Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new pc for gaming, any help?

Options
  • 04-11-2003 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭

ok im looking to buy a p4 2.66ghz pc with decent specs without a monitor,keyboard+mouse.
    does any1 have any good sites where i can get one to deliver it to my door or know of any retailers that do it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

www.alienware.com

if you have money to burn, or singe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Build your own if you can. Better parts and it works out cheeper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

There is some great specs on the HW Tweaking/Modding Forum... Seems like the best bet is to get a 2.6C P4, decent board, decent RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

I've said it before and i'll say it again www.komplett.ie

You can buy the basic machiene from Dell for very little, but you will have to replace most of the components, for example: the motherboard may not and probobly wont have AGP support, and may only have 2ram slots.

A friend recently specked out a pc from komplett above, was at his door within 3 weeks and built it himself. With the right advise (ie from manufacturors of the various parts, or from techie friends) anyone can do this!

They have hardware bundle's ie: motherboard, cpu, ram cables and fan, and then you just add in what you want, ie graphics & sound cards (Radeon 9800 pro and Audigy card i would recommend for gaming). You can get all the other accessories you need like keyboard mouse monitor, and everything thats there is pretty much as cheap as your likely to get!

oh and read the instructions.... very important, even if you think you know what your doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by Comic store Guy
    I've said it before and i'll say it again www.komplett.ie

You can buy the basic machiene from Dell for very little, but you will have to replace most of the components, for example: the motherboard may not and probobly wont have AGP support, and may only have 2ram slots.

A friend recently specked out a pc from komplett above, was at his door within 3 weeks and built it himself. With the right advise (ie from manufacturors of the various parts, or from techie friends) anyone can do this!

They have hardware bundle's ie: motherboard, cpu, ram cables and fan, and then you just add in what you want, ie graphics & sound cards (Radeon 9800 pro and Audigy card i would recommend for gaming). You can get all the other accessories you need like keyboard mouse monitor, and everything thats there is pretty much as cheap as your likely to get!

oh and read the instructions.... very important, even if you think you know what your doing!

I agree. No better games machine than the one you put together yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pug {erZ}

I built my own with most stuff from

maplin Elec. - MoBo/Tower/amd/ special offers - need collect
    www.komplett.ie - Drives
    www.crucial.com - Good price GC 9700 pro - 3 yrs warrenty & Mem
    www.thepcmanuk.com/Shop/Products.asp?PC=419 - XP pro

If to do again I would go to alienware.
    ( saved €300+ but not worth the problems I had with MoBo
    got 2 faulty ones and had hard time proving it - took 2 months
    to get everything up right - don't do it unless you got time
    and another PC to tie you over )

weird USA is cheaper for stuff then UK version companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pug {erZ}

Not a techi .. but what I know after my problems building a PC

MoBo - I went through 2 to get one working one - so I would
    say get a good one ( Asus ) and pay as much as you can for it
    I got low end one for €125 go to www.tomshardware.com
    and look up reports on them as well as on evelse you might need.
    It might be hard to find the exact one in your local but you'll
    learn what to look for. Get the fastest speed mobo u can with
    8x spees AGP min IMO. Case makes little difference just make sure Power supply is higher end like 500w as some GC require it
    to run - also make sure plenty vents to cool down this also means more noise - sorry to say - but if
    you use high graphics get better than regular chip tower to
    keep it cool. Also why going for Intel you save by getting AMD
    and better chip for most games as well ...
    HDD get 120gb standard size now Matox are basic - you can get
    faster if you want but I was not interested in the small speed gain
    faster have 8mb cache = expensive.
    mobo will decide ram speed just remember 512 is basic now
    Graphics card ... I like the ati and tk god I didnt get nvidia cos
    of Halo problems with nvidia .. I would say a min of 9700 pro
    but 9800pro if you can afford it or whatever the fastest is now!
    I didnt get a soundcard - just ran it of the mobo oncard sound so its basic but fine by me as I use wirefree headphones anyway
    Thats my little info hope its of some use with above links to get parts - oh and if possible buy parts with a Credit Card that has
    purchases protection and buy then with the value under 600 euro
    so as to be protected incase of damaged goods arriving like mine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

If you're getting a decent sound card and want the machine for games you have to get good speakers. If not 5.1 then at least ensure you get a subwoofer. Sound and vision are the only two ways a game can absorb you and with a 5.1 setup they can get very atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

A nice cheap, but respectable, Machine.

AMD based.

Abit NF7-S V 2.0 - €110

AMD Athlon 2800+ Barton core - €155

Twinmos Dual channel RAM, PC3200
    2x 256 sticks - €56 each

120 gig Seagate SATA drive 7200 8mb cache - €120

LG CD-R 52 28 52 - €50

Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT - €230

Case with PSU - €130

900 euro.

Comes with 6.1 sound inbuilt, LAN and Firewire.

• Advertisement
Advertisement