Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Licence - Renew/Keep when abroad ?

Options
  • 04-11-2003 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

Is it possible for an Irish citizen to renew their driving licence (and keep it renewed indefinetly) when they are living abroad ?

For example, America or New Zealand haven't got a driving licence exchange aggreement with Ireland so if you decide to stay you have to sit a driving test there.

So is it possible to keep an Irish licence and have a local licence also ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't know. How about getting an international driver's licence?

The test is very simple in the states - certainly in California. It's a basic "can you drive around the block without crashing" type test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Silvera
    Is it possible for an Irish citizen to renew their driving licence (and keep it renewed indefinetly) when they are living abroad ?

For example, America or New Zealand haven't got a driving licence exchange aggreement with Ireland so if you decide to stay you have to sit a driving test there.

So is it possible to keep an Irish licence and have a local licence also ?

Use your Irish address. Send your licence to your address before expiry and they foreward to county council. When done your folks send it back.

New Zealand does have an exchange agreement with Ireland and all EU countries. Australia does not.

I passed my test in Nevada first go. Applied for learners permit and took test the same day. It was really easy. As Victor said its a just drive around the block and you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Applied for learners permit and took test the same day

Watch and Learn Seamus Brennan

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

The learners permit is the same as provisional licence, isn't it? Not much of a wait for it at the moment. But could be better.

The wait for the _test_ ; now that's a different matter :rolleyes:

I know there's moves afoot to introduce a compulsory basic training (CBT) next year for motorbikes/scooters. The changes include introducing a driving permit for learner drivers which won't be issued until CBT is completed.

According to a recent article in the Irish Times there'll be a CBT for all in future.

Would be nice to ensure that learners couldn't buy cars too until they've passed the test. But that's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by a_ominous
    Would be nice to ensure that learners couldn't buy cars too until they've passed the test. But that's unlikely.
    All you have to do is make sure sellers see a full licence first .... otherwise the seller would be commmitting an offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Bond James Bond,

From my researches I understand that Australia HAVE a drivers licence exchange agreement with Ireland but New Zealand DO NOT have such an agreement.

Originally posted by Silvera
    Bond James Bond,

From my researches I understand that Australia HAVE a drivers licence exchange agreement with Ireland but New Zealand DO NOT have such an agreement.

I have the New Zealand highway code in front of me. I stand by my posting.

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/56.html

Who doesn’t have to sit the driving test?
    If your licence comes from Australia, Canada, Norway, a member state of the European Union, South Africa, Switzerland or the United States of America and is current (or expired within the past 12 months), and you’ve held that licence for more than two years, you don’t have to sit the practical test.

(You still need to pass the theory test. If you don’t pass the theory test, you cannot drive.)

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Australia_drivers_licence.htm

Overseas residents
    What do you need to do?
    If you have an overseas Driver's Licence and have moved to South Australia, you must change your overseas Driver's Licence to a South Australian Driver's Licence within three (3) months of becoming a resident.

You will have to pass a written test on the road rules. The test can be done at any Transport SA, Customer Service Centre between 9:00am and 4:15pm or at any country Police Station.

When you have passed the written test you will be given a Temporary Driving Permit for one (1) month. Within that month you will need to do a driving test with an Authorised Testing Officer.

When you pass the driving test you will be given a "Certificate of Competency" by the Testing Officer. This certificate can be taken to any Transport SA, Customer Service Centre, for the issue of a South Australian Driver's Licence.

After you have paid the fee and a photo has been taken, a temporary Driver's Licence will be issued to you. Your photo licence will be posted to you within one (1) week.

If you do not pass the test within that month you must go to a Transport SA, Customer Service Centre with your temporary permit, where you must then apply for a Learner's Permit.

Some licence classes, for example a Heavy Bus class, may not automatically be changed over when you obtain your South Australian Driver's Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

Hi Silvera,

You can have a Full Irish licence and a Full licence from a country that Ireland's does NOT have an exchange agreement with.

You can continue to renew it indefinately by using an Irish address through which you are contactable (like your parents/ siblings/ children/ etc.) - however, the Motor Tax Office will only send your licence there. They WON'T post it abroad - you'll have to get someone to do that for you.

However, if there is an agreement - like with any EU country, Australia (**NOT** New Zealand!), Japan, etc. - then you CANNOT have a Full licence from both countries. It's either one or the other (Dunno how they keep tabs on that, though).

You can't, for example have a Full Irish and a Full English licece. However, you CAN have a Full Irish and a Provisional English (or vice versa) because Provisionals are only valid in the country they're issued in.

Also, foreigners can drive in this country for up to 1 year without changing their licence (if they can get insured, I suppose). I think the Garda don't look favourably on it though. I assume its similar in other countries too.

Hope this helps,
    Tommy.

• Advertisement

In New Zealand you can swap your irish licence for a NZ after sitting a theory test but you cant reconvert it back to an Irish one later.

Opposite in Australia. Need to do full test but licence is exchangable afterwards.

They keep tabs by forcing you to surrender your irish licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Thanks for the info guys.

That's cleared it up for me - I think ;)

Advertisement