Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooping Landlady

Options
  • 04-11-2003 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I moved into a flat with my mate about 2 months ago. The landlady arranged with us that if we weren't around on rent day to leave the money in the microwave or a press and she would come in and get it. Rent day is thursday and me and my flat mate both work every thursday. We were suspicious of her coming into our flat when we weren't there so last thursday I set up my digital camera to record when we weren't there. The camera is in the bedroom so we couldn't see what she was doing in the living room. But the door of the bedroom opened, the light came on and she stood there for a few seconds. We could also see someone in the background in the living room but it is too dark to see what they were doing. She turned off the light in the bedroom but then I can see shadows moving in the background and when I came home and turned on the light again, it is clear that some of the stuff on my friends bed has moved around.
    We are obviously freaked out by this. What should we do about it? We haven't signed a lease and we don't even get reciepts off her. What are our rights in a situation like this? What should we say to her?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

You obviously have some rights, but seeing as you didnt sign a
    lease, exactly what they are could be a little unclear.

I know with a lease and all relevant paperwork in place, the
    landlord must give something like 24 hours notice before they can
    enter the premises with your knowledge.

What I would suggest is that you make alternative arrangements
    firstly with your landlady that will give her no excuse to enter the
    flat without your permission...

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

You want to catch her in the act?
    Leave blood stained sheets on your bed next Thursday and several heavy black bags in the kitchen, bloody kinfe in the sink. If she confronts you, well tell her it was a pratical joke, she doesn't, shes evil and your ok(and you know you can get away with murder), or shes called the cops, in which case- I claim no responsablity for your actions. hehe

Seriously, if you have not signed a lease or have recepts. Does she have a rent book? Confront her about it. Ask her does anyone else havbe keys to the apartment as stuff was moved etc. Be dipomatic.

Don't just say "Why the f**k you snooping, bi*ch?" You may have to move if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Sort out the lease or at least get some sort of agreement about her entering the house when you're not there - i.e. don't.
    I was in the same situation over the summer in Galway. Rent day was every 2nd Wednesday and we had to leave the money out for the landlady. BTW she was a real crack-pot elderly lady. At first I didn't mind but then I started noticing that she moves stuff around when she comes in. She used the bathroom, made herself a nice cuppa tea and generally had the walk of the house.
    We (the housemates) confronted her and she didn't see why she had to listen to any of what we said. She kicked one guy out that DAY!! because she found he had a sword (one of those replica Lord Of The Rings swords) in his room. After that everyone asked for a lease, she didn't give it and three people left the following week. I left about 3 weeks after that and never looked back.
    So, as I said get it sorted before it's too late. Something could happen and without it, you'd be up **** creek without a paddle.

Advertisement