Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

budgies

Options
  • 03-11-2003 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

i have 2 one year old budgies, one male and one hen, i have noticed that the hen picks on him a lot, ive never let them breed as i dont know too much about aftercare of the chicks, the hen is also impossible to tame and will peck till u bleed but the cock is much friendlier and will sit on your finger in the cage but not outside it, so does anyone have any advise on breeding them, ( will this stop her bickering), and any advise on taming is also welcomed,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Back Stabbath

Some hens can be quite dominant, especially in breeding season. But don't worry about it too much.
    Breeding will certainly not stop this behaviour, and may worsen it for the time that they are breeding. Breeding should never be undertaken without full knowledge of birds and breeding. There are so many things that can go wrong. Your hen may become egg bound and die, the chicks may be rejected, leaving you to handrear them around the clock (can only be done by someone who has been shown how by an expert. It is very easy to choke a bird) The birds must be on the best diet possible to breed (should be anytime, but more important when breeding)

Birds cannot live on seed alone. Its like a human eating nothing but bread. In many books and websites the lifespan of the budgie is said to be around 7 years. A budgie should live up to 15 years or more. Feeding seeds alone will cause an early death, malnutrition, fatty liver disease, etc. and probably costly vet bills.
    The easiest way around this is to feed Harrisons Organic bird pellets. This is what my birds eat, along with a little seed and veg. Its the best food on the market. Either that or feed your birds carrot, spinach, broccoli, etc. EVERY DAY! The veg should make up about 2 thirds of their diet.

As for taming, well 2 birds are much harder to tame than a singular bird, and since your birds are a year old, its too late to tame them really. You could separate them and reintroduce them when or if you have succeeded to tame them. The male has a good chance of becoming more tame with separation and lots of taming every day. You just need to gain his trust, and get him used to your hand. Thats all it takes.

Heres a good site.

http://budgies.ubergoth.net/

Good luck!!

Advertisement