Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing with iol(URGENT)

• 03-11-2003 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

hello.
    i was signing up online with IOL broadband and came across this in the form

Install Type :

Self Install at 90 euro
    Eng install at 190 euro
    Self Install at 140 euro

it doesnt say FREE INSTALL on any of them, i assume the 90 euro one is free ? need to confirm, i dont want them charging me for it.
    whats with the 140 self install ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

i've EXACTLY the same problem???

anyone??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yep Self-Install is the job you do it you're self but you dont pay, probably old forms they want to clear out. Actually it's a part time offer that's what it is, self-install is you're option. Welcome to Broadband:D!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I got the same form when i signed up. Rang em about it and they told me fill in the €90 install option as the free one. Worked out cool and no charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭steviem

The €140 self install is the same as the €90 one except that the modem becomes yours instead of on loan from iol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

they just havnt updated their doc to accomodate the special offer, i just left it blank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Got me also :)

Ere....can we track the progress of our order after it is placed?

Ta ba,
    James.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

That would be nice, im into my third working week since the forms got to them, wtf?

Did u fax the forms or just online registration?

Cheers.

You wanna know about WTF? check this.
    http://members.cox.net/impunity/endofworld.swf

Sent filled forms in via post, would have arrived Monday or Tuesday two weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭glimmerman

I have it on good authority that IOL BB are total lemmings when it comes to setting you up, apparently you can expect a wait of up to 4 weeks after sending in the post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I went down the Snail Mail route with my forms and was turned on 8 days later. Mind you it was about 4 more days before the IOL modem was posted out to me.

Ring them and look for an update. I found the Customer support very good and very free 1800 923 222. :D

Cal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Thanks alot guys, i picked the 90 euro one as the free one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

I find it a little disturbing that in this technolgy age that we are in that IOl can't be bothered to change their online form for the 3 months that they are offering the special deal. Come to think of it all the main sites don't update their websites enough. AFter all surely this is the biggest sales aid ? It surely doesn't augur well for the future ? Am I wrong ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Can you share the iol broadband on 2 computers with a router? How does that work with the usb modem?

What speed is iol bb, it says "up to 512" on their site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by l3rian
    Can you share the iol broadband on 2 computers with a router? How does that work with the usb modem?
    No. All the routers available have either ethernet interfaces, or plug directly into a DSL connection. (Remember that you need a USB driver to use a USB modem, so you'd somehow have to install such a driver on a router to allow it to use a USB modem - it's just not practical).

The only way to share a broadband connection with a USB modem is to use one of the PCs as a router, using something like ICS in Windows. (There's a number of different ways to do it in Linux).
    What speed is iol bb, it says "up to 512" on their site?
    It's "up to 512". The service used RADSL - Rate Adaptive DSL, which means that you may not get the full signal on a long, or poor quality, telephone line. It's the DSL equivalent of a 56K modem, that will give you anything from 33 to 50K, depending on the conditions.

Thanks Ripwave. I take it I would need to leave this router pc on always? I have an old pc I think I could use.

Does eircom's bb use a pci modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

(Remember that you need a USB driver to use a USB modem, so you'd somehow have to install such a driver on a router to allow it to use a USB modem - it's just not practical). The only way to share a broadband connection with a USB modem is to use one of the PCs as a router, using something like ICS in Windows

Not strictly true. This Draytek works with some USB modems.

I've not seen it implemented here in Ireland but I had great sucess with them in Jersey in the past.

Cal

Originally posted by l3rian
    Thanks Ripwave. I take it I would need to leave this router pc on always? I have an old pc I think I could use.
    1 Watt of electricty costs about one euro a year. So running an old PC all the time will cost between €150 and €200 a year. You'd be better off spending that money on a router that'll draw 10 or 15 watts.
    Does eircom's bb use a pci modem?
    Eircom currently provide the Netopia Cayman modem, which has an ethernet port and a USB port (you can actually use both at the same time), and it can be configured as a router, providing NAT and DHCP.

Originally posted by Cal67
    Not strictly true. This Draytek works with some USB modems.
    There's a certain amount of hair splitting here - there's nothing to stop you writing a USB modem driver for a "non Windows/Mac/Linux" box. And Draytek have apparently done this for a limited number of USB modems (I haven't checked, but I'm guessing that the 7 supported modems are all based on the same chipset?).
    I've not seen it implemented here in Ireland but I had great sucess with them in Jersey in the past.
    Draytek are quite explicit that it will only work with the supported modems, and the Zyxel modem supplied by both UTV and IOLBB isn't on the list. (Which reminds me - are there linux drivers available for the Zyxel?).

I think I will have to get eircom bb becos of iol's usb modem.

So becos the Netopia Cayman modem has both an ethernet port and a USB port, the only additional hardware I need is a cheap network card, to use dsl on both computers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Originally posted by Ripwave
    (Which reminds me - are there linux drivers available for the Zyxel?).

I hear its a ZyXEL Prestige 630. There is a driver in development for the 630-11.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zyxel630-11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

In relation to the free install etc. offer at the moment I saw an ad in the Sunday Times saying that the transfer allowance is now 8GB instead of the current 5GB ( advertised as being twice the 4GB of Eircom).

Would I be right in assuming that this applies to exsiting customers also?

Theres no mention on the site, they havent replied to the email and they said they'd get someone to ring me back about it but never did.

Originally posted by cosgrove80
    Would I be right in assuming that this applies to exsiting customers also?
    Yes. Did you look at the page showing you how much you've downloaded so far - does this not say something about it?

Originally posted by Snowbat
    I hear its a ZyXEL Prestige 630. There is a driver in development for the 630-11.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zyxel630-11
    Do you know whether it works well yet? It's still listed as a level 3 Alpha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Yes. Did you look at the page showing you how much you've downloaded so far - does this not say something about it?

No it just tells you what you've downloaded this month and total overall. Dosen't mention the limits.

But if it is 8GB thats good news! Work mp3s AND game demos now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

My friend bought it when it was 4 or 5gb, it was updated to 8gb,he didnt know until i told him .

Anyway u only get 33k ?on a crap phone line ?how do i know if my phoneline is not crap ? BAH

my friend got his yesterday and hes getting only 22k per sec.

it`s a waste of money if i get less than 45-50.
    How much per sec would counter strike need ? whats the ping ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i registered for the service online about 3 weeks ago im told next wensday the teck will be out to uninstall the isdn line .

ive still not recieved my modem . do they give it out b4 r after the line is installed ?

i seem to be ringing them a lot l8ly

CS for complete fluid motion, needs in total about 9k/sec with pings less than 50ms.

Buddy on IOL BB was getting 39-42ms pings to JOLT servers in the UK.
    J.

Ordered at the same time as a mate of mine, well, here is an email he sent me this morning:

Jeebus, I called IOL last night just to see what the story with the order is. They don't have it on the system yet, but when they do have it on there, it will be 15 working days from that point... I applied 13 working days ago. That's a 6 week lead time, at least, on an order that requires them to simply set up a standing order (which I did for something else in 2 minutes at lunch last week) and then put a modem in the post.

Really incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hmm, that email looks really familiar :p

Advertisement