Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breeze Home...Some questions for current users..

• 03-11-2003 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

ok so Ripwave doesn't seem to be a viable option for us as the connection keeps dropping and the speeds when connected are awful.

So, we're thinking of Breeze home and having some people come out to us to check our line of sight etc.

So, assuming they give us the thumbs up in terms of speed from our LOS then here's the thing:

1) If, in their testing, we get a good connection does that mean we'll always have a good connection or is Home Breeze notorious for dropping off for no (obvious) reason?

2) How do they actually test the LOS, do they have to climb around on the roof or will they bring a telescopic pole to estimate chimney height?

3) If you have Home Breeze are you happy with the service? I know there's a poll on this forum but I'm after up-to-date reviews. If you're not happy why are you unhappy with it.

4) Mutant_Fruit, I think you were unhappy and they changed your setup and now you're pleased with the service. What was it like at first and was it always like that? I presume you wouldn't have signed up if it was so therefore the connection must have somehow degraded overtime.

Basically any info you guys have on the product is welcome. If we can't get Home Breeze it looks like it'll be Esat.

Cheers guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Mutant_Fruit, I think you were unhappy and they changed your setup and now you're pleased with the service. What was it like at first and was it always like that? I presume you wouldn't have signed up if it was so therefore the connection must have somehow degraded overtime.

I like it when people actually search previous posts before asking questions.

Anyway, since my setup was changed, i've had excellant pings. Always averaging >100ms in game, and usually averaging 70ms ingame. That's well good enough for me. Download speeds are still top notch (whenever i do bigish downloads i average speeds of over 45kb's). I can average 61kb's at some times. So, i'd give it a 2 thumbs up. THe only problems i have had have been with pings. There were a few patchy times after the first 2 weeks which lasted about 2 weeks where speeds were quite low, but thats been quite good ever since.

Overall i'm quite happy, tech support is always helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Thanks for the reply Mutant_Fruit. From what I remember you're on Breeze plus, which is essentially the same in terms of the technology involved I think (LOS). And how did they test your suitability for the product, by actually climbing to the highest point in your house (on the roof I suppose?) and testing from there or by some other method?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭cmdrpaddy

Im getting Home Breeze on wednesday and when they did the test they got up onto the roof (through attic bedroom window) and tested, firstly they couldnt get a signal so they came back down and set up an antenna and they got a good signal. So they do get up onto your roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

I wonder if they have the same 7 day trail period with home breeze as they have with ripwave. I can't imagine so, especially as it entails so much work in getting it up there in the first place, they hardly want to have to remove it after 7 days!

btw, don't let them go without at least trying to get them to test signal with an antenne. At first i was told i had no signal, but i asked if they were sure, cos i was well within range, and they decided to throw up an antenne, and it worked perfectly.

And yes, they do literally get on your roof with a pair of binoculars.

BTW: They were testing on the 3-rock tower, but actually got signal on tallaght tower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

bad
    the best download speeds ive reached in 2weeks is around
    50Kbs about 400k
    instead of the 512k upload/download im supposed to be getting
    i want rid of it so dont go for it unless yur getting
    1mb upload/download contention 4:1
    mine breezehome plus 8:1 contention
    COWBOYS thats what i say

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by IANOC
    bad
    the best download speeds ive reached in 2weeks is around
    50Kbs about 400k
    instead of the 512k upload/download im supposed to be getting

That is normal for broadband. You nearly never get the full speed, usually due to overhead etc. 50kbs is also normal for 512k DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

yeah but ping 500-800 ??
    web pages generally are only twice as fast as my 56k
    thats not normal
    i cant figure out has some1 been dwnldin crazy
    or that the signal is crap
    when i say the best i mean ever
    my rate now is bout 11K nearly 100K now thats brutal
    this has been happenin last 5 days constantly too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

ive just signed up for the home breeze plus service... the 512/512 8:1 option...

I dont think ill be on the 3 rock tower that people were having trouble with... i live on harrington street which is in Dublin 2/Dublin 8 area.. not too far from harcourt street.. anyone in this area have any experiences with IBB homebreeze plus in this area?

Which tower covers this area? Thanks for your help...

50kb's is quite good, considaring the max possible is 64kb's! and the max achieveable is about 60kb's.

Over the last few days i've had some problems alright, speeds have slowed down to averages of 20kb's, and pings are too high to game :-(

I can but hope it fixes soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Been averaging 30Kbps since installed - dropped as low as 1Kps at one stage but complained and 'twas fixed fairly sharpish. Am on Breeze Home - didn't get it for speed, just wanted to be always on - so for EUR35 can't complain (was averaging EUR60 per month on Eircom hi-speed).

Overall - speed: average, service: very happy.

Advertisement