Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking contract with IBB?

• 04-11-2003 5:10pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here broken their contract with IBB? If so, what can/did IBB do?

I'm planning on writing a letter to them saying that if the service does not dramatically improve in the next 2 weeks i'll be switching to Eircom DSL. The service has been fking atrocious since i got it, numerous break downs, ludicrously low speeds etc. Last 3 weeks ive been forced to continually use dialup because its much faster than IBB. Several phone calls to tech support and its still fked.

I believe the contract says there is a minimum period of a year before i can break out of it (thats another 4/5 months); but if i decide to withhold payment what can they do? If they aren't providing an acceptable level of service, am i within my rights to tell them to piss off?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Not too sure about contracts and rights.. but if you arne't happy with their service and they aren't providing a service that you're expecting, you should be able to cancel contract because you're not happy...
    Customers always right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by kif
    Has anyone here broken their contract with IBB? If so, what can/did IBB do?
    They guarantee a minimum speed of 64k (i.e. ISDN). If your connection speed has gone lower than that then they have provided you a substandard connection. Unless of course you are on the 30:1 contended product. I know of one person who was able to cancel after only a few weeks and also get the price of the install refunded, but I'd say you'd be lucky to see any cash back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

what product do you have?

Home Breeze plus guarentees a min of 64k.

Home Breeze guarentees a min of 25.6k

Ripwave guarentees a min of 17k

IF you are getting lower than this on your product consistantly, then yes, you can cancel. Otherwise they can wack you with 1 years bill if you cancel the product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

wow
    im a breezehome plus
    and im having the same problem
    crap download speeds
    crap for online gaming
    there are so many people having the same problem with any of the products IBB are providing
    we should all get together and approach them
    they cant ignore us then
    ive had mine 2weeks and im pissed off already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

This really concerns me as I'm about to get tested for Breeze home (not plus).

To those people who are annoyed at IBB, why did you sign up? I have to presume that at first the service was alright but has since gone downhill. If so then it's quite annoying as I'll have no way of knowing if it'll turn to crap for me.

Also, how do you prove that the service has been crap, they guarantee, say, 25K a sec with Breeze and maybe I get in the region of 15K but maybe once a day it jumps to 26K for about 10 mins.....do you think you could cancel based on that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

if you have reliable evidance (just remember the consumer is always right) that the service is more often than not below the guarenteed minimum. All you need to prove is that on average it is less than the guarenteed min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭IANOC

ive just tested my speed online staying between 100-200k
    this has been happenin to me for the last 5 days but in the beginning it was promising
    contention 8:1 shouldnt be affecting me unless all 7 are downloading 24/7 but if thats the case no one can get a good speed

Advertisement