Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland -v- Canada [merged]

• 04-11-2003 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering is anyone going to this match. I can't see a lot of people going since the failure to qualify for Euro 2004. I think I'll just watch it at home.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

first i have heard of it. when is it on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Thats what I mean Mossy, its not very well publicised. We were supposed to be playing Czech Republic but the Czech's cancelled the match. The Czech's will now play Canada on the 15th of this month and we will also play Canada on the 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Perhaps the prospect of the most average Irish team in years versus Canada, one of the most boring teams on Earth, is not one that everyone is slavering over...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I'd imagine a lot of Irish players will get "injured" in the run-up to this one... and who'd blame them?

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Perhaps the prospect of the most average Irish team in years...
    Stop flattering the old Irish teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I, for one, will be going, I think it'll give Kerr a chance to try out some of the younger lads likes the two Reids and Miller etc

It might not be one of the most thrilling matches I'll ever attend but I think it will be interesting to see who plays where...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley
    I'd imagine a lot of Irish players will get "injured" in the run-up to this one... and who'd blame them?

yeah or the amount of fair weather "fans" who wont bother going/tuning in

Well if you haven't got Sky Sports your gonna have to go to the match or the pub, otherwise you won't be seeing it. Thats one good thing about the Sky bid, the crowds will be bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

yup AndyReid and miller are both going to be in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Originally posted by Big Ears
    yup AndyReid and miller are both going to be in the squad.

about time too, but too late kerr, they should have been in the last squad. force kinsella to retire and make miller no1 in midfield, like a keano figure. play reid on the left of attack or midfield and have duffer in the same position, left attack or midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

make miller no1 in midfield,

He was certainly impressive last night. Had not seen much of him up to now but if he consistantly plays to that standard he should be in the national team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by The Muppet
    He was certainly impressive last night. Had not seen much of him up to now but if he consistantly plays to that standard he should be in the national team.
    yeah he's playing some football at celtic bagged a few goals aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Quote:
    Just wondering is anyone going to this match. I can't see a lot of people going since the failure to qualify for Euro 2004. I think I'll just watch it at home.

Another reason for not going might be the ticket price. 34 euro for a stand ticket !! A f***ing joke !

Tinky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Another reason is that Canada are a terrible team,and its going to be (I bloody well hope so anyway), Ireland dominating the pitch.

Think about it. Would you rather watch Ireland v Holland on the brink of qualifying for the world cup in korea/japan, or would you rather watch Ireland v Canada in a friendly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

miller on the right or centre midfield???

Discuss.....

34euro for a stand ticket for a friendly,even if they were playing brazil or france they shouldnt charge that.absoluetely crazy,when will the FAI get a reality check?NOBODY should pay those prices

WHAT??!! 34 euro for a stand ticket in a friendly! thats ridiculous. be reasonable fai, you should be trying to get a full house with low price tickets rather than get half a crowd with expensive tickets.

there'l be no atmosphere and probably half a crowd so i definately wont be going. (still annoyed with the performance against swiss aswell).

as for miller, id put him on the right with healy and holland in the centre, duff on the left. all our football is played on the left, we need a bit of class down the right too.

..holland? Personally,I hope Andy Reid gets a start..

yes holland along with healy in the centre, duff on the left and miller on the right. i'd put reid playing just off keane up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

Well with the dismal euro campaign behind us I'm excited about the next couple of years with quality like Miller and Reid blossoming. The World Cup draw is on december 5th and Kerr has a good year to build a fresh team(midfield!) for that. The new boys is enough to attract me to go along on Tuesday.
    The Stands are a rip-off but Terrace tickets are €15 and a better buzz too!

I'm just wondering what the best positions for Duff, Andy Reid and Miller will be for the future. I'd like to see a definate 11 established for the next campaign.

Duff - left/right/forward
    Reid - left/forward???...i've yet to see him play
    Miller - right/middle

• Advertisement

It looks like Liam Miller will miss the match with a hamstring strain so thats him, Breen, O'Brien and Finnan now out which is really bad news. I wanted to see Finnan at left back, O'Brien at centre half and Miller play anywhere but we'll have to wait for the next friendly. The good news though (for the Forest fans anway) is that John Thompson has been called in. Other news is that Kavanagh will definitely start. I'd go with this selection:

Keane

A.Reid
    Duff----Delap
    Kavanagh----Miller(S.Reid if injured)

O'Shea----Thompson----Cunn.----Carr

Colgan

Before I start my discussion I want to say that I didn't even think about Doherty, Harte and Kilbane for obvious reasons.

Given should get the night off and give Colgan a chance. Its between O'Shea and Harte for left back so that has to be O'Shea. We only have three centre halfs since O'Shea is on the left and I'm not fond of the Richie "The Honey Monster" Dunne so the to CB's dont need any justification and Thompson is Forests number one in that position at the ripe age of 22. Only one choice for the right back slot with Thompson in the centre.

Picking the midfield is the fun part. Duff has to start in his favourite position and Kerr said he is definitely starting with Kavanagh. There are two candidates for the right of midfield so Miller would be the first choice but if he's injured it has to be Reid. Reid isn't playing well ATM but he isn't Blackburns first choice RM which leaves him playing at RB and he is the only player that can play at RM for us if Miller's out. I want to see Delap playing for Ireland and he is a defensive minded player which will keep our midfield in shape. I hate playing a left footer on the right wing so the only position left for A.Reid is behind Keano.

We only have two forwards in the squad and I am not fond of sloppy Morrison who isn't even getting his game ATM so I'd love to see Keane up front on his own as we have no shortage of goalscorers in Duff, Miller and A.Reid.

It should be fun to see who gets picked though. The players who I didn't really mention are Murphy, Dunne, Healy, Holland and Mcphail should come on during the second half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I hear one of the Canadian players once had a solicitor who knew someone whose sister once snogged a Rangers supporter - while very drunk.

I'd say that player will get booed heavily on Tuesday night

Healy is now also out of the match with a foot injury but I don't think he would have played anyway.

here's a good article about Graeme Kavanagh. If anyone desrved an Irish call up this is the man, I never knew he was voted on to the Second Division team of the season for five years in a row, what an achievement (even though its just the second division, he deserved better). He is 30 years of age but he will still be young enough to play in the World Cup and we only have 2 or 3 experienced players in the team so we need someone like him.

Here's the team Kerr has named:

Keane
    Doherty

A.Reid
    Duff
    Kavanagh
    S.Reid

O'Shea
    Cunningham
    Dunne
    Carr

Given

At least Kerr has noticed that Morrison is just not up to the international level but either is Doherty. I'm not fond of Dunne either but I'd say Thompson will come on at half time. Take Doc off and Delap on and it would be a nice 4-5-1. I actually have a feeling Doc will score tonight.:D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

4-0 to Ireland, me thinks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭colster

Originally posted by eireboy
    Here's the team Kerr has named:

Keane
    Doherty

A.Reid
    Duff
    Kavanagh
    S.Reid

O'Shea
    Cunningham
    Dunne
    Carr

Given

At least Kerr has noticed that Morrison is just not up to the international level but either is Doherty. I'm not fond of Dunne either but I'd say Thompson will come on at half time. Take Doc off and Delap on and it would be a nice 4-5-1. I actually have a feeling Doc will score tonight.:D

Did he give the formation as well.
    I reckon the formation will be

Given

Carr Cunningham Dunne O'Shea

Duff S.Reid Kavanagh A.Reid

Keane Doherty

I'm looking forward to seeing how Andy Reid plays and how Stephen Reid performs in a central midfield role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

the teams already been named :)

and the man Andy is going to start :D

link

Originally posted by colster
    Did he give the formation as well.
    I reckon the formation will be

Given

Carr Cunningham Dunne O'Shea

Duff S.Reid Kavanagh A.Reid

Keane Doherty

I'm looking forward to seeing how Andy Reid plays and how Stephen Reid performs in a central midfield role.
    Stephen Reid will definitely be playnig on the right. Probably Duff in the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I wouldn't go underestimating the Canadians, Canucks are tricky, They have Paul Peschisolido! Remember him?

My team: Given

Carr O'Shea Cunningham Harte

Partridge Holland S.Reid Duff

A.Reid
    Keane

Bench:
    J.Murphy
    G.Crowe
    C.Morrison
    Healy
    Miller
    R.Dunne
    B.Ryan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

<OT>
    Oh god what a hideous URL.
    </OT>

I would like to watch Andy Reid play but no Sky Sports. My thanks to the FAI for that too.

Really looking forward to seeing some of our future hopes playing tonight. Heres hoping for a positive performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

i was reading a few forum's .it's funny canidian's think they can win .... either their just blind to the fact their team is **** or where after loseing a lot of respect over sea's

ah well

it will be 2-0 or maybe 3-0 to ireland
    Either way we will win

im not even goin to pick a side, wont waste my energy. ive still not forgiven anyone for not qualifying for euro 2004.

the young debutants are innocent, the rest of the squad have disappointed everyone including kerr. until we get a PERFORMANCE i'll not be praising anyone.

im not going to have a liverpool setup were everyone's happy if we win, WE MUST PERFORM. this friendly means nothing, theres nothing at stake so theres no pressure, hence, we will probably see a good performance which will fool everyone into thinking we have a squad and manager capable of going far.

this friendly means nothing, theres nothing at stake so theres no pressure,

I would normally agree that friendlies prove very little but with us going into a rebuilding phase and a few of the young guys coming into the team tonight this one does have a certain importance.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by The Muppet
    I would normally agree that friendlies prove very little but with us going into a rebuilding phase and a few of the young guys coming into the team tonight this one does have a certain importance.

true, for the likes of reid it will show us what he's made of, see what he can do. for the likes of carr, harte, holland etc they probably will perform which would annoy me, these are the same players that shamed the country a month ago.

fresh air players, that what they are, need to be led by someone. cant handle pressure, wont fight or battle for their country.

Us not qualifying for Euro 2004 means we can put all our focus on the World Cup in Germany which is, IMO, about 5 times more important. This friendly is the first of a few we are going to be playing before the qualifying starts. We are going to play around 4/5 friendlies and the possibility of a tournament in the US.

So that is between 5-8 friendlies before the qualifying which is crucial to get to grips with our starting 11 and give the new players time to settle in. If we had've qualified for Euro 2004 we would have played no friendlies after the tournament and we all know what happened the last time we jumped into qualifiers straight after a major tournament.

Also since we didn't qualify for Portugal, if we do qualify for Germany it will be absolutely packed with the Irish as most of us have never been at a major tournament as the last two that Ireland have qualified for were in Korea/Japan and America. Remember the amount of Irish at Ireland-v- Italy, this will have a lot more than that. I can see about 300,000 Irish going to Germany if we qualify since Robbie Williams attracted 135,000 Irish.;)

Originally posted by eireboy
    I can see about 300,000 Irish going to Germany if we qualify since Robbie Williams attracted 135,000 Irish.;)

common, over a quarter of a million going to germany?? :D getting a bit carried away there. so your saying your happy we didnt qualify for euro 2004??

friendlies dont test players the same way competitive matches are. injuries, faked injuries and youngsters in both our and the opposition side mean friendlies are about 1/50 as important as competitive matches.

the effect roy keane had on the side is now showing and all those people that said and still say we dont need him are now eating their own words.

It wasn't a very good performance and if we were playing against a big team we would have been destroyed. Also, fair play to the fans who went to the match but the silence reminded me of Ewood Park. 24,000? More like 2,400.

We played diabolicle on both sides with the exception of Duff. What is up with Carr in recent games for Ireland? Reid is a crap player (judging from nearly every game he played for both Ireland and Blackburn) and we are lucky to have Miller coming in. And John O'Shea, I have always said he is overrated because he plays for United and tonight didn't do him any favours. O'Shea has never had a good game for Ireland and the only reason he is playing at left back is because Harte is no better. Looks like Finnan will have to play at left back and Carr should get his form back. You could say O'Shea will get his form back but he won't get any better than tonight, that is John O'Shea.

Up front, that must have been Doherty's last chance and he was only playing to add height to the team. Also, he still hasn't learnt the offside rule and I ofton wonder how the hell he got a game for Ireland in the first place. Morrison didn't get much of a chance but he was on for 45 minutes and should have picked the ball up a lot more, he is no better than Doc in my opinion and no matter how much they both score they are not fit for the international stage.

The rest of the players I didn't mention all played well. I really feel sorry for Kavanagh though, he is such a good player and had to go through relegation, two failures for promotion in playoffs and now his first international start ends in 5 minutes. Andy Reid was very impressive and he is such a good crosser of the ball and determined to win everything. Matt Holland played his best game for Ireland in a long time and he is also playing very well for Charlton ATM. Dunne was very good defensively but not very good with his passes and when he's on the ball for more than 3 seconds he panics. Duff, Keane, Cunningham and Given were there usual self which, as you all know, is very good.

Keane was DIY'ing it a bit imo... which I suppose isnt that bad, considering the other options he had.

But really, what was with that shot from around the half way line?

• Advertisement

Will people ever shut the ****ing hell up about roy keane?
    Was there ever a match Ireland had that was commented about on boards, that did not mention how different it would've been if roy keane had been there? Really, we might as well be saying how different things would've been if Zinedine Zidane was there. Neither play for Ireland, get over it.

And I agree eire, a more 'local' world cup would draw irish fans in their tens of thousands. It'd be a nice sight :)

Originally posted by smemon
    common, over a quarter of a million going to germany?? :D getting a bit carried away there. so your saying your happy we didnt qualify for euro 2004??
    I was being half sarcasticin my last post but when I think of it there could well be a quarter of a million Irish in Germany in 2006. There are 4,000,000 people living in this country and then probably an extra 2,000,000 so-called Irish and Irish abroad. That means if a quarter of a million Irish went to the World Cup it would be 1 in every 20-25 people.

If Celtic could get 80,000 fans over to Portugal for the final of the UEFA cup i'm sure we can get about three times that to Germany for stage which is a lot bigger than the UEFA cup.

BTW-When did I say I was happy that Ireland didn't qualify for Euro 2004? I was taking the positives out of what we have and its time to get over it smemon. And if you want to get a little bit of respect on this forum you will have to stop saying things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

What I think we need is a really strong leader in the middle, and to me the obvious choice seems to be Duff. I know hes young but hes essentially the best player, has incredible spirit, and is constanting pushing for the team to work harder.

Cunningham is good and all, but will he even make it to the next world cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

poor match...

still think Duff should play up front ... until we get a decent forward to play along side Robbie...

whats the craic with Kerr and the suit? fai must be paying him some money... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Tellox
    Will people ever shut the ****ing hell up about roy keane?
    Was there ever a match Ireland had that was commented about on boards, that did not mention how different it would've been if roy keane had been there? Really, we might as well be saying how different things would've been if Zinedine Zidane was there. Neither play for Ireland, get over it.

And I agree eire, a more 'local' world cup would draw irish fans in their tens of thousands. It'd be a nice sight :)

I agree. Any ****ing thread I read on this board involving Ireland has some eejit like smemon talking about Roy Keane. Jesus. Shut the fúck up!! I think the word Roy Keane should be censored just on this board ala búbbles.

As for the match. Well... we would have lost had we been playing a "real" team. Even when Duff came off you could see the Canadians getting better :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Nice little write up by the sun, looks like young Andy will hopefully be making a few more appearances for Ireland :D

the sun

play kilbane left back.he nightnt have much abilty but o'shea or harte arent shining there either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

we got what we needed a good win

Canada is crap but winning 3-0 and seeing what the like's of andy reid can do will surely get moral up in the team

Originally posted by bizmark
    we got what we needed a good win

we needed a good performance, not a win. the passing at times was very poor and the game just died at times for 5 minute spells. duff was by far irelands best player, reid coming 2nd, constantly switched the play beautifully. o'shea played well, a solid performance at left back, gave nothing away.

carr was poor again, doherty useless. not a chant or roar from the crowd the whole night long, 20,000+ and that really kills a game, no atmosphere and each team giving the ball away in midfield. canada had as many chances as us and if they had a a half decent striker up front they could easily have drawn.

we win 3-0 when theres no pressure, it was expected. the same way at least a draw in switzerland was expected. the difference?- our players are bluffers, cant handle any sort of pressure. people will forgive and forget that disgraceful performance in switzerland, i wont.

arent people saying rip-off ireland is as it is because we dont complain enough?? its the same with football, we accept 2nd best and dont give a toss whether we win or lose. its one thing looking on the positive side, but doing it all the time is not right.

Originally posted by smemon
    we needed a good performance, not a win. the passing at times was very poor and the game just died at times for 5 minute spells. duff was by far irelands best player, reid coming 2nd, constantly switched the play beautifully. o'shea played well, a solid performance at left back, gave nothing away.

carr was poor again, doherty useless. not a chant or roar from the crowd the whole night long, 20,000+ and that really kills a game, no atmosphere and each team giving the ball away in midfield. canada had as many chances as us and if they had a a half decent striker up front they could easily have drawn.

we win 3-0 when theres no pressure, it was expected. the same way at least a draw in switzerland was expected. the difference?- our players are bluffers, cant handle any sort of pressure. people will forgive and forget that disgraceful performance in switzerland, i wont.

arent people saying rip-off ireland is as it is because we dont complain enough?? its the same with football, we accept 2nd best and dont give a toss whether we win or lose. its one thing looking on the positive side, but doing it all the time is not right.
    FFS Smemon, O'Shea had a terrible game and he has never had a good game Ireland. You are telling us we accept second best and we are giving Ireland praise when they lose, you give O'Shea praise ever time he plays crap because you are a United supporter. Solid, my arse!

You have a hard time getting rid of bad memeries from your head smemon, Roy Keane retiring, now Ireland failing to qualify for the European championships. We were all frustrated watching Ireland play against Switzerland and dissapointed at the teams performance in the tournament as a whole but we cannot go back in time. Unless you want to get rid of everyone who played bad against the Swizz (which is everyone but Duff) you will have to forgive them and get on with the rest of the matches.

• Advertisement
Advertisement