Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Drive wont read dvd+r discs

• 04-11-2003 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭

I have a dvd drive: CyberDrive DM086D. Now, a friend of mine burned some files to a dvd for me as i needed to free up some hard drive space and the like. He checked it out in his other pc's dvd drive, and his mac to make sure the dvd was readable, and it was. Since i got home however my dvd drive, the one mentioned above, fails to read the DVD+R disc. Now, I had a look on the web and it looks like to me that it's possible to get the drive to read the disc with a firmware upgrade, and i found the .bin file for the upgrade. However, when i try to patch the drive with it i get 'Error: FFFF' in the command window. What am i doing wrong? And is there some other way to get the drive to read the DVD+R disc? It wouldnt have anything to do with the fact that the disc itself is purple would it? Your help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Come on can't anyone help me out here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I would imagine you will get the solution you need from this site/forum. Post there and see how you get on.

hth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

well its got nothing to do with the color of the disk for a start, u havent mentioned what operating systems u/ ur friend are using.

btw, id wait a little longer than 1/2 hour before whining that no one has replied to ur problem.

lol sorry mate was just anxious for some help. both me and my mate are running windows xp. i dunno i thought it might have something to do with the disc as sometimes the ps2 (although im not a fan) has trouble reading blue disc dvds as opposed to clear dvds sometimes, or so i've heard. just thought it coulda been similiar, anyways thanx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

dont worry bout it, no i was thinkin it might have been to do with the file system, but if both running xp that shouldnt be an issue.

i tried a bit of searching with the model number for compatiblility issues, but nothing came up. u might try a look on the manufacturers website, they may give details of what disk standards it works with.

• Advertisement

Nah there's feck all info on the manufacturer site. And anyways, it wouldnt matter if he was running FAT32 and me NTFS, they'd still be the same files. Files on FAT32 are the same as files on NTFS, its just the two filling systems are used to organise the files in different ways and more efficiantly is all. It wouldnt affect a burned cd let alone dvd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

What software did he use to burn the DVD?

What method of burning did he use? Did he use UDF / packet-writing?

He used a freeware program we got off the net because we had trouble burning it with the software given with the drive. He didn't burn it with UDF packet writing software anyways as it's not a +RW disc, just a bog standard +R disc. we just burned it as a Data DVD and waited 30 mins for it to burn, that was it. As i said it was read by his dvd player (not the burner) and his mac, so we must have done something right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

Fair enough. You can use packet writing on R aswell as RW (only god knows why). I'd install UDF drivers on your own machine if I was you, just in case :) It might not help, but it rules out one more possibility.

I'm not sure off-hand where to find em though, and mayhap XP already has them.

Hrm, i'll whip out the nero cd and try it, worth a go anyways...

• Advertisement
Advertisement