Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody want a free Pentium 4?

Options
  • 14-09-1999 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Now that I have your attention, want a few opinions plz.
    I just flogged my machine, and am about to build a big dirty dirty PC with all the dirty stuff in it.
    But, wondering is there a point in going dual? I heard Win2000 will use 2 chips, as will Q3, but dunno is it worth the bother.
    If I DO, what good dual boards are there?

If I don't put a dual together, I spose I'll just slap a P3-600 in. What's the best board these days? I've been away from it for a while. I used an ABIT BX6 in my last one, with no probs. Is there a better one that doesn't cost a fortune?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

For an SMP system, you could do worse than getting an Abit BP6, and a couple of good Celeron 366s, as I know a few people around here have had luck clocking them up to 550 mgz, so, for not a lot of cash, you could get a fast SMP system for Win2k and Q3. Otherwise, you'd be looking at getting a duel slot 1 motherboard, which aren't cheap at all, coming in at around 250 quid for vanilla ones, going up to 400-600 mark for good ones with onboard SCSI. And then, you've got to shell out for the Pentium chips themselves. Ow!

If that doesn't appeal, you could go for a Pentium III 600, or maybe even an Athlon based system. It'd cost quite a bit tho. I personally wouldn't get a Pentium III system now, as in maybe even a month's time, you could pick up a good i820 board and a Pentium IIIb (Offical 133 FSB support), rather than a 100 FSB PIII clinging to the last breaths of the BX440 chipset.

Anyway, if you wanna go for a BX board, I'd recommend either the MSI MS-6163Pro or the Abit BE6-2.

Dan

PS Get an Athlon! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well just think of this the celeron 400 can go up to 600mh and if you want a dual in that you can but its harder to do . between the new amd and the p3 600 its a toss of a coin but know this the amd can be over clocked a little and even without overclocking it can do 10% faster then the p3 . but id still go for the p3 just cause i like them and think there a mutch better chip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

celeron 400 can go up to 600mh

er..no smile.gif

youd be lucky. ive heard of no one whos done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

fek......get the athelon...forgot about it!!

You could theoretically clock a celery 400 to 600, as the 400 is multiplied at x6 (6x66 ~= 400), so with an FSB of 100, it'd be 600. But you'd want a damn well made chip for that smile.gif

As for the Athlons, they *are* the best, no doubt about it. They do beat the hell out of anything Intel have, but there's a load of other factors at the moment. Firstly, there aren't any decent motherboards available yet - all of them are pretty sp*****in features, lack a 3rd party chipset and are majorly overpriced. But give them a couple of months, and they'll wipe the floor with the Intel equivalents. Worth waiting for.

Dan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

saw an Athlon for sale in peats today, but they didnt have a price on the yolk.

They didnt have any mobo's tho. If i had the money i'd defo get an Athlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

buy a sheep.

far more economical than computers

and a hell of a lot more fun !

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Zero, you got an email addy there?
    Can you mail me at devore@spinsol.com...

Thanks.
    DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

Some games just won't install on Win2k.

Try installing I76 on Win98 and you get a message stating that it will only run on Win95.

Similarly a UK version of Q2 refuses to setup on US Win98.

Both those games are published by Activision, and since Q3 is being published by Activision, the best thing to do would be to wait until Q3 comes out. You don't want to have your brand new spanking machine waiting to install Q3, only you can't get past the freakin Q3 setup coz it refuses to run on anything but Win95/Win98.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

However this is an installer problem rather a game problem. I suspect it's an old version of Installshield or a misconfigured installer rountine. I know this is the case with Q2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

i'd buy an athlon 500, if i didnt need a ****ing £50 professional soldering iron to overclock it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭creative

In the limerick post this week there was a AS400 for sale......that'd would the one I'd get!!!

Go for Duel if ya can and especially if you playing Q3. SMP works a treat with it under NT. One of the lads in the house is getting 103fps with a duel PII 450, 128 megs, and a TNT.....sweet!! Q2 however is "ONLY" 78fps as it dont utilise SMP

Are you comming down this week for the fun and games ZERO?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Go for the AMD Athlon Zero its kicking those Intels chips all over the gaff smile.gif

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

AMD are cool about overclocking - they don't waste their time making it easy for people to do (hence the need for the O/C board) but from reading interviews with the people in charge they don't really care whether people overclock or not.

Teeth.

bold.. posted twice

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 15-09-99).]

yeah theyre better than intel.. at least they dont put the stuff you need to solder inside the actual chip.

but none of the athlon motherboards allow you to change the FSB speed(so you cant clock them like intel chips yet)

"waste their time making overclocking easy to do" ?? they use resistors to set the multiplier.. isnt that "going out of their way to prevent overclocking"?
    they have to set the resistors after they test the chip to see how fast they can run it..

[This message has been edited by Koopa (edited 15-09-99).]

Sam, someone will bring out the o/c tool soon... its a little plug in board that means you don't have to go soldering. Wonder how AMD will react to that?

Advertisement