Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yahoo mail blocked

Options
  • 04-11-2003 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭

howdy people,my college server has unconviently blocked all acess to yahoo email and web basefd email in general,would appreciate it if anyone could suggest a way to bypass this as it is rather annoying.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

They block them for a reason, cos of attachments that could have viruses.

I know a lot of work places don't allow people to access web email sites. But I have never heard of any way around it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

yes i understand the raesons for blocking it....but i still want to get by it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

Connect up at home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

There are a no. of ways of blocking it.

And if you dont know what action theyve taken ..

Probably the proxy server you are using has had access to these sites blocked. Thats how we do it in my job. (Tools>internet options>Connections>Lan Settings in IE).

If you can get the proxy server settings on a unrestricted account, you might be able to use those?
    Really though, your best bet is to get friendly with someone in the IT dept, and see what nod nod wink wink they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't know if you can collect yahoo mail by a regular POP3 connection, but if you can, you could use www.o2.ie to get it for you. (new feature o2 added to their webmail recently).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Weird

Hotmail and Yahoo scan email in your inbox for viruses before it lets you download attachments.

Oh Pooh, Voodoofone, Oceanfree , Eircom , IOL do not, just to mention the most common Irish ones.

Block ALL web pages I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Most organisations look at blocking Web based email sites for many reasons. One being they don't want people dossing!
    Unless you get friendly with an IT boyo as Xterminator said your screwed!
    Even so it depends what they're blockin you with.
    SurfControl is very good for doing this! You can really restrict what/where a machine can go/do!

You should question the IT dept about this! If they have proper AV in place they really don't have cause to block these sites!
    They could setup a policy of disallowing access between 9-1 and 2-5 and allowing access all other times! I'm afraid the "Virus Excuse" just wouldn't cut it with me!

You should Question it IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Stephen
    I don't know if you can collect yahoo mail by a regular POP3 connection
    not with yahoo.com addresses. They charge for this now. .co.uk and .ie still work for free. I use YahooPOPs (you'll find it on sourceforge.net - free download) to collect my @yahoo.com mail. This would probably also be blocked though - yahoopops still uses http.

Advertisement