Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a Micro-brewery

Options
  • 03-11-2003 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to start up a micro-brewery but have no idea where to apply for a brewing licence. I've also been told that I'd need a pub licence but I'm not sure how true that is.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Hi DMT,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer but you *could* just ask someone like www.dublinbrewing.com or any other that a quick Google search might throw up.

I don't think they would have any problem pointing you in the right direction - it's amazing what people will tell you if you just ASK!

Of course, they might say no but then just move on to the next brewery.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,
    Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

The licencing section within the Customs and Excise department of the Revenue Commissioners at Dublin Castle should be able to answer your question.

The health boards regulate hygiene standards for food production, eg HACCP.

Your local City or County Enterprise Board could be a good point of contact re potential assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Henri
    The health boards regulate hygiene standards for food production, eg HACCP.
    Local authorities also have some input, as may the (?) Food Standards Authority.

More importantly where / how are you going to sell your product?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

What do you actually know about brewing DMT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭DMT

Originally posted by MadsL
    What do you actually know about brewing DMT?
    Would be starting it with a friend who became a Braumeister in Germany a few years ago.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Braumeister in Germany

Cool, bring it on. Hope to sample it soon. I have a friend who is a beer judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

i did a good bit of research into this some time ago. met with two or three existing micro brew guys who told me tales of woe about big financial losses. lots or red tape with revenue, pollution, poor customer support etc.
    maybe they saw another competitor as a bad thing.
    in any event it is easy enoough to get started to do the brewing. in fact you should get some of the existing guys to do it for you if your friend has a receipe. they have plenty of production capacity.
    you will need skill at distribution. thsi is where the big guys really shine. also get publicans to stock you will be a major chore.
    you will need a huge advert budget as the big guys have us all trained to like only their stuff- and you have ot persuade us drinkers that to go to a pub selling your brew is better than going to our local.
    best of luck

Advertisement