Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duplication threat to broadband (Sunday Times)

Options
  • 03-11-2003 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Yesterday's Sunday Times (Business News Section p3)
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-876624,00.html

I'm reproducing the article in total as there is so much meat in it.

The Sunday Times - Business
    November 02, 2003

Duplication threat to broadband link-up
    Jane Suiter

THE government must bang the heads of semi-state companies together if it wants to eliminate wasteful duplication of communications infrastructure, according to a report from the National Competitiveness Council due to be published in the next few weeks.
    The council says it is time for the government to flex its muscles on the lack of broadband provision, which is hampering Ireland’s competitiveness.

It is calling for radical changes to link up Ireland’s broadband infrastructure and measures to tackle the duplication of high-speed cabling by various state agencies including CIE, the ESB and Bord Gais. There would also have to be a concerted effort to link up area networks from town to town or risk the creation of “digital ghettoes”, the report states.

In essence, three semi-states have rolled out, or are in the process of rolling out, three separate cable networks and none of them are operational.

The controversial CIE signalling network, which supports broadband, was projected to cost around €20m but went over budget by about €50m before the semi-state company abandoned it without completing the project.

It runs along much of the existing train network and touches most major cities and towns. CIE subsequently sub-contracted its signalling to Esat.

Earlier this year Bord Gais, another state-owned company, announced its intention to roll-out more than 380 miles of fibre optic cable to realise its ambition to get into the telecoms business. The ESB, which sold its stake in the telecoms company Ocean, also has a network.

The bottlenecks were seriously hampering business development, the council said. It is more expensive to get a line from Dublin city centre to the Data Centre in Citywest than from there to Sweden, the report said.

Last week the World Economic Forum (WEF) ranked Ireland 30th globally in its competitiveness table, down from 23rd last year, largely due to poorer growth and inadequate technological infrastructure.

The WEF ranked Ireland second-last out of 16 countries in terms of domestic broadband provision, seriously hindering its ability to market itself as a high-tech economy.

The report says that if the government was to give a commitment to make available the remaining €80m promised under the National Development Plan, it would be enough to join up various towns around the country as well as link large data parks to the rest of Dublin.

The council comprises high-profile individuals such as William Burgess, the former managing director of IBM Ireland, Donal Byrne, the chairman of Cadbury Ireland, Martin Cronin, chief executive of Forfas and John Fingleton, chairman of the Competition Authority. It was established by the government to report to and advise the taoiseach on key issues of competitiveness for the Irish economy.

In its sixth annual report, the council also warns that the government must tackle high prices and poor value for money if it is to lift itself from the European relegation zone in terms of competitiveness.

It will also criticise last year’s budget, which significantly increased indirect taxes, including excise duties and Vat. The council believes policy decisions can play a key role in enhancing competition, particularly in reducing price inflation in the non-traded sector of the economy.

The report says there are still significant risks to both the domestic Irish economy and the global economy. It states that there is no guarantee Ireland will follow the rest of the world into substantial recovery without serious reforms in certain sectors.

The council will call for greater resources in innovation and research, particularly given the current slew of cutbacks in funding for education. It will also highlight competition issues in domestic services such as banking, insurance and transport.

Martin Harran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Dahamsta made a thread about this here this morning. Moving this over to the market/policy forum aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭DonegalMan

Originally posted by Moriarty
    Dahamsta made a thread about this here this morning. Moving this over to the market/policy forum aswell.
    Apologies, didn't see Adam's post - OT but I'm still not convinced about this split in the IOFFL Forum :(

Martin Harran

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    I'm still not convinced about this split in the IOFFL Forum
    <dahamsta does a little dance> :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Quote,Donegalman:- " I'm still not convinced about this split in the IOFFL Forum " end quote.

I totally agree with you Martin. I expressed my opinion on this issue when it was first introduced, but I was ignored!.

IMHO the split has made IOFFL's Forum - less effective - and less interesting to everyone, especially the occasional visitor who is more than likely totally unaware of the 2 Forums!, very confusing and a dis-service to the overall campaign.

It should be corrected.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by dahamsta
    <dahamsta does a little dance> :)

Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Bide your time adam, change may be soon at hand. The revolution grows near. /me rubs right ear lobe twice and walks away discreetly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Reintegration would be good Moriarty!

The mods (4 of ye now , please stay) can flag Market based threads with an MKT at the left like we were told to do UK stories.

Then Adam and I can set out our stalls for the shortly to be vacant Commissionership and build our campaigns with our (sometimes mutually) adoring public.

Lets have the one controversial, scabrous scatalogical and ESSENTIAL forum once more! It MUST need 4 mods , consider that a sign of success.

M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Moriarty
    The revolution grows near.
    I'll get me telly camera. Oh bugger...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

Originally posted by DonegalMan
    I'm still not convinced about this split in the IOFFL Forum :(

I have to say I also agree.

Start a poll put in both forums and the BB forum to make sure everyone sees it and then I'm sure your you minds will be made up for ye :D

Advertisement