Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uninsured Driver hit me

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

isnt it mandatory that everyone carries their driving license? (or am I dreaming?) .... I thought failure to have it is an on the spot fine too ... fúcking useless guards, couldnt give a shít....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by BigEejit
    isnt it mandatory that everyone carries their driving license? (or am I dreaming?) .... I thought failure to have it is an on the spot fine too ... fúcking useless guards, couldnt give a shít....

No its not mandatory. You have 10 days to bring to a cop shop of your choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It kinda helps when you change your car that the insurance company sends out the right cert rather than re-issue the existing one. (you see you have to send the old disk back..)

Thankfully I was not stopped and there was still insurance cover on the car from the previous owner (they did replace the car or cancel the insurance since it had little time to go) and my policy allows me to drive with their consent..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond

Rubbish.

While driving a car in a public place or accompanying a provisional driver it is mandatory to have your full driving licence with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    All changed. Road Traffic (Amendment) Act 1994 if I remember rightly. Brennan said that the cops would start enforcing it at the start of this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah thats what I belived, in fact I posted a thread about it. I still have'nt been asked to show my licence.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Yes, it's my understanding that all motorists had to carry their driving licences since Jan '03.

I recall that farmers were complaining (nothing new there:D ) that they wanted 'duplicate licences' - so they could put one in each vehicle they drove (car, tractor, jeep...) :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That carrying licenses - it's just a way of making us carry ID :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

No ****...because guess why? Yep, people stopped and given a producer were using false names & addresses and never turning up at the Garda stations, among other reasons. We are one of teh few countries (maybe even the only one other than the UK?) that does not require its citizens to carry formal id.

Originally posted by MojoMaker
    No ****...because guess why? Yep, people stopped and given a producer were using false names & addresses and never turning up at the Garda stations, among other reasons. We are one of teh few countries (maybe even the only one other than the UK?) that does not require its citizens to carry formal id.

In France and Holland it is voluntary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Same happened me :-

Here is what to do - YOUR insurance Company will claim from the MIB and there is an excess of €440.

YOU need to get a report form the Guard in question stating that the Van driver did not produce insurance when required

Send in your claim ( with receipts etc etc ) to YOUR insurance Company along with this report and tell them that you want them to claim your costs - excess from the MIB - ALSO make it very clear that you are NOT claiming from YOUR policy and that this will not impact on your claims history

You will have your money in about 3-4 weeks.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In my case it was a foregin person who reversed into us - false insurance and tax cert.

BE WARNED - talking to the Guard at the scene the latest trick is :-

They go to a quiet roundabout and drive around it
    When you come up to the Roundabout they stop and wave you out
    They then crash into you and YOU are in the wrong!!
    They then claim from you or in many cases demand money from you to NOT make a claim.

NOT being anything "ist" by the way - these are simply the facts as told to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I don't rate your chances of finding this guy. Hes long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you hear nothing back, report the Garda. That kind of carry on is ridiculous. Anyone who drives a car van or truck uninsured, is scum. Gardai should immediately detain anyone driving uninsured and impound their vehicle, whether it belongs to them or not.

Actually - The guy had no insurance, no driving licence on him, and said the van didn't belong to him. Yet the Garda decided that he was honourable enough to give his real details. Fuck sake. Report the Garda regardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Silvera
    I recall that farmers were complaining (nothing new there:D ) that they wanted 'duplicate licences' - so they could put one in each vehicle they drove (car, tractor, jeep...) :rolleyes:
    So, exactly how would these be endorsed if there are say 3 licences.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by seamus
    The guy had no insurance, no driving licence on him, and said the van didn't belong to him. Yet the Garda decided that he was honourable enough to give his real details. Fuck sake. Report the Garda regardless of the outcome.

Indeed, that was gross stupidity (not uncommon in the profession :eek:) ... I dunno where you go to complain about a guard being a twat.

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Indeed, that was gross stupidity (not uncommon in the profession :eek:) ... I dunno where you go to complain about a guard being a twat.

From oasis.gov.ie
    If you wish to make a complaint about any member of An Garda Siochana, you may do this in several ways:

Put your complaint in writing to the Garda Siochana Complaints Board (see "Where to apply" for contact information)
    Call into the Garda Siochana Complaints Board at the address above and make your complaint in person. Opening hours are from 10:00a.m. - 12:30p.m. and from 2:30p.m. - 4:30p.m. Monday-Friday.
    Call into any Garda Station in Ireland and request Form GSC1 - this is the official form on which you should outline the nature of your complaint. The completed form is then sent to the Garda Siochana Complaints Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Thats ****ing scandalous.
    The guard let him carry on driving an unisured vehicle even after he had already caused an accident.
    Good story for the paper or radio if you ask me.
    Let that be a lesson to us all.
    Never believe the guards at the scene of an accident.
    You have to tell them what their own job is.

Advertisement