Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radon

• 04-11-2003 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has had their house tested for Radon?

We all learned about it at school, but I was reading through some statistics and it seems that the average Radon level in houses (90 Bq/m3) is just under half the level that can cause fatal lung cancer.

2500 Irish homes have been identified as at this level (200 Bq/m3 ) and it seems that 1/50 people exposed continuously will develop lung cancer, depending on the length and strength of exposure.

It seems too that smokers exposed at this level have a greater than average risk and those in non-smoking environments (non-passive) are lower than average at this level.

Anyways, scientists in the US seem to think its a bigger risk than most thought (article) just wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

I had mine tested. We had it done through physics class. I had the detector in my house for 6 months. The level was 50 Bqs so im safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

had it done as part of a nationwide survey
    was really low
    so I'm safe
    all new houses are required to have radon barrier in place when built ( baiscally a plastice sheet with an exit pipe)

houses most at risk are those in areas with large granite concentration i.e wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

pretty much any house built on igneous rock, such as basalt, granite etc.

houses should have good ventilation at ground level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Haven't tested it.

I understand that Galway has a particularly bad case of it though. I recall from college lectures that the Salthill area has some obscenely high levels of radon in the home...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is Radon only a problem in granite areas ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Nope Radon occurs from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils, not just Granite.

Advertisement