Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining tables together in Java

Options
  • 04-11-2003 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I have created a Java application which using a simple socket gets vectors from a database source.

The problem is that when the "Get Movies" button is click it should send the vectors from both Tables in the database source.

I thought using "SELECT * FROM Cassette_Table, DVD_Table" would work but it only gets the results from the Cassette Table.

Here is the code for both the client and server

MovieClient MovieCollectionServer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

SELECT * FROM Cassette_Table, DVD_Table

should give you a cartesian product join of the tables. E.g. if Cassette_Table had the following records:

ID Name
    1 CA
    2 CB

And DVD_Table had the following records:

ID Name
    11 DA
    12 DB

Then the results would be:
    ID Name ID Name
    1 CA 11 DA
    1 CA 12 DB
    2 CB 11 DA
    2 CB 12 DB

If I understand correctly what you want to do is to have the results of the two tables added together, which is not what is called a "Join" in SQL, rather it's a Union:

SELECT * FROM Cassette_Table
    UNION
    SELECT * DVD_Table

It's generally a good idea to be have a specific column list with this (actually it's advisable anyway). By default "UNION" is short for "UNION ALL", "UNION DISTINCT" won't add entries from the second table if they are duplicates of entries from the second table. This is less efficient but sometimes important.

None of this has anything to do with Java.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Thanks for the help but that just seems to crash the application.

I think i need to add the vectors together before it sends it back client

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Are the columns in Cassette_Table the same as the columns in DVD_Table? If not, this is probably why an exception is being thrown. You'll need to put in a column list so that the two result sets have the same column types. I suggest that you try to get the query working before you do anything else. You'll need to use a UNION, as mentioned, or run two queries and combine the results.

Also, you know you can use RMI instead of passing messages through sockets? This would handle the serialization for you. And if you are going to use messages, you should have them as constants ( such as 'public static final String MOVIES = "MOVIES"; ' this is just good practice ). It also looks like if the SQL statement excepts, the client is left waiting for data that will never arrive, so you should send it a error condition.

Zab

Advertisement