Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Played Half Life 2 yet?

Options
  • 04-11-2003 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

I know that there is some untrusworthy people out there but just how many?

I know I wouldnt download the leaked code, primarily so that I could enjoy the game when it finally comes out.

What about the rest of you?

Have you played a version of HL2 yet 53 votes

Yes I have, in fact I broke into Valve myself and took the source.
    0% 0 votes
    Of course I did I cant wait till Christmas, O wait its april now isnt it
    20% 11 votes
    No I would never do that, I a good person a heart and Gordon is my best Friend.
    16% 9 votes
    I couldnt care less, I hated the first game and I bet the second one will suck too.
    62% 33 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nope. I'd like to but I gave up on PC gaming after Ultima IX, that and the fact that it's just too expensive, I can buy a new console often for less than it would cost for a new graphics card.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i ain't touched it yet and i wouldn't touch it with a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 ft. pole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

thats a long pole

yup it's a telescopic pole i keep in my pockets for this sort of post :D

gotta get me one of those!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭Burago

A part of me would love to play it but the honest gamer part of me is holding out until the official release.:D

also the release day isn't a solid april date. now i'm not saying that it's coming out this year but i'm saying i won't believe any date until VALVE themselves say it

Ah ha so the hacker does post on boards I knew the trap would work.

there are danish people among us then.

i remember reading somewhere that the hacker was danish can't remember where though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

i was in the process of downloading the leak but it was gonna take about 7 days so i just gave up. ill just stick with playing the doom 3 leak unless i decide to re-download it...

damn 56k modem....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pug {erZ}

No - true Gamer would touch a copy of this - its not like a early
    demo or something this is the actual code that it has to be thought will be used to either tamper with/ruin the main release when it comes out. Also not a hack job per say - or at least not
    in the true sense of hacked - imo was a inside job in some way..
    disgruntled employee or a trill-seeker employee after some fame .. keylogger were used and were in place for a long time .. also the timing of the hacks were timed mostly when peeps were not working there .. to well thought out .. could Doom III be worried and has the battle started already to see who takes over the next FPS .. Na

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Pug {erZ}
    Also not a hack job per say - or at least not
    in the true sense of hacked - imo was a inside job in some way..
    disgruntled employee or a trill-seeker employee after some fame ..

Where did you get this from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Me would prefer to wait..:ninja: ....Im looking forward to it alright tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

No - true Gamer would touch a copy of this -

bs, if ive ben waiting five years for it u bet ur ass im gonna try it out as soon as possible. Running around on the techdemo levels trying out the physics isnt gonna ruin the experience for me when i get the proper game.
    its not like a early demo or something this is the actual code that it has to be thought will be used to either tamper with/ruin the main release when it comes out.

um if its been leaked, its been leaked, theres nothing that can b done about it, hackers r gonna tamper with it no matter how many gamers try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If you want to see the physics, go play Max Payne 2. Its the same Havoc physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by sionnach
    bs, if ive ben waiting five years for it u bet ur ass im gonna try it out as soon as possible. Running around on the techdemo levels trying out the physics isnt gonna ruin the experience for me when i get the proper game.

what he said ^^

played HL2 a few weeks ago. the techdemo levels are by far the best part about it. the physics are amazing.

Originally posted by [-=RaVeN=-]
    If you want to see the physics, go play Max Payne 2. Its the same Havoc physics.

good idea actually :) forgot bout max payne2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

As much as i want to play it now, and bought a new graphics card for the occasion (H&D2 + Max Payne 2 just made it worth while) I still want to enjoy the experience of reading the booklet on the way home from town, installing the game as screenshots whet my apetite, and after enjoying and intro/intro sequence getting into some serious single player action. For me it beats a semi complete hack with no essence of what the final game may be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I've never wanted a game so bad after I heard about the delay I had to play HL1 all over again just to console myself. As for the hack they can keep it I'd rather wait longer for the real game than be a party to theft.

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

am i really the only person that found the one player half-life game boring? especially the Xen level... i hated them so much.

imo HL is what it is today because of the multiplayer and mods for it.

i'll be buying HL2 but mainly for the online/mod aspects to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Pug {erZ}

Maybe not the only one .. I got HL Gen and have only played
    CS nothing else .. not even .. oh no actually I did the training lvl
    in a cafe once now I remember :)

@monument
    was some info on their own forum posted by top brass with
    lots of peeps trying to give their support - keyloggers WERE reported etc... rest is .. lets say from 2600, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

All good things..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

haven't played it, won't dl it. would love to see source code though!

tbh i think most of the ppl saying "oh no true gamer would EVER play the leaked hl2 beta, IM a TRUE gamer blah blah blah" are ppl with 56k who caant get the beta neway and think they might as well take the high moral ground and say theyd never do such a thing and shame on every1 who does. If i walked up to these ppl with a dvd with the beta on it and offered it to them i think they'd readily accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by sionnach
    tbh i think most of the ppl saying "oh no true gamer would EVER play the leaked hl2 beta, IM a TRUE gamer blah blah blah" are ppl with 56k who caant get the beta neway and think they might as well take the high moral ground and say theyd never do such a thing and shame on every1 who does. If i walked up to these ppl with a dvd with the beta on it and offered it to them i think they'd readily accept it.

I have 1mbit broadband and I know where and how to get it and I suspect I'm not the only one but perhaps you're feeling guilty now;) I'm not taking the moral high ground but IMO it's just plain wrong besides it these people have the wherewithall to steal source code from a company then who knows what they have planted in it before releasing it to the masses who knows they may already pwn jou.:ninja:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Played a bit of the beta, looking damn fine.

Will be preordering, then upgrading the PC to play it.
    Will not install till after my end-of-year exams (March) though.
    Can't afford to get less than 70% in anything.

{edit}
    Prehaps looking isn't the best word to use. It doens't look great, but it is only beta.
    Physics engine seems bang up to expectations :)
    I moistened myself, but am unashamed.
    {/edit}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I dont see what the problem is really with playing the ripped code. The damage has been done and cant be undone by ignoring it. It might even have a positive effect as im sure many people (including me) were skeptical about how great this game is supposed to be, what kind of graphics etc. It could act as a boost to initial sales by whetting the appetite of those who have seen/played it. The version out there at the moment does not accurately represent what the finished game will be like.

Im not advocating that its a good thing to break into companies and steal WIP just so we can have an ogle at it, but at the moment its out there - why not take a look? Buy it and cherish it even more for knowing that you are doing the right thing.

Dont try to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

I haven't downloaded any of the source simply because I want to enjoy the single player game to the fullest when it's released. No moral grounds or lack of download ability involved, just patience.
    I'm well used to creating maps with the Hammer engine and the temptation to get started on a mod is very strong but I'll hold out.

People who like to read the last pages of a book first, or read about soaps before watching them will all have downloaded it (even on 56k :))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Boro
    I dont see what the problem is really with playing the ripped code. The damage has been done and cant be undone by ignoring it. It might even have a positive effect as im sure many people (including me) were skeptical about how great this game is supposed to be, what kind of graphics etc. It could act as a boost to initial sales by whetting the appetite of those who have seen/played it. The version out there at the moment does not accurately represent what the finished game will be like.

Im not advocating that its a good thing to break into companies and steal WIP just so we can have an ogle at it, but at the moment its out there - why not take a look? Buy it and cherish it even more for knowing that you are doing the right thing.

Dont try to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted.
    [blatent hypocrisy]
    But if people download it and play it, giving responses such as yours and mine, does that not encourage people to attmpt to procure game code in the future, be it for curiosity or glory even if it may be detrimental to the release of the finished prouct?
    [/blatent hypocrisy]
    There should have been a 1 or 2 map gameplay or techdemo (á la HL Uplink) released around September, or even a concrete promise of same after the "release date" was found to be unattainable. If you remember back a month or two ago a hell of a ot of people seemed to feel almost cheated out a good gaming experience they had waited so long for.
    One consequence of the leakage I forsee is some developer using elements or efects from the code in their own games without acknowledging Valve's work or claiming it as their own (but similar) and the legal, IP and copyright battles which would ensue.

Interesting times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

@monument
    was some info on their own forum posted by top brass with
    lots of peeps trying to give their support - keyloggers WERE reported etc... rest is .. lets say from 2600, etc..

Well any way, I haven’t seen any body, but you, saying it was an inside job, and I’ve read a lot on this - correct me if I'm wrong...

Advertisement