Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Played Half Life 2 yet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i voted couldnt care less

cos frankly i couldnt care less, undoubtedly Half life was a great game, but it wasnt definitive and there a lot of better games that have fallen to the wayside because they werent with the 'in' crowd.

Half life 2.............when its out, i may buy it. but tbh im more looking forward to the mods then the release of the game, and one good thing that may come of the leaked code is some modding teams will have a jump on the release.

Expect a counterstrike clone to be released on day 0. beating Valve to the punch with thier CS2 release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

Originally posted by Redshift
    I have 1mbit broadband and I know where and how to get it

link??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Just got the GAME catalogue in the post today.

HL2 release date: christmas 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I would say most of the 29 ppl that voted ''No I would never do that, I a good person at heart and Gordon is my best Friend. '' are on a 56k modem / or have a soul.more so the first one tho.

And if someone handed it to you....your telling me you wouldent take it :p

By playing it, it's not ruining the story or AI reactions because there isn't any present.

( i get 78fps with my gf fx 5900 ultra so that ati dominance thing is crapology )

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

well pruely as a graphics test can u give me the link i have a similar system to ure only i got 3000xp and a 9800pro it would be nice to compare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Originally posted by SyxPak
    [blatent hypocrisy]
    But if people download it and play it, giving responses such as yours and mine, does that not encourage people to attmpt to procure game code in the future, be it for curiosity or glory even if it may be detrimental to the release of the finished prouct?
    [/blatent hypocrisy]

I am not defending in any way the theft of the code from valve (and it WAS theft). However, many people have put forward the theory that it was an inside job. i dont know whether it was or whether it was a group of malicious hackers who were so desperate to see HL2 that they cracked through all of valves security. The thing is, how many people are seriously going to want to break into a company and steal a game thats in development after they play the HL2 beta?

Remember the Doom3 alpha? Wasnt that another 'leaked' game? Was there all this recrimination going on around then? Did that cause the HL2 theft?

IMO there are always going to be people who will try such stunts. It just happens that this time they were successful.

There should have been a 1 or 2 map gameplay or techdemo (á la HL Uplink) released around September, or even a concrete promise of same after the "release date" was found to be unattainable. If you remember back a month or two ago a hell of a ot of people seemed to feel almost cheated out a good gaming experience they had waited so long for.
    One consequence of the leakage I forsee is some developer using elements or efects from the code in their own games without acknowledging Valve's work or claiming it as their own (but similar) and the legal, IP and copyright battles which would ensue.

Interesting times.

I agree. Valve were close to having a working demo I reckon. Releasing all the videos of what was going on, just wasnt cutting the mustard and they should have released *something* solid. It depends how close you think that the stolen code is to the final release. I personally dont think that the game was going to be released then anyway. There seems like a lot of work to be done on it. Obviously now, they have to patch all their code to prevent 3rd party apps taking advantage of their servers, etc.

Remember MPEG 4 codec though - thats where DivX ;) came from. Something amazing and cool may come of this that is of benefit to the internet. Then again - it may not. As you said, its possible that other companies will attempt to reverse engineer it and integrate it into their own games.

Also as you said, interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Boro
    i dont know whether it was or whether it was a group of malicious hackers who were so desperate to see HL2 that they cracked through all of valves security. The thing is, how many people are seriously going to want to break into a company and steal a game thats in development after they play the HL2 beta?

Remember the Doom3 alpha? Wasnt that another 'leaked' game? Was there all this recrimination going on around then? Did that cause the HL2 theft?
    I'm pretty confident in my opinion that the D3 leak was a publicity stunt, and that the HL2 "leak" is more of a smokescreen/excuse to get the publisher's off the backs of Valve's developers long enough for them to finish the game properly instead of rushing out unfinished pap in time for the "Kristma$$ Kash-in".
    The fact that it has heightened the profile of the game even further is simply a handy by-product.
    Course, this is just a conspiracy theory I've been knocking around and may not resemble the truth at all. All part of the fun of speculation.
    Remember MPEG 4 codec though - thats where DivX ;) came from. Something amazing and cool may come of this that is of benefit to the internet.
    Xvid :)
    Also as you said, interesting times.
    indeed :)

Advertisement