Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thai green curry

• 03-11-2003 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Can anyone direct me to a reasonable recipe for thai green curry and sticky rice? I am not a first time cook, but have never tried thai food :)

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

for teh curry:

green chillies
    shallots
    cloves garlic
    lemon grass
    cumin
    coriander
    Juice + Zest of 1 lime
    1 tsp olive oil
    [edit] u can add a bit of mild curry powder if u feel that it needs it [edit]
    stick all the above ingredients in a mixer and blend to a paste.

but the paste in a bowl and add whatever meat/fish u want and marinade for atleast 1 hour (chicken or big ass prawns are the best (or both))

empty the contents of the bowl into a hot wok (including the paste) and stir fry for about 6-8 mins and then add a can of coconut milk and leave to simmer for about 20-30 mins.

for teh rice:

get a pack of thai rice (avail from any decent supermarket or asian market)
    rince atleast 3 times in cold water,
    cook ultil almost all of the water has evaporated, (1 cup rice to 2 cups water)
    add in a mixture of 1 tsp rice wine vinegar and 1 tsp sugar to the rice and give it a good stir, leave for 5 mins and serve.

=====
    Enjoy

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

don't suppose you'd have a decent receipe foe Pad Thai would you SoundWave, being as you came up with the goods for the curry. :D

just got back from thailand and it's great, food was excellent, and the only time we got any tummy probs was from going to a pizza hut. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

odd, just last night I was looking at my book from the cooking course i did in chang mai, thinking "I must scan this and put it online".
    I'll do it in the next few days, watch this space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Nice recipe SoundWave,

I would love to read that recipe book if you manage to post it.

/Kone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

noodles (rice noodles are best me think)
    Fresh prawns
    3 tbs fish sauce
    2 tbs Sugar
    3 tsp sesame oil
    1/4 cup chopped pickled diakon
    4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    3 shallots thinly sliced
    2-3 Red chillies
    2 eggs
    bean sprouts
    (ur are also supposed to add some tamarind juice but im not too sure if any of the asian markets have it, maybe the one on georges street might)

cooking it is pretty basic... cook the noodles, drain them, let them cool and add 1tsp seame oil to them to prevent them sticking. heat up wok with the remaining 2 tsp of semame oil and add all the ingredients (exept for the egg and the noodles) stir fry, add the noodles and then add the egg.

serve with some finely chopped sping onion, some chopped cashew nutz and a squeez of lime

and Kone.... dont be hatin... i got mad skillz :D

im gettin hungry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

kewl soundwave, how ye know that?
    my mom makes green and red thai curry all the times (since she is thai)
    and with curries, i think bolied rice is the best :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

the bbc website is always good for recipes. Here's one for green curry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/thaigreencurry_67788.shtml

the page links to another with the recipe for the green curry paste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by dudara
    the bbc website is always good for recipes. Here's one for green curry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/thaigreencurry_67788.shtml

the page links to another with the recipe for the green curry paste

Great link dudara. Is there anything www.bbc.co.uk can't do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that no, there isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hedgetrimmer, if you want to go the quick route, you can buy Thai green curry and red curry paste in jars that keep the spices fresh and should be stored in the fridge once opened.

Basically you fry a couple of teaspoons of the paste in hot oil for a minute or two, add whatever you want - chicken with baby corn and carrot batons can be tasty. Seal the meat, then add the veg and cook for a min or two. Add a can of coconut milk (shake well before opening tin). Allow the lot to cook through and reduce, then serve with either boiled rice, or if you want sticky rice buy glutinous rice from an oriental speciality store.

I've a really good, unusual recipe for Thai fish curry if you're interested. Expensive to make though.

• Advertisement

all sounds like some good eatin'

having wandered down the khao san road with my freshly cooked 'street' pad thai only a month ago, thoughts of returning to any kind of thai resteraunt here are unbearable.

it really is amazing on so many levels, anyone who hasn't been there should really give it a go, and try everything (even the stuff that looks nasty) because they really know how to cook amazing food over there.

I have some amazing pics of the flower market near the imperial palace, that does some amazing food if anyone is interested.

glad i splashed out on the new camera, it really captures the most of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭esentziak

Mineajacksdaniel (did I get this right?), will u post your recipe?

thanks

Esentziak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

i bet its great for giving the runs ====

funnily enough, as i've mentioned in other posts before, in the 2 weeks i was in thailand, i ate from mostly street vendors and cheap 'loacl' resteraunts with my mate who lives there and his thai wife, and the only time we ever had any stomach problems was when we went to pizza hut for a change.

go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Originally posted by SoundWave
    n

and Kone.... dont be hatin... i got mad skillz :D

You know it man!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

For anyone who hasn't tasted Thai food, be wary, very wary!!

I think it is manky, had some greenish curry before, tasted like minced up caterpillars and lime ,uuugghhhhh!!

My taste in food is varied but this stuff is weird. :confused::confused:

Eoin Mc Love" . . . . . I'll eat the cake though!".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

hedge,

if ur going to use red/green paste you can buy REAL Thai stuff at The Asia Market near The Georges St Arcade (Clarendon St). Much better than the supermarket stuff. Use sparingly though - half a tablepsoon full per dish. Don't inhale when you fry. Seriously :-)

spinny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

another thing: the authentic ingredients that you can buy there are a cheaper and better than your local Tesco. Look before you buy and all that Harney stuff......

Originally posted by joseph brand
    For anyone who hasn't tasted Thai food, be wary, very wary!!

I think it is manky, had some greenish curry before, tasted like minced up caterpillars and lime ,uuugghhhhh!!

My taste in food is varied but this stuff is weird. :confused::confused:
    that'll be why thai food is so popular then. ;)

seriously though, i don't think someone who can make such sweeping statements about an entire culture's cuisine being 'manky', should be giving anyone culinary advise. you might want to rethink the whole 'My taste in food is varied' statement.

IIRC I seem to remember you said something along the same lines about squid in a post a while back.

Advertisement