Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBM making new processor for XBox 2

Options
  • 04-11-2003 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

The next version of the Xbox will not be based on the x86 architecture

might not be the case.

Pulled shamelessly from eurogamer.net
    Some coverage of the deal, based on pre-release viewings of the press statement we reckon, suggests that the arrangement is more about manufacturing than CPU development.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Game on! Technology Group wins Xbox chip

November 3, 2003

Microsoft has selected IBM over Intel for the microprocessor technology that will power the next generation of the Xbox game console.

IBM earned this business because of its advanced chip technologies and deep development capabilities — required to create the chips that will provide the performance the future Xbox will need — which no one else in the industry can provide. The new Xbox systems will use chips based on IBM's family of state-of-the art processors.

"Competitive gamers are looking for gamemakers to provide greater functionality in game systems — higher resolution and more realistic graphics, better sound quality, faster system response, wireless features, enhanced online gaming capabilities, even two-way audio," said John E. Kelly, III, senior vice president and group executive. "And the gamemakers are looking to us for technology that can deliver that kind of gaming experience."

IBM also is working with Sony Computer Entertainment to develop the processor for the next version of its Playstation game system, Playstation3. With involvement in both Xbox and Playstation3, IBM is the future of gaming when it comes to chips.

Intel: Denied!

Winning this deal unseats Intel, which provides the processors for the current Xbox systems. This is the second time in recent months that IBM has handed Intel such a setback. Earlier this year, IBM won the business to provide the processors for Apple's new G5 personal computer over Intel.

"We kept Intel out of the Apple G5 and now we've kicked them out of Xbox," said Jeff VerHeul, vice president, Engineering and Technology Services, who leads the team that won the Xbox business. "Not bad, considering one Intel executive recently called us 'trivial.' I wonder how trivial he thinks we are now."

VerHeul said time-to-market, flexibility, and price also were critical factors in Microsoft's decision to choose IBM, because the gaming industry moves so quickly and is so competitive. IBM's ability to do everything from design through manufacturing makes it especially attractive to Microsoft.

The deal establishes IBM as the leading supplier of advanced chip technology to the gaming industry. IBM currently makes the processors for Nintendo's GameCube systems and recently began shipping in volume the GeForce FX advanced graphics processor for NVIDIA, the premier supplier of graphics chips for the gaming industry.

Two years ago, IBM began working with Sony to develop the processor for the next generation of its game system, PlayStation3. And now IBM has won the next-generation Xbox.

Growing market, growing opportunity

Game systems and games are among of the fastest growing segments of the consumer electronics market. Analysts estimate that the worldwide market for games and systems was roughly $20.7 billion last year and is expected to grow to as much as $30 billion by 2007.

Mouse over the map to see how each TG location will participate in XBox.

This deal takes advantage of IBM's full scope of chip capabilities, with many of TG's major worldwide operations involved — design in Rochester, development in Austin and RTP, manufacturing and packaging in East Fishkill, and mask and test work in Burlington.

"That exemplifies the type of deals we want to sign — ones that use our full expertise and capabilities, and allow us to capture a substantial portion of growing gaming market revenue," said Dr. Kelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by DjTaz
    Game on! Technology Group wins Xbox chip

November 3, 2003

"We kept Intel out of the Apple G5 and now we've kicked them out of Xbox," said Jeff VerHeul, vice president, Engineering and Technology Services, who leads the team that won the Xbox business. "Not bad, considering one Intel executive recently called us 'trivial.' I wonder how trivial he thinks we are now."

Them sounds like fightin' words.
    I wonder if that (intranet) site had "IBM Confidential" written on it! :eek:

And now we have a new oxymoron: International Business Machines, powering the video game world. :D

Matt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And now we have a new oxymoron: International Business Machines, powering the video game world.

Kind of old news considering that IBM made the Gamecube processor. I wonder if IBM are developing the processor for the next Nintendo console as well. Come to think of it I wonder if ATI are doing the graphics chipset for the new nintendo console and the xbox2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by smiaras
    According to Doherty, Microsoft plans to announce the next version of Xbox in January and to be on sale in the Fall of 2004 in time for the holiday shopping season.

Does this development period seem very short to anyone else?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    Kind of old news considering that IBM made the Gamecube processor. I wonder if IBM are developing the processor for the next Nintendo console as well. Come to think of it I wonder if ATI are doing the graphics chipset for the new nintendo console and the xbox2.

Unless you consider the GC/Nintendo the be-all-and-end-all of Video Gaming, this is not old news... Oh wait... you do? :rolleyes:

Matt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unless you consider the GC/Nintendo the be-all-and-end-all of Video Gaming, this is not old news... Oh wait... you do?

Sorry about making an informed comment. But I don't see how that comment relates to what I just said.

As for Nintendo. They are a company that makes stupid mistakes but also makes some extremely good games. And for your information, apart from a gameboy the GC is the first Nintendo console I ever owned.

Ill make it real simple: IBM now design and manufacture critical parts of the major hardware platforms in the Video Game industry.
    Notice the now, which means that before this they merely manufactured one part for one Vendor. Now they are making at least three different vendor's parts within the Video Game\(or if you will) Computer Entertainment Industry and this time round they are working with the Industry powerhouses.

Therefore, it cannot be old news that IBM is now (theres the key word again) firmly entrenced in the Video Game Industry, no matter how "informed" you claim to be.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Yea it has been confirmed that Radeon will be making the GPU for the Xbox2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Does this development period seem very short to anyone else?

I echo that as well, why bring out a new box, when the old ones just getting off the ground with X-BOX LIVE etc etc

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I highly doubt that the X-box 2 will be complete by AUTUMN 2004 ide say more like 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

Matt - i just double checked the intranet news section - nope it doesnt say IBM CONFIDENTIAL :p (thanks for worrying about my job security though) ;)

Another small point ... the name IBM (International Business Machines) was thought up quite a while back before the whole gaming scene was in place.

IBM seem to pride themselves in having a hand in everything technoligical as it were. If its a gadget - they want to know about it.The whole business machine part pretty much encompases the whole MARS theory of thinking these days (work rest and play).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

So the new X-Box is basicly a Mac at heart?

Will there be a free berét with every console purchased on launch day?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Microsoft showing its noticed where the quality is...
    Which current console has graphics by ATI and and processor by IBM? oh yeah, the GameCube.

Advertisement