Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMG!!!!

Options
  • 16-09-1999 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

You also know that they were not going to be exported because they were classed as a "supercomputer"! This is being dumped tho'.
    But you have to admit those graphics are brilliant. But you also have to remember about the PSX that the first few games didnt nearly use the full "Power of Playstation", like look at Ridge Racer and compare it to Colin McRae or GT. FFVIII pushes the PSX to the limit from what I've seen of the screen shots, so then you have to take software development on the Playstation 2 into account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

emmmm, aren't we forgetting that the PSX is a machine limited to games?

A pc can do almost anything you want it to do (still trying to work on the morning coffee making thing), as long as people want more than just games, the PC will outstrip the consoles.

Now, if a pc were to suddenly jump in the 'prettiness' of it's output or consoles were to become more multipurpose, you'd quickly see one or the other in trouble.

I think the balance will remain as it is. PC will always be worse than console for games... but as an industry standard, the PC is still and always will be on top.

For reference, look at the Amiga. Not a bad little 'puter. Better graphics than the PC (at the time.. A500 I'm talking about) but even though it could do word processing etc.. it wasn't as good as the PC. It was like a cross between the atari and a pc, (atari st springs to mind).. Amiga flopped. Miserably (has it made it's comeback yet? I saw an internet site with Amiga browser options the other day).

So, sorry to say it, there's no doom and gloom pending in my opinion. Just plodding on as is... and developing lots more shades of brown..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

oops! sorry!

[This message has been edited by LoLth (edited 16-09-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

I read the first one. This is not important enough to post twice smile.gif .

Yeah, I know where you are coming from, but more and more people are buying PCs just for gaming and networking purposes. Why would nVidia and other companies pump so much money into developing hardware for PCs? PC would now be on a par with consoles but with the added addition of networking capabilities.

But if PC manufacturers cant keep up with the times and consoles start to outstrip PCs performance wise then people will turn back to consoles again and PCs would be left in the doldrums of office blocks for word processing. Sure all the new consoles will be bundled with modems and we'll have a load of newbies on the net with their new PSX2.

Isnt that what you bought your PC for, games etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I kind of agree with Helv..

Buy a machine here nowdays and you have a games machine/DVD movie player (which can hook up to TV) and internet access, accounts and office suite and full surround sound music system. Can a console do that?

Oh yea, apprantly the browser in Dreamcast is prehistoric and crashes or gets errors when connecting to pages designed for later browsers.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 16-09-99).]

But the graphics are pretty on the PSX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Dreamcast = £200
    PC For Playing Same Graphic Quality Games = £1,500 and up.

Is it worth spending all that money just so you can play ID's latest offering.

OK. Thats the whole debate. Like everything, it depends what you are looking for. If you just want to game and now the new consoles are going to let people on the web that s fine, get a Dreamcast. If you are dumb, cant install games and find the whole computer thing mind boggleing get a Mac. If you are of medium intellegence, have wads of money, dont mind that as soon as you get you computer there will be a better one in the next week, and need to use it for "work" (whats that?) get a PC.

Personally I really perfer playing games on a console more so than on a PC. Its got a more arcadey feel to it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

dont even bother trying to d/l those movies now, the demand is so high the site is totally swamped.

can we say 32bytes a sec?

Point is Death, Dreamcast only plays games. The internet software in it sucks big time. Also try more closer to $300 for the Dreamcast for to be able to play at least one game.

As for the if your dumb and poor get a mac. tongue.gif I'm not going to get into a Mac vs PC debate, both has pro's and cons. However as for ease of use, between the choice of spending 2 hours reinstalling/deleting stuff and trolling through reg file looking for what's causing a random crash and just pressing one key and checking what file causes the problem I'll take a mac thank you very much.

I now have two main machines at home...
    - P2 450 396MB Ram 24GIG HD = Games only
    - G3 400MHZ 128MB Ram powerbook = everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Get A Type Writer! smile.gif

Wot the Pc Does Things Other Than Games !

WEH sunglasses.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Look, I use my Pc for:

working out my finances
    doing artwork in photoshop
    maintaining my website
    a whole range of internetty stuff
    playing mp3's
    copying cd's
    programming

Consoles can't do most of that. Point is, a PC gives you almost unlimited options, it's just a question of what software you have.

I play Tekken on the PSX which I'll probably never do on a PC. And I play Civ2 on the PC which I'll probably never do on a console.

Give me a harddrive or give me death!! wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Erisian

And hey - consoles (at least so far) don't have a keyboard and mouse...
    WASD + mouse has to be worth an extra £1,000 at least for gaming...

Has anybody seen the movies from the first psx2 game Bouncer? The files are 3.3 meg each or so and if these are in-game the PC is doomed.....DOOMED!!!! (unless GeForce is as good as nVidia claim with their 50gflops...right!)

http://www.next-generation.com/jsmid/news/7673.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

They are ingame.

However, do remember that we won't see PSX2 out in Japan until next March at the earliest, and it won't be out in the US/Europe for about another 12-15 months after that. How far progressed will PC graphics be in 2 years time?

Ja,
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

Yeah, the movie looks amaaazing' but 18 months away? fu*k that!
    We'll have TnT3's, Voodoo-4's, and yet another 'new generation' of intel by then.

Oh that's a good one...
    what PC specs you guys think will be here in 18 months? (serioulsy)

-SMACK MY B1TCH UP-
    www.gibworld.com/mobius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Responding to a few points here...

Hobbes, the browser shipping with DreamCast is a variation on IE5. I haven't heard anything about "issues" with it, although I'm keeping an open mind, given the disastrous mess-up with the first WebTV systems.

Quake3 and Unreal Tournament are both unofficially earmarked to be transferred to the DreamCast.

Some of the first peripherals appearing will be a keyboard, mouse and zip drive. An external hard drive is in the works, and there's talk of developing a system for linking a DC to a printer.

I'm not saying that the DC is gonna replace the PC, just that for some people - a market similar to the webTV market - a DC may be all they need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

tribes 2 is going to the dreamcast aswell

vagga(never owned a console - not about to start now)bond

Hmmmmmmmm...seems to me that consoles are becoming more like PCs. Or correct me if I am wrong. Keyboard, mouse, hard drive, these seem to be PC components. Also the PSX2 is due to have a PCMCIA III expansion slot.

One thing that I think Sony have nailed is that they are not supplying a modem with their console. Well, especially for the states the modem is nearly dead and the PCMCIA slot will give them a great "bonus" point in terms of networking 'cos I'm sure there will also be a cable or ISDN TA released at the same time as the console.

It was on news.com Shinji. They tested the browser and most pages it either didn't work, got errors or crashed.

Also all Dreamcasts have a telnet server running. I think another of the ports open is 12345 (Netbus)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

shinji, the browser with the dreamcast doesn't support javascript properly. now thats a major issue for a start.

ButcherOfNog
    Hot Internet Virgins
    clans.quake.ie/hiv
    butcherofnog@quake.ie

• Advertisement

Oh dear that was a definate booboo

Advertisement