Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone seen Bic Runga?

Options
  • 04-11-2003 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

I'm a fairly new convert, she writes great songs, really good live from all reports...

Bic Runga (Acoustic) At Whelans, December 5th '03

Having already gone six times platinum in her native New Zealand, the brilliant Bic Runga has taken up residence in Paris and sets her sights on Europe with a series of shows that include an Irish date at Whelans on Friday, December 5th.

Her second album, ‘Beautiful Collision’, spent more than 7 weeks in the pole position this summer, breaking the record for the most weeks spent at Number 1 for any New Zealand album, ever.

The record has been held up until now by Split Enz (their album 'Time And Tide' spent 6 weeks at #1 in 1982).

‘Beautiful Collision’ has so far spawned the hit singles ‘Get Some Sleep’ ‘Something Good‘, ‘Listening For the Weather’, and ‘The Be All & End All’.

In April of this year Bic also won 4 Tui Awards at this year's Music Awards in New Zealand including Best Producer, Best Female Artist and Best Solo Artist.

Born and raised in Christchurch, New Zealand, of Chinese and Maori descent, Bic, now 26 years old, Bic's home is now Auckland (close to her parents and two sisters) and wherever else in the world she needs to be.

Bic counts Neil Young, David Bowie, Ella Fitzgerald, the Mama's & the Papa's, Yoko Ono, and Billie Holiday among her musical favorites. "Most of the musicians who really blow me away are either dead or over 50," she confesses. "The first time music really spoke to me was when I first heard The Smiths when I was 12."

"With just her guitar for accompaniment, these songs glimmer and twist like spider-silk drifting through golden summer air. The giddy, see-saw melody of Election Night recalls the Cocteau Twins ... She tackles Wild Is the Wind, a song best known from Nina Simone's definitive take; she offers a supremely delicate, immaculately judged reading, unafraid to let verses ebb in and out of interludes of suspenseful silence. (the show) ends precipitously, vanishing suddenly, and you realise you've experienced something utterly magical" - The Guardian.

Tickets are €16 (inc. booking fee) and are on sale from Ticketmaster and usual outlets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

cool.

Did you just copy/paste her press release or what?

I got my hands on an EP of hers when I heard it was produced by Nial Macken who's just finished the new juno falls album. Bit of a producer nut me...

mmmmm... (analysing info)

Bic runga meets Neil Finn (crowded house)... She's then introduced to Nial Macken who's playing keys for Neil.... who records her and then she signs a deal with Sony...

Juno Falls meets Nick seymour (crowded house bassist).. then they're introduced to Nial Macken who records them and then they sign a deal with Sony...

This nial guy's a bit of a genie. And he's from Cork believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rusty Rhythm

I discovered too late that she was playing this Friday.
    I bought the last 2 tickets that Road Records had, Sound Cellar wouldn't hold theirs for me and were sold out when I arrived after work.

Only need one more ....give me a shout if you have any idea where to get one.

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Rusty Rhythm

!

Advertisement