Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike Licence - next step?

Options
  • 04-11-2003 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

I'm coming to the end of my first year under a provisional motorbike licence and would like to know what the next step is. I can't find anywhere online that has this information, which seems a bit daft, so was hoping someone here could help me out.

I'm on a provisional A1 licence, the basic one, so when I go to renew it I'll have to go the next one, but which is that? Do I have to take a test? Do you reckon it'll lower my insurance costs?

Eventually I'd like a bigger bike (I'm just driving a Honda Shadow 90cc now), something like the Suzuki Bandit 600, but eventually getting up to the lofty heights of the Aprilia Caponord Rally, definitely the coolest bike I've seen in recent times. I'm assuming that for at least the next year I'm restricted to under 33bhp?

Also, my insurance is through Aon - not sure if they are the cheapest company for bikes, particularly below 125cc.

Thanks,

Si.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Did ye try Oasis.gov.ie

Sorry, short and sweet.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

SuprSi, a couple of points:

A provisional licence is valid for 2 years. So no need to renew it.
    You do have to apply for your test before a third provisional will be issued.
    Hibernian have a 35% loading on provisional licence holders, so do your test and save money. The test is not difficult. The only thing is the waiting list is nearly a year :mad: AON are only a broker and the insurance is with Hibernian. But AON are generally cheaper than directly going with Hibernian. Carole Nash aren't an option. I qualify for CN but a third party policy with CN was dearer thatn a fully comp policy with Hib! Mad or wha'?

Another thing, an A1 and A licence are different. You've gone for an A1 licence on account of age. If you're 18 now, apply for an A provisional licence. It'll save you having to do a test and probably training in future. There will be a CBT next year. When doing the A test, you can hire a bike over 150cc from ISM.

On a provisional licence you are restriced to 33BHP. One thing to note is the insurance company will not reclassify a bike based on the restrictor unless it's factory fitted. So for your Bandit 600, it's a group 10 bike (out of 12) but a factory restricted B600 is group 5. Know someone aged 30 and this makes a difference of 1000 euros. Check out prices on Hibernain Direct You'll probably have to buy new to get this type of restricted bike or find someone who's 'restricted period' is up.

The restriction continues for 2 years after you get your full licence :( That is unless we get a DAS like in the UK. But that's a way off I expect. The restriction will be over on my licence before that's likely.

Kawaski centre on Wexford street sells restricted Bandit. About 8 grand. You might be able to buy in the UK or mainland Europe cheaper. The VRT calculations is different to cars. I don't have a URL but you can look into this if you're interested. I think it's no more than 700-800 on a 600cc bike.

-ao-

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Cheers shurl, hadn't seen that one - quite a lot of info there.

a_ominous - cheers for those points. I'm 27, and was given the A1 provisional licence without me knowing any different in the tax office. Could I have gone for the A prov originally? What you're suggesting is that I apply for the A prov now? I'll have had the licence for a year in the middle of December.

That thing about keeping the restriction for 2 years after you get your full licence seems ridiculous! In other words, even if I could afford the bike and insurance, I wouldn't be able to drive an unrestricted 'large' bike for 3 more years!!

Ah well, Caponord will have to wait! :(

Thanks again,

Si.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Yup you could have applied for A licence. Only need to be 18 for that. I had assumed you applied for A1, and you only need to be 16 for that.

By appying for a provisional A licence now, you could also apply for test in A category not A1. If you do the test on current A1 licence, you'll have to do another test to ride bikes over 125cc. Which appears to be something you want.
    Just forget about the A1 licence and apply for the provisional A licence. Then when you get it, apply for the test. Depending on how good your riding is, you could go for a cancellation. But check out ISM for hiring a bike. Guess in the region of E125. That should include some pre test time to get used to the bike which I reckon you'll need.

I had a look at Hib site, guessing your occupation but insuring a Honda Shadow 90 costs over 1300 wit a provisional A1. A full A1 brings this down to just over a grand. A saving of 300 euro would cover cost of hiring a bike for the test and some lessons.

I hate having to pay insurance so one of my objectives was to do the test ASAP. I applied 2 months after I got the bike. Found out for A licence, the test has to be done on a bike over 150cc. So I replaced my first bike (it was underpowered for my commute). Got the test first time (well I've been driving cars for 20 years, full licence for about 12).

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

No problem SuprSi...

S.

• Advertisement
Advertisement