Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

finnish for beginners

• 04-11-2003 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

just to recap. i'm studying (formal) finnish here in helsinki, and here are some of the resources we use (occasionaly)

suomea ole hyvä

and then a verb table:

verbimuodot

the hardest thing i find with learning finnish, it that the formal/written finnish snt what is spoken by the people. the spoken language is shorter and leaves out many syllables and the endings of words. i was talking to a person i know here at a party the other day, and he is in acting school with lots of other finns from different part of helsinki/finland, and he sometimes has difficulty understanding the words other finns use. the formal finnish seems to be a compromise language used in buisness/television/newspapers etc, but not much by the populice at large. that is one of reasons why its difficult.

also, its a very mathamatical language, word endings change for every circumstance. stick with it though, it is very rewarding.

dw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

good post drrnwbb.

checking & bookmarking those links now...

how many years have you been learning Finnish btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

not too long, just since febuary. i study it 5ish hours a day here in a school in helsinki.

dw

here is some more links.

i was at a education seminar thingy today for immigrants into finland. these people organised it. some really good links on that page.

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 45 manzana

hi drrn,

still in ireland or are you in finland? my finnish is probably really bad but how about ... joku guinness ilta joskus? jos satut olemaan corkin lähellä.. :p

unohdin - suomi-board > täällä. there are boards in otehr languages too - ja aihe on periaattessa syömishäiriöt, mutta saa siellä muistakin asioista puhua. (and they never wait the non-natives to speak perfect. so pop in for a chat! ) :D

(sori, board on down tänään mutta huomenna pitäisi taas toimia)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by manzana
    hi drrn,

still in ireland or are you in finland? my finnish is probably really bad but how about ... joku guinness ilta joskus? jos satut olemaan corkin lähellä.. :p

kyllä, olen helsingissä nyt, minun suomenkieli kurssi on lopetanut ja nyt olen etsimässä työpaikka (uhoh). kiitos kutsusta!

dw

oh welll ... :p onnea työn etsintään ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

do you have anything more basic? I was lost in that first link and the others wern't great either

oh well. sorry, the hard drive of where that board is hosted crashed a few weeks ago, and it's not set back up yet fully working.. i'm trying to figure where is the problem now.

there may be some links to some boards in finnish in www.city.fi - they have their boards there for the readers of a big magazine but that's to a very big degree spoken language written, so it'll be hard to understand. you could try posting somehitng in city.fi boards, asking if anyone knows where to start. :)

a board wouldn't be much use to me, I only have a noun or two, thats it. Were starting from scratch here. I'll get my gf to check the above sites.

Thanks for the help anyway

• Advertisement

Unpossible: where are you in finland? there might be some local courses that you could go to. here in helsinki the university and the työväenopisto both have very very cheap courses. take your time learning the lingo and get your gf to speak as much finnish as possible to you as you are learning.

dw

Im in varkaus and spend my days working so it would have to be a night course (or should that read a bright evening course?). TBH I really should put more effort into learning, but right now ppl at work and in the shops all speak english to me so...

unpossible, you need to find a finnish girl who can teach you. and who is patient. finnish is very hard to learn .. but not impossible. they had like 10-15 y ago a few foreigners in tv, and that was a lot. e.g. neil hardwich was british and had been there like 20 years .. so he was fluent and had both insider and outsider views.

or another way, a group of people where some people speak good finnish and some are foreigners.

if you were in lahti, i'd tell you to go to teerenpeli (pub) on fridays. it's not that far from varkaus though .. if you go there, tell a hi' to claudio. he knows where to start. there are a lot of friends of mine there... if thye still are in finland ;)

Advertisement