Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uninsured Driver hit me

Options
  • 03-11-2003 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

On the way home from work this evening an uninsured Transit van rolled off the kerb and hit my passenger door. The address given was Connollys Park in Tallaght ??? - never heard of it ??

The driver didn't have a mobile and couldn't "remember" his wifes mobile no. He is to ring later tonight so lets pray he does. Anyone have any experience with uninsured drivers ?? He did give me what he thought was his wifes mobile no. but it seems to be for someone else.

Is there anyway of tracking him apart from the reg of the van (which btw isn't registered in his name). Gardai did attend the scene and the Garda was great. He has warned the driver to pay for the damage or face prosecution for no insurance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

You will be able to claim from the motor insurance beareu of ireland(MIB) for any accident involving an uninsured driver,i have just received a settlement from them when i was involved with an accident with an uninsured driver.

But it sounds a bit dodgey that the van wasn't insured and wasn't in his name and he had no mobile and didn't know his wife's mobile no,sounds to me like he is trying to get away with it.

But as long as the garda where present you have a witness and you can claim even if you never see him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

He warned the driver to pay for the damage or face prosecution for no insurance
    WHAT ???????????

You mean, if he pays up, the Guard is going to let him away with being uninsured ?????????
    Madness !!!!

The book should be thrown at any driver caught with no insurance :mad:

It's those people who are contributing to the high cost of car insurance in this country !!!
    Every insured driver in this country is paying for all the uninsured drivers out there.

It's high time a confidential phone number was set up (like the one for bogus insurance claims) to catch uninsured drivers !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Silvera
    WHAT ???????????

You mean, if he pays up, the Guard is going to let him away with being uninsured ?????????
    Madness !!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:
    That's the way I read it as well
    :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭robo

Hey DaveD, was that the accident in Ballsbridge?
    Outside the RDS?

Sorry to hear about your problem, but yeh the driver of the uninsured van should get a bit more of a punishment than just pay your damages...no bloody insurance!!! Makes my blood boil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Originally posted by Silvera
    WHAT ???????????

Madness !!!!

WTF?

Eh, is it not illegal for you to drive without insurance?

Scuse me Mr. Policeman Sir! but eh would ye mind doing your job now and then?. Maybe then we won't have as many uninsured out there if they know they won't get away with it!.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by DaveD
    Is there anyway of tracking him apart from the reg of the van (which btw isn't registered in his name). Gardai did attend the scene and the Garda was great. He has warned the driver to pay for the damage or face prosecution for no insurance.

Do you have the registred owners name? Did he know the driver was uninsured? The Garda sounds like he is going beyond his powers - I dont think they have that sort of descretion.

Mike.

ps buy a camera at least you'd have piccy of the culprit!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're worried, I'd say go up to Tallaght Garda Station with all the info you have, and have a nice chat with the lads there, see if they know the guy, recognise the name (as an alias or otherwise), or even recognise the address.

Failing that, there's a phone book available (but expensive - there may be a copy in your local library) that lists pretty much every house in the country, the name of the inhabitants, and the phone number. Yes it's legal.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

The Guard i think tried to threaten the bloke by saying if he didn't pay then he's be prosecuted. He should be prosecuted anyway in my opinion!

Phoned the Garda today and told him the guy never phoned me. He says he's gonna summons the driver for no insurance. Don't know how he's gonna trace him though, address doesn't exist !!

Not gonna let this one lie though - I will find this bloke - New door €1200 :(

@ Silvera - Defo agree with a confidential line being set up for reporting uninsured drivers. I actually wotk in a claims dept. in an insurance co. and you wouldn't belive the amount of claims we see involving uninsured drivers. There are 80,000 uninsured drivers on our roads :mad:

@robo - accident wasn't in Ballsbridge, happened in Phibsboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Originally posted by DaveD

Not gonna let this one lie though - I will find this bloke - New door €1200 :(

And then keel him? Or at least do his door. Surley the Garda asked too see his drivers license ect ect. Is there a chance the Van was stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Cosworth

Originally posted by seamus
    Failing that, there's a phone book available (but expensive - there may be a copy in your local library) that lists pretty much every house in the country, the name of the inhabitants, and the phone number. Yes it's legal.

:)

Any more info on this,and does it list phone numbers that are unlisted in the ordinary phone book,and when you say expensive,do you have to pay for this service and how much?
    And is this available in every local library

Cheers
    Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

It's called Thom's Directory, it lists streets and addresses and who is the registered occupier, (taken from the electoral register I belive) The book is expensive, but as Seamus says, it's in the reference section of the library.

Combine with phone book, for added stalking capabilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

he has warned the driver to pay for the damage or face prosecution for no insurance.
    yeahbut if he was to arrest da **** he would have paper work to do!!! and we cant have that now can we

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It's an absolute disgrace the garda didn't take him down to the station there and then! That b*****d should be prosecuted whether he pays for your door or not!
    I'd lodge a complaint with the garda commissioner, did you get the garda's name or badge number?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

jesus, I've just come here after ranting about coppers in afterhours. wtf didn't the copper drag him down to the station? Please tell me he didn't allow the uninsured driver to , ahem drive away!!

The Guard that came to the scene was on a bike - Word on the street is that they all clock off at 6. Accident happened at 5.30/5.40. Haven't been able to trace this guy yet.

Originally posted by eth0_
    It's an absolute disgrace the garda didn't take him down to the station there and then! That b*****d should be prosecuted whether he pays for your door or not!
    I'd lodge a complaint with the garda commissioner, did you get the garda's name or badge number?

Yeah, have the Guards name & badge no. Many people have said this to me (including a Guard that i know). The only thing is i don't wanna become a marked car !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why bother getting insured if there is no penalty ?

What's the story with the NCT - you don't need it for TAX, just for insurance, and as for TAX.

Does yer man still have 14 days to produce his insurance cert at a Garda station of his choice ?

Write down and date what happened this evening - adding in any details you can remember
    I've heard that in court cases you can only refer to written statements if done on the same day - else you rely on your memory (not sure if true but...)

Driving without insurance / Tax / on provisional - if they took all those guys off the road it would remove a lot of traffic conjestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    What's the story with the NCT - you don't need it for TAX, just for insurance, and as for TAX.
    But you need the insurance to get the tax, so it's covered.
    Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    I've heard that in court cases you can only refer to written statements if done on the same day - else you rely on your memory (not sure if true but...)
    It needs to be contemporary, not necessarily "same day". But yeah, write it up now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not really - anyone without insurance probably don't have TAX

The point about TAX is that it's only a €50 fine - and that's if you get caught - yes after three months they can confiscate the vehicle, but in most cases the TAX+INSURANCE+Cost of fixing it to NCT stds. is more than the Vehicle is worth. So no financial incentive to get it done.

BTW: have a look at the voters register for names and addresses - can't remember if it is in the library or garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

there shouldnt have to be a financial incentive for people to obey the law

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Stekelly
    there shouldnt have to be a financial incentive for people to obey the law
    The reality is different. In conversation with the local Garda sargent, he feels adequate on-the-spot fines for everything would seriously cut down on his work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Name and shame time.

Give us the Reg number.

Someone may know who owns it, or have gotten into accidents wit similar van.

All else fails, I'll look on the net for it. You'd be surprised wot u can find, if u look correctly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Do you know any member of the Police force well or have a relative??

They will be able to find out who this guy is pretty easy.

I'd go back to the Guardai do.

I work with a bloke who knows a guy in the tax office. Vehicle isn't registered in this guys name. Seems last owner sold it in Aug '03 to Travellers !

I've tried everything but haven't been able to trace him at all yet.

The van that hit me was a Ford Transit. It was white & blue. Top half was white, bottom half blue. The Reg is 91D21720.

Thanks everyone for your help :) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Travellers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh NO. Did the Guardai get a name??

Probably false but you never know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

This fella should be done for this. E2500 fine, disqualification for 1 year on first offence afaik and also a mandatory endorsement on his licence.

Uninsured drivers boil my blood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

Just as a note... is there not a government fund for people who got hit by an uninsured driver ?I think you can make a claim against this fund in this case. But not sure if that`s only for personal injuries or for the damage of the car as well.

Maybe have a look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep there is a fund which we pay for through a levy on policies, its the last port of call but it should always be
    considered for uninsured driver crashes...

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

From what I have heard, if you claim from the 'Uninsured Drivers Bureau' you will only get between half to two thirds of your claim amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

better than nothing.

• Advertisement

You can claim from the Motor Insurers Bureau for incidents involving uninsured drivers. In the past it would take months to get money but these days if you have Comp insurance the MIB have an agreement with all insurance companies to allow you to claim off your own policy without affecting your bonus. Much quicker ! The only thing is an excess of €444 applies but at least you're getting something !

Advertisement