Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I get Freeview in Wexford

• 04-11-2003 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

I have an aerial and perfect reception from Wales

Comments

If you are on presely-yes :)

perfect reception means little or no grain in your analog and for example perfect teletext.
    And perfect channel five ie clear as a mirror on that one.

I get freeview fairly well from presely in North Wexford.
    But it does depend on location,you could go a mile or two down the road and have only fair or bad reception and another mile or two again and back into good.
    A little height helps.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Thanks. Yes perfect Channel FIVE too. No grain.

I am in Kilmuckridge. Does that mean I am on Presley ?

How can I tell ?

More than likely presely there.
    Presely is the only tx in wales with five afaik
    Your aerial will be horizontally polarised in other words looking like any of the illustrations here

If it's a grid aerial, like the square one in the link, you would be better off getting a new group B aerial, which would look like the others there and do a much better job as the grid is wide band designed to bring in all channels whilst the presely channels are group B and there is an aerial designed specifically to max the signal from a b group of channels.

mm

Thanks man. you have been very helpful.
    I have the correct aerial.

If I go to Argos in Newry, do you know which of these boxes is any good or which one to be avoided ?

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosBrowseCounts?storeId=10001&C$cip=8354&Trail=C%24cip%3D8280%3EC%24cip%3D8353%3EC%24cip%3D8354&categoryId=8354&langId=-1&catalogId=1001

I would be inclined towards the phillips or the panasonic on that list.

Some boxes are said to perform better in weaker signal areas and you are in one of them... as you are roughly 120 miles from presely :D

have a look here for some box reviews.
    If you are going up to newry , you should pop into currys while you are there and see what boxes they have.

I am using an old "on digital" box and had a subscription to ondigital/ITV digital here in North Wexford... ( yeap thats how desperate they were for subscribers, they accepted me, even though I'm in ROI :D )

If you want, I'm only about ten miles from you, send me a private message by clicking on the pm icon at the bottom of this post and I might be able to bring my dtt box down to check if it works with you.

Then you'd know for sure before buying one.

mm

• Advertisement

I have replied to your pm,check your inbox

mm

Got it. many thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Hi

Sorry to butt in. I'm in Wexford town and we get excellent reception on the Welsh channels and Channel 5 most of the time. Occasionaly we do get bad reception. Would this mean that a Freeview box would work for us too?

I'm only wondering because I'm heading over to london just before Christmas and thinking about picking a box up when I'm over there.

Looks good.

I will confirm when mine is up and running.

Originally posted by kmurph
    Hi

Sorry to butt in. I'm in Wexford town and we get excellent reception on the Welsh channels and Channel 5 most of the time. Occasionaly we do get bad reception. Would this mean that a Freeview box would work for us too?

I'm only wondering because I'm heading over to london just before Christmas and thinking about picking a box up when I'm over there.

I would say yes, probably.
    No matter where you are in Co Wexford , if your Presely is good to very good, and especially if you can say you have no grain on five, then you will have freeview probably 7 days out of ten.

I will add a caution though, and say that what I describe as good and what you describe as good might be different.

For some good info, there was a thread here on the subject last August.
    Initially, the query was about freeview in Dublin, but it soon decended into a discussion on freeview in wexford :D

Bkehoe manages to get freeview with a very tall aerial set up despite being 15 miles inland and with some obstacles in the way ( it's enough to make someone in a valley in pembrokeshire jealous :D )
    This link should bring you to the first relevant post on that thread.

mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

Hmm, interesting stuff.

Thanks Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ivan archer

Could some one please help me. I have had my aerial upgraded by my local installer at the weekend. I bought it over the internet its an wideband Blake 'DMX' digi-master UHF aerial range with 52 element + 10 director bays in groups (A, K-B, WB-E-C/D). My installer replaced my old standard aerial with this aerial and pointed it at the Preseli transmitter. He used the analogue channel details to find the transmitter. I have an Labgear dt100 box and before the upgrade I was able to get all the freeview channel but the signal was weak at times now with the new aerial I am receiving my DTT signal from Wenvoe instead of Preseli and I am only picking up signals from MUX A and B. Which is no good as I want to watch the channels on 1,2 and C. My analogue channels are of ok quality.

Does any one have any advice to give me to pass on to my installer, like does the aerial need to be pointed differently and info needed to do this? I am I better off using old aerial instead?

Was my aerial installed incorrectly?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ivan i've replied to your p.m
    Check your inbox.

I very much doubt that you are getting DTT from Wenvoe, if you were it would be about as flooky as someone in wales picking up chorus mmds!

It would have to be from presely.

Your problem probably arises out of the fact that you are now using a wide band aerial,which would not do as good a job as a group B for presely.

Is your analog worse now than it was?
    What channel is HTV on? is it 43? as that is presely.

mm

It works perfectly.

Bought a box in Argos Newry.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement