Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Board is becoming BORING

Options
  • 04-11-2003 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

...no fun anymore,

...too many threads being shunted out for not good reasons overall ,

...not ENOUGH arguing and opinion and bitching.

I strongly suspect that the viewing stats are down in the past 2 months. Something must be done. Maybe my point was that something must NOT be done :confused:

M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

The splitting of the IOFFL Forum in to 2 (two) seperate divisions, imho, certainly did not help ?..

P.:ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Hrm...

I suggest you make up a second user and start controversial threads about DSL and how donkeys can affect the download speed on a wet day while traversing across your local CO's roof.

As for a real response, I think the complains spectrum is narrowing, and always pointing at the same focal point, Eircom and DSL testing, etc etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Erm...correct me if i'm wrong but isnt this all about the little people getting together to try and get some decent, cost-effective internet access for all of us - helping to keep us somewhere in line with the rest of the developed World (& Peru).

...and not a form of entertainment (apart from seeing the rare setback for €ircon which naturally IS entertainment of the highest quality:D ).

So, its not going to be an all singing, all dancing forum all of the time or even most of the time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What do you suggest Muck?

The Broadband forum is suited to many more of the 'DSL Query' type threads.

Perhaps you'd like the mods to be more accountable for thread moving? Perhaps you'd like to see remerging of the forums.

Suggestions.....please.....for God's sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Less modding TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by Muck
    Less modding TBH.
    In fairness, a lot of the stuff that gets moved from here is more suited to Net/Comms or Broadband.

The ones that end up in Net/Comms (for example) are better off there, it's a quiet enough board and the people are likely to get their questions answered there.
    Rather than the thread getting lost here because it's a busier place and the thread itself is off topic.

Take a look on the board(s) here that aren't modded as much as they should be (of course, IMO) and see what way this board could end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

personally, i think it is because a lot of the people have wound up buying one of the solutions and have decided enough is enough.

they are happy with their spped, download and can live with it..so whats to argue..thier decision has been made...

for those of us who have not...the fight continues...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Ba$tard
    I suggest you make up a second user and start controversial threads about DSL and how donkeys can affect the download speed on a wet day while traversing across your local CO's roof.
    Eircom: !!OMFG 0ur s3kr1t's out!!

This years excuse is that the warm weather has lead to

1. Aphid and Fly infestations in junction boxes
    2. Followed by spiders, initially scrawny and hungry but after feasting on the aphids and flies then becoming BIG BIG spiders
    3. Which in turn get stuck in the junction boxes and cause shorting etc etc because they are too fat to escape.
    4. Which explains the variability in the Eircom pass/failure database over time.

This is what Eircom told Comreg a week or two back to explain the way that people can pass fail pass fail etc ........on the one line over the course of a few months. No blame attached to technicians , old equipment and bodge jobs , God No!

Comreg accepted their argument and are now preparing to do what even Eircom do not dare to try, fob this waffle off on the General Public . Any day now .....and final confirmation of the scrumptious 0k that Comreg has set as the target for "Functional Internet Access" for the next 4 years.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Flabbergasted wouldn't be the word for it...

I think I'd be more likely to believe the one about the donkeys meself.

Mind you I blame the Leprauchans. You know how they always get stuck hiding their pots of gold...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Originally posted by Muck
    This years excuse is that the warm weather has lead to

1. Aphid and Fly infestations in junction boxes
    2. Followed by spiders, initially scrawny and hungry but after feasting on the aphids and flies then becoming BIG BIG spiders
    3. Which in turn get stuck in the junction boxes and cause shorting etc etc because they are too fat to escape.
    4. Which explains the variability in the Eircom pass/failure database over time.

This is what Eircom told Comreg a week or two back to explain the way that people can pass fail pass fail etc ........on the one line over the course of a few months. No blame attached to technicians , old equipment and bodge jobs , God No!

Comreg accepted their argument and are now preparing to do what even Eircom do not dare to try, fob this waffle off on the General Public . Any day now .....and final confirmation of the scrumptious 0k that Comreg has set as the target for "Functional Internet Access" for the next 4 years.

M

right so tis spiders that are causing my line to fail, right wheres me twelve gauge

ITS WAR !!!!!!!!!!!

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

There are loads of (real!) Rats around too...

Seemingly 8:1 they out-number us in Ireland these days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Well its all well and good.....but I know the real reason for this...

It all started about 18 years ago...

The famous year of the 1985 Eircom Christmas Hamper Heist

An over jealous eircom technican who was a pioneer for the last 7 weeks decided to steal all the hampers from Eircoms head office.
    But,m hold on, with over 8 thousand hampers, where would he hide them????

/que *light bulb in small head* :eek:

'Be Jasus, I have this funny key, whats this for...ahh to open those boxes in the walls and grounds. I know I'll hide the hampers in there.'

...And so the story goes he did. He couldnt put them in the hubs in the cities because people would see, so he kept to suburban and rural areas and did his dirty deeds there.
    12 thousand hampers in total...

After this he went home, had a glass of extra rich electrolyte and passed away.

Its is only now, that people are complaining about their poor quality DSL lines is that Eircom techies need to open the boxes to find their hub glowing at a steady 176.3 DegCelcius from the decomposition of the hampers.

This is absolutely and totally rollocks, I mean true.
    Shure, why else would all our frikkin' lines be failing?

As for the donkeys, white lie.

Ahhh but the story told to Comreg was designed to make their skins crawl.

Can you see Etain on a Spider Audit, gosh no!

Hampers <mmmmmffffffffffffffffffffffffffff>

M

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭KILLER.BEE

iam with Fallschirmjager on this one "".buying one of the solutions and have decided enough is enough"" so its like allways the ppl of ireland take the sh*T and like it so just lay down and die they all give in to the rats ways ............R.I.P BB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

buying one of the solutions and have decided enough is enough

Well, its not enough. Cos, yer still behind..

Your still paying more.
    Your probably on a capped service.
    Your more than likely getting a slower contract deal than others abroad.
    Governments/Telecoms providers in other european countries are making firm plans for levels of broadband provision like the swedish already have.......so if your getting comfy with your overpriced, mediocre broadband service, then think on....cos, if we dont all keep up the momentum.......

A. The rest of us will remain on dialup
    B. You folks will be screaming when you havent got the latest standard broadband 3 years after the rest of the developed world rolls it out.

Advertisement