Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ps2 emulater

• 03-11-2003 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Any one out there no where to get a good ps2 emulater I am runnig win 2000 pro on my pc. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

holy crap!, is it 2008 already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry to burst your bubble, f1refox, buts not a question of getting a "good PS2 emulator". You'd be hard pushed to find a PS2 emulator of any kind. It'll be a few years at least before you see one (if ever).

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

there a fantastic one out now. speed is 100%, compatability is 100% and will work with any pc or mac plus it even supports dvd playback.

yes, you guessed it is a playstation 2.

there are no ps2 emulators that will play any commercial games because pcs are not even remotley powerful enough to emulate a system as complex and as far removed from pc architecture as the ps2.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭f1refox

Thank you for your quick reply.
    DiscoStu. TmB. tman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

[Abusive post deleted.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Is that not a reasonable question?
    If you're so superior to him, why would you need to call him an idiot?

The fact is, there IS a playstation 2 emulator. And I know of an xbox emulator as well. These are the only ones i know of, but there may be more. Of course, they're not good enough to properly run any commercial game yet, but I reckon it's only a matter of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Theres not even one for the Dreamcast yet (that plays commercial games) so I'd say it would take quite sometime. But check out the Emulators forum for further information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I reckon it's only a matter of time.

Yes - the time taken for it to be possible for PC hardware to emulate PS2 hardware in any form.

No currently existing PC will ever run a commercial PS2 game.

Playstation and n64 emulation were both doing quite well before the consoles' successors were released. I know it's still quite a while off, but I still think proper PS2 emulation is probably closer than most people expect.

there is a difference between proper and playable.
    look at mame. its aims are not to emulate the games to be playable but to accuratly simulate the hardware, if it happens to run at 60fps all the better. pcsx2 may one day have the ps2 completelty emulated 100% but at the current level of pc hardware nothing will be playable.
    there have also been development shots of a gamecube emulator doing th rounds over the last month or so(actually quite impressive to) however the the fps counter while showing the title sequance of zelda ww was running at a whopping 0.17 fps.

as for the playstation and n64 fairly well emulated during their life cycles is not quite accurate. during the life of the n64 only two notable emulators appeared corn and ultrahle(project64 arived wel after the n64 considered for all intents and purposes dead) both of which were incredibly limited in their abilities and scope. many people also argued that they were not even emulators as instead fo emulating the hardware they took a high level approach and only emulated what specific games needed. the playstation was a little bit different. bleem and vgs were two commercial emulators with bleem taking the high level approach and as such played very few games but what it did ti did well(tekken 3 ann gran turismo were about the best). vgs however stole code from the playstations bios and sony proplty killed it stone dead. psemu pro did turn heads but was slow and had pretty poor compatability, it did though lay the groundwork that most modern psx emulators use and have improved upon over the years.

• Advertisement

wtf? Nemu was successfully playing commercial games in mid '99, a whopping three years after the N64's debut in Japan. I didn't use it until some time after that, but later i tried it out on my Duron850 and it was fast enough for me. Bleem was advancing during this time as well. The Gamecube got a european launch in mid 2002. Therefore,
    Playstation and n64 emulation were both doing quite well before the consoles' successors were released.
    How on earth can you try and deny that statement???

This next point i know is just a very very basic simplification, but my 850 is roughly 8.5 times faster than the 100MHz N64 CPU and was happy emulating it. If we use that as a guideline, a 300MHz PS2 CPU might be emulated by 2.5GHz (actual clock speed) Barton. Obviously that theory fails, as this isn't the case, but it just shows you that it's not as far into the future as it might seem. As hardware improves and emulators become more optimised, you never know what might happen. My estimate is that there will be a playable (though perhaps slightly buggy) 128-bit generation commercial game running on an emulator within the next 18 months. Therefore,
    I still think proper PS2 emulation is probably closer than most people expect

~Bf

PS
    many people also argued that they were not even emulators
    --- who cares?

http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/2q00/ps2/ps2vspc-1.html

its a pretty old article but clearly outlines the _major_ differences and how difficult it would be to implement on a pc. anyway pcsx2 runs some games and the first steps to displaying 3d are being taken. it is however still painfully slow and still is going to be until pcs get a _lot_ faster than they are today. 2-3 years minimum.

as for nemu, the programmers seemed to have a different definition of playable to me as i never got a single game running on it including mario64.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I got a few games running on the latest version of NEMU but I didn't bother playing any games on it. It was a terrible emulator and still is. It emulates lots of games but none of them are emulated anywhere near perfectly. Theres mistakes and glitches every and it seems to display the basic polygons and textures without any nice effects. Also when it came out it required a ridiculously powerful pc. Also in 1999 the N64 was practically dead.

Advertisement