Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of forum title

Options
  • 04-11-2003 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Talking to a few Finns on boards.ie and also not fogetting the Icelandic language I have thought of changing the "Skandinaviska (Danish / Norwegian / Swedish)" forum name to "Nordiska språk / Pohjoismaiset kielet (Nordic languages)" to better reflect the 5 different Nordic languages rather than just the 3 Scandinavian ones.

As we are relatively small languages compared to German, Spanish, French which have their own forums, a forum for us all would be perhaps a better idea and judging by feedback from the Finns I have talked to already they seem to agree.

The new title "Nordiska språk / Pohjoismaiset kielet (Nordic languages)" is basically the Swedish and Finnish for "Nordic languages" as Swedish in written is similar and understood by the Danes and Norwegians and not too far off Icelandic - though Icelandic is a much older language then the others, so it could be quite differently written. Finnish on the otherhand is entirely different and so it's own translation is deserved.

Let me know if this change is possible by the Admins.

Thanks!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I posted about this on the thread where/when it was originally raised and got no response :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Originally posted by ecksor
    I posted about this on the thread where/when it was originally raised and got no response :confused:

thanks for the reply ecksor!

when was this? do you remember which thread it was?

I am just really looking for an Admin to make the changes to the title to reflect the change in subject for this particular forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by naitkris
    when was this? do you remember which thread it was?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=1186824#post1186824

awfully sorry for missing you post there!
    Originally posted by ecksor
    I actually read this forum (might get around to learning swedish properly one of these days ...)

I don't quite follow though, change the name or the description or ... ?

basically it is a change in name in order for the Finnish and Icelandic languages to be included in the same forum on top of Swedish, Danish & Norwegian. I guess the description would be changed also to reflect this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

How about just a shorter English name, like Nordic? (Like the Chinese forum, it would be difficult to write the actual name.)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Cloud
    How about just a shorter English name, like Nordic? (Like the Chinese forum, it would be difficult to write the actual name.)

ok, how about: "DA / FI / IS / NO / SV (Nordic languages)" ?

it is much shorter yet conveys the proper ISO 639 code representation for languages of all 5 Nordic languages that exist.

it is also a little bit shorter than the current title of the forum.

It is still a bit too long. If we go with Nordic, I can add the short ULR www.boards.ie/nordic - what do you think? (Got the PM, thanks.)

sure "Nordic" is fine in such case. I will just add a "Forum Information & Rules" or some similar post with the finer details about the forum instead.

I've added the languages list to the description, and made the URL active. Sorry for delay, flu.

www.boards.ie/nordic

Originally posted by Cloud
    I've added the languages list to the description, and made the URL active. Sorry for delay, flu.

www.boards.ie/nordic

many thanks Cloud!

• Advertisement
Advertisement