Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Need to change the oil?

Options
  • 03-11-2003 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

What is the the story with a mayonnase coloured deposit in a oil filler cap. It kinda freaked me out this morning, i think i read somewhere its a sign of something but i cant recall what. Any ideas, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Mayonnaise on the oil filler cap = water and oil mixing. This could be bad news - your cylinder head gasket could be gone. Or it could just be that the car is used for very short journeys and the engine never heats up properly resulting in moisture getting trapped in the engine and leaving a deposit on the oil filler cap

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Thanks BrianD3, oil and water mixing its a new car so i presume its not good, however it is being used for short journeys, is there a way to stop this happening

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

take it for a good spin once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There is a small chance it could be a blown head gasket. If there's a *lot* of mayonnaise and it's on the dipstick as well as the filler cap then I'd be worried. Other signs that your HG may be gone are
    -oily sludge in the coolant expansion tank
    -loss of coolant
    -poor running
    -lots of steam/white smoke from the exhaust
    -overheating
    -coolant boiling in the expansion tank and being expelled through the cap.

If you have none of these symptioms then you can pretty much rule out the head gasket.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭deecom

Lots of white smoke alright, have decided to take it to a garage in the morning, should be covered my warranty, i hope! Thanks for the advice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement