Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signing with iol(URGENT)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by Serbian
    Hmm, that email looks really familiar :p

Please quit stalking me m8 :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

was told by them today that my phone line is not due to be downgraded yet . but eircom are ment to do it b4 the end of next week . arg . and that once that is done and the eircom tec tells them this i will have down time of about a week b4 there guy can come out and install my line . after this is done im told ill be sent the modem

the modem u get is not rented am i right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

CS needs 9k/s, WHAT?

CS can have completely fluid movement on 3kup and 3.5down.

To have a bit of leeway, 5k down and 4k up, and you're sorted on even the biggest of servers (assuming you're not on one of those crazy servers which support <32 players!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Well I rang IOL on a friday afternoon. Got put through to northern Ireland customer service who promised to ring back. Rang again on monday, got through to the right place, ordered. Got the forms that wednesday, sent off on thursday or friday morning. They rang on the following monday asking about username and password. I was turned on that friday. Didnt get the modem til monday tho :D

All in all, from first call, it took 2 weeks for me to get it in. I picked up a zoom x4 modem/router (which took me a little while to config) and got my home network (3 pcs) up and running. Spot on, no bother!

very happy with IOL.

Maybe they did me fast cos i was a nolimits customer (heavy user too) :D

[edit] Think the dates were rang the 3rd of oct, had it in by 17th[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

Boro, was there any problems using your own modem/router? How did you set it up? Do you need to have 1 pc on always?

If I go for iol bb, will I be able to buy a router which plugs into phone socket and connect the 2 pcs up to this router? Using the enternet sockets on the router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Mutant_Fruit, hello like.
    CS needs 9k/s, WHAT?
    CS can have completely fluid movement on 3kup and 3.5down.

To have a bit of leeway, 5k down and 4k up, and you're sorted on even the biggest of servers (assuming you're not on one of those crazy servers which support <32 players!)

Whats 5k down + 4k up ? 9kb/sec.

When someone says 9kb/sec, you must assume total bandwidth required, which means up and down. I know CS, been playing it for 5 years since beta .4. I have seen the increase of bandwidth required to get the netcode premption running properly.
    I am on 56k too long to know this.

You can get away with 6kb/sec with the correct settings with pings less than 50ms, which is just slightly outside the remit of ISDN.

Anyways, back to this subject, from speaking with an IOL customer care person yesterday, IOL are trying to speed things up(allegedly) by making step #1 of your ordering to be the part where they issue the work order to EIRCOM to get your line jumpered in your local CO to DSL.

Originally posted by elexes

the modem u get is not rented am i right ?

It is if you go for the free install option. Its something like 140 if you want to own it. Tis one fugly, fugly modem though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

ugly modem but apparently it is a doddle to set up and works like a dream so who cares if it is ugly.

gb--

Me, I like to see beauty wherever I cast my gaze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I'd hate to have a beautiful looking modem that didn't work!!

gb--

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Do you know whether it works well yet? It's still listed as a level 3 Alpha.

One report says the driver works well with a 630-11 clone so that's encouraging:
    http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=324214

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Originally posted by l3rian
    Boro, was there any problems using your own modem/router? How did you set it up? Do you need to have 1 pc on always?

If I go for iol bb, will I be able to buy a router which plugs into phone socket and connect the 2 pcs up to this router? Using the enternet sockets on the router.

My router is a stand-alone box about the same size as the zyxel modem. It plugs into the phoen socket and into a hub. The computers al plug into the same hub. its not hard to set up if you know basic networking (ie what ip ranges are, etc). I had trouble configuring because of a NAT/NAPT mixup and also because IOL didnt send me the connection details (the VPI/VCI details).

You can get routers that act as switches also (check out some of the other threads on this forum - the sticky esp.) but i already had the network in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Me, I like to see beauty wherever I cast my gaze.
    I was wondering why you had no mirrors in your house...

As for me, I'm going to go with my own ethernet modem, mainly because it has a hardware firewall built in too. It also has wireless capabilities in case I ever get a laptop :p (Netgear DG824M is the modem in case you are wondering)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭somano

I signed up online to IOL BB a week ago but haven't heard a dicky bird. Do they acknowledge recipt of applications online ? Or do they send you a form to sign ? Anybody out there sign up online, how did it go ? How long ?

They dont really acknowledge anything tbh. Took 14 working days after i signed up to get modem, still waiting on account activation. You dont hear so you just have to ring if you want to know whats going on.

thxs - meanwhile my phone bill................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

when u register online, they send u the REGISTRATION form again, i got it on friday(2 days after reg) i think,
    in that u only need to fill in ur name , adress etc and your direct debit details to confirm all entries.

Thanks placebo. Guess that means they never received my online app or can't be bothered to reply. Wonder should I go elsewhere........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hey,

I applied online and got nothing from then, until about a week later, a direct debit mandate arrived at my door. I prompty filled that in and sent it back.

I heard nothing for a week, so I decided to ring up, and after a couple of phone calls, I found out that my line was 'with Eircom' and they were waiting for it to be enabled on the DSLAM.

If you want info on how your application is going you simply have to ring them. If they say they can't find the info on the system, ask to speak to the person who is handling your order. That's what I did anyway...

Serb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i filled the direct debate mandate and now they`ve sent it back again .
    WTF !!!!!!!!!!???? and why the !!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement