if she's kept her own name (for the life of me I can't remember what they are but I think it something to do with visas or passports and travelling and the like)

(I like the idea of a future Mrs Sceptre keeping her own name. Unless she really wants to change her name to Mrs Ryan)

Originally posted by sceptre
    None. Actually in certain circumstances it's easier for the wife if she's kept her own name (for the life of me I can't remember what they are but I think it something to do with visas or passports and travelling and the like)

not to mention bank a/c's, cards, voting register, drivers licence etc... and then when you eventually break up, she has to go through the whole process of changing back again
    most annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    not to mention bank a/c's, cards, voting register, drivers licence etc... and then when you eventually break up, she has to go through the whole process of changing back again
    most annoying!
    Surely that should be an if!:)

Originally posted by Imposter
    Surely that should be an if!:)

well, imo
    when is more lightly than if :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Originally posted by sceptre

It is common for the newly married man, having had the job of sorting out the honeymoon to keep him out of the way while his fiance gets excited about table plans and flowers, to have booked the tickets in the names of "Mr & Mrs Newlywed", as a sort of romantic gesture.

So then Mr & Mrs Newlywed turn up at the aiport, and Mrs Newlywed hands over her passport in the name of Miss Single, and then the Airline checkin person says "eh...", and Mr & Mrs Newlywed have their first married fight... :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Minesajackdaniels
    It is common for the newly married man, having had the job of sorting out the honeymoon to keep him out of the way while his fiance gets excited about table plans and flowers, to have booked the tickets in the names of "Mr & Mrs Newlywed", as a sort of romantic gesture.

So then Mr & Mrs Newlywed turn up at the aiport, and Mrs Newlywed hands over her passport in the name of Miss Single, and then the Airline checkin person says "eh...", and Mr & Mrs Newlywed have their first married fight... :D

Actually

Its a whole minefield trying to get a passport in a married name that fast. I think it is next to impossible to do so before going on honeymoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Most guys in Ireland would ridicule their mate if he took his wife's surname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Actually

Its a whole minefield trying to get a passport in a married name that fast. I think it is next to impossible to do so before going on honeymoon.

Exactly. So don't book her ticket as "Mrs Newlywed."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wife taking married name?

A cautionery tale.

Look at what happened to Mike Turner. When his wife left she took the first letter in his name !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

Originally posted by Sposs
    alot of women now adays are .ie for work reasons
    god i'm a geek for finding that funny!
    Originally posted by Beruthiel can any children use one or both of our names?

they can use both – lots of people have double barrelled sir names
    or they can just use yours, or hers if ye both wish it

Don't do that -- the length of your descendants names will increase exponentially.

If your child and someone else's child have double barrel names, and they have kids that ake both names, the poor kids will have four names.
    The next generation will have 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Big al

they other annonying thing is when she books a hotel using her name (e.g. Jones) and then the hotel staff start calling you Mr Jones

A friend of mine is less than impressed with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭Blue Duck

Please don't give your kids different surnames, not good for them me thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I am getting married in 6 weeks time and my future wife does not want to change her surname, its quite a rare name, only a few left etc.
    It's actually quite common. My sister uses her maiden name or double barrells. The kids have the father's name.
    you might occasionally be asked for marriage certificates by banks for loans, etc. I wouldn't worry, you would probably be asked for it anyway by the bank.
    Is it compulsory to have to use the husbands name?
    No.
    Can any children use one or both of our names?
    The baby's surname isn't normally on the birth cert and there is a legal set of rules as to what the baby's name is. In theory, I think you can give the baby a completely different name (just like double-barrelling).

The baby's surname isn't normally on the birth cert and there is a legal set of rules as to what the baby's name is. In theory, I think you can give the baby a completely different name (just like double-barrelling).

Since 1997 the surname is required:

From oasis website:

The following information is recorded in the Register of Births:

Surname. Since October 1997, a surname for the baby is registered when the birth is being registered. The surname registered must be the surname of the father or mother or both. If you want your child to have a surname other than the surname of the father or mother or both, then an application must be made to the Registrar General in writing.
    Date and place of birth of the child
    Gender of the child
    Forenames and surnames of the child registered
    Forename and surname of the mother and all previously used surnames of the mother (if any) and her address and occupation - similar information is entered for the father.

• Advertisement

The surname registered must be the surname of the father or mother or both. If you want your child to have a surname other than the surname of the father or mother or both, then an application must be made to the Registrar General in writing.
    Date and place of birth of th
    boo. I didn't know that had been changed (I've toyed (mostly in jest) with the idea of giving any children different surnames.

Damn. I'll just have to do it with the first names and call my kids Dweezle and Moon Unit so.

(I'd like to thank Frank Zappa for the inspiration)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I would never take a man's name even though my surname is one of the most common in the country. It would be like wiping out your own identity and all that you've achieved!

As for kids, it's pretty tricky deciding which name to use. AFAIR, in Iceland, the female kids get the mother's name, the male kids the father's name - this seems like the best solution to me but I imagine it would cause some confusion in Ireland all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    Most guys in Ireland would ridicule their mate if he took his wife's surname.

... and rightly so!!

its quite a rare name, only a few left etc.
    Is it a funny name? I know a woman named Portley who got married to a guy named Biggs. I suspect that the double-barrelled option was never even considered.

(no I'm not making it up - if I was making it up I'd have said a woman named Stab who got married to a man named Knife. Or a nice couple called Mr Smith and Miss Wesson. Or Mr Churchill and Miss Hitler-Schickelgruber. Mind you I'm going to a college where the president is Roger Downer so maybe I should keep my head down and say nowt that would anger folk:))

I'm quite annoyed that half of south Tipperary has my surname. And half of somewhere else probably has my GF's surname. I want an odd surname dammit.

Advertisement