Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new puter

Options
  • 16-09-1999 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

Howdy, kind of same message as Zero's 'cept I have a a price range of 1000 pounds. Went to gateway site just to get an idea of

prices£ 824 excl. VAT, IR£ 997.04 incl. VAT

That is for config below
    Mouse: MS® IntelliMouse & Mouse pad
    Keyboard: Windows 105-key Keyboard
    External Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial Ports, 2 USB ports
    Monitor Service Program: One year Limited monitor Warranty
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 second edition on CD
    Monitor: 15" EV500 colour Monitor (13.9" viewable area) Subtract: IR£55 (IR£66.55 incl. VAT)
    Multimedia: Creative 1373 Digital Sound Card & Creative GCS200 Speakers
    Graphics Accelerator: VOODOO 3 3000 16MB Graphics Card
    Fax/Modem: Telepath Pro 56K Voice Modem with free gateway.net Internet Access
    Hard Drive: 20.5GB Western Digital Hard Drive Ultra ATA Add: IR£80 (IR£96.8 incl. VAT)
    Bios Chip: Phoenix BIOS
    CD-ROM: LG 17X min/40X max IDE CD-ROM Subtract: IR£50 (IR£60.5 incl. VAT)
    Application Software: MS Works Suite 99
    Application Software: Internet Explorer 5.0
    Memory: 128MB 100MHz SDRAM (expandable to 768MB)
    Chipset: Intel 440BX chipset
    Expansion Slots: 4 PCI, 1 shared PCI/ISA slot + 1 AGP slot
    Processor: Intel 500MHz Pentium III Processor
    Case: 200 Watt ATX Tower Case
    Service Program: Three years Limited Warranty, one year onsite
    Floppy Drive: 1.44MB 3.5" Panasonic Diskette Drive (Upgradeable to SuperDisk LS120)
    Additionnal Software: McAfee Antivirus
    Cache: 512K L2 Cache

So.. what do ya think ?
    Should i just get the bit;s 'n peices and make my own PC, will it be cheaper? Should i go for a slot 1 motherbrd with a soecket 370 adaptor and get a celeron, that way being able to upgrade?
    Just any ideas in general would be appreciated.. Thanks V. much !
    Gav

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

Nice specs, the price ain't bad from what I've seen... but shop around for a better deal, and make sure you don't get a win-modem.
    Oh and get a TnT2, something like a Xentor32 is always nice... Unless you want to use 3Dfx-Glide.
    Good hunting.

-SMACK MY B1TCH UP-
    www.gibworld.com/mobius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Helv

WTF are you doing. Whatever you do dont get a 15inch monitor!!! Get a 17 at least. The price of monitors has dropped off in the past year because of manufacturers flooding the market (like RAM). You might even consider getting a 19inch. Its about £150 more but its worth it!

Oh and get a Dell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Dell pc's are getting worse...Or maybe thats just the optiplex range

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 17-09-99).]

Yeah it is the Optiplex. They have released a slim-down version of the old Optiplex with no expansion. Fine for businesses, but why would you buy one for home use?

[This message has been edited by Helv (edited 17-09-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yep,

My Dull Dimension is a nice system. Easy to upgrade and decent enough performance. I have changed a few bits in it. A Voodoo3 and a Creative DVD Rom Drive. I agree with Helv thou DO NOT GET A 15" Monitor, go for a 17" or 19".

Gandalf.

www.gibworld.com/gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Size matters, those two inches can make a lot of difference

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

vavavooom tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Maybe if he caresses and talks dirty to his monitor he'll get those 2 extra inches. wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Chow Yun Fat

funnily enough i know someone who may be selling a 17" monitor in the next week or 2

• Advertisement
Advertisement