Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Hub/Router - IOLBB - What to get??

Options
  • 04-11-2003 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭

Firstly I'm a real noob when it comes to this networking stuff - but I'm quite willing to take any help/advice you guys are willing to give!. My set-up is so, I have IOLBB(PPPoE) set up on my PC and ICS(Internet Connection Sharing) which should give internet to a second computer connected to mine through the LAN(Ethernet). It does do that for the most part....my sister plays a lot of online games Half-life mods, you can browse from the computer except for one or two sites i.e. theinquirer.net or iol.ie which refuse to resolve. Well I have been trying to fix this problem but it now turns out I was wasting my time, my sis will be getting her own comp. This means 3 computers all attached to the network which means a hub. Now I would dearly love to let the hub take care of all the internet connection stuff therefore the connection would be on all the time, meaning there would'nt be a need for my computer to be on if the Internet is to be used.

This is were my questions start I believe this is all perfectly possible right?, I'm not asking for the impossible?:p . So I need a Hub or Router that can handle ADSL and PPPoE so I check out Komplett. I find this router here(komplett link need to click twice *I think* before they return right page) it has all the right buzz words, there is also this which again seems to have everything I need(but looks better). Is this the sort of thing I'm looking for?, the only thing is that my USB ADSL modem has only RJ11 sockets so I dont see how I can connect it to these. One other thing is that I already have X-over cable laid down between the two computers can I still use it to connect the computer to the router "auto-correction of twisted-pair polarity reverse" is mentioned by one of the routers does that mean I dont afto re-lay Patch wire?. I'll stop now but if there is anyone out there with this kinda setup could you tell me if these routers are what I'm looking for, Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Both would do what you want for you, but the only problem is your modem. The only router than I've seen that can connect with USB is the DrayTek Vigor 2200USB. Your choices are either get this router, get an ethernet modem so you can use any broadband router, or get a router with an in-built modem. I'd go with number 3. Among other things, it's probably the cheapest option. Komplett doesn't have any though, but here's a list of suitable models from dslwarehouse.

http://www.dsl-warehouse.ie/products.asp?pm=1530

And yes, afaik "auto-correction of twisted-pair polarity reverse" would mean you can keep your x-over cable. If the router doesn't have this you could always rewire one of the ends. Not as difficult as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

option three is the way to go allright.
    Personally I'd go for the "Netgear DG834" on that page.
    The built in firewall is proably going to save you some hassle in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Wow those are steep prices but I suppose it's a pain to go trough the current set-up that I have now and if this eliminates it it will be worth it. I don't need a comp on for this to work right it's independent?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Getting an ethernet modem will cost you about €100 and then you have to get a router as well as that, so €135 for a combi isn't that bad value. It's far better than a USB modem as well.

You just need a web browser to set it up and configure it for the first time it, and then the router can run completely indepentant of any computer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm using a Dlink504 to connect 4 PC's to Eircom DSL. Its a 4 port Switch with built in DSL modem
    Its very easy to set up thanks to the routers web browser interface. I got mine from www.elara.ie if you want to take a look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

thats right OfflerCrocGod.
    (depending on the box) once set up, the box will interface with the adsl, route packets between it and your private LAN, and even DHCP IP addresses to your LAN computers if you want.

you just plug in the box into the asdl microfilter, and your various computers into the back of the box. you *might* need to do a bit of browser-based setup to set the asdl phone numbers / DHCP / other setup options.

all in all, an easy enough job.

Advertisement