Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lcvp

Options
  • 04-11-2003 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any links to LCVP sites? We are going to Aughinish Alumina and only a certain number can go. I need to come up with three massive aims on why to go there and 5 questions i can ask with each aim. I'm kinda stuck for ideas so HELP!? or i wont be going.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ok im gonna sound really stupid here... whats an LCVP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

Find out about the Leaving Cert Vocational Programme here :D

Is it something like the british "Duke of edinburgh Award"?

No nothing like it. LCVP is a school subject. When you get your results in the Leaving Cert you can replace your lowest subject with the mark you got in LCVP to higher your points.

What subject is it? a general sciences thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

its to do with business really...

Yeah, its trying to prepare us for the business world. Like we practise writing CVs, we visit work places, write resumes, write letters to businesses asking us to employ us and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

Damn LCVP, I was tricked into doing it!

"Oh its great, you have to do very little serious work, and can get excellent points from it" - Principal

Yeah, Ive had to do about 6 summary reports (500 words), and 3 long reports (1500 words), crap work experience (DURING HALLOWEEN BREAK), Crappy Career Investigation, that I made up. (You only need 1 in the end)

"If you dont do french or german, it does not matter, you can do 1 or 2 classes during school time, that will be enough!" - Principal

Yeah right, We started it in september, after school. We tried to boycott it, and only 2 people actually went for 4 weeks. Now we all have to do it for 8 weeks, which is DURING Lunch on monday, AFTER skool on monday, and DURING lunch on wednesday.

And the LCVP teacher is the biggest pain in the ****.

Lots of people tried to leave it, but were threathened with expulsion.

In conclusion, DONT DO LCVP.

I admit its a bit of work. But its not that bad!?. If you dont want to work for it theres no need. If you do little work you will get a bad result, so you wont be able to use LCVP instead of another subjec that you done bad in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Well i got an extra 5 points in my leaving for doing LCVP :). say what you will about it but i know a couple of people that missed the course they wanted by 5 points

• Advertisement

I agree. I'm going to do my best in LCVP. You'd never know if it might come in handy.

well i suppose its useful for myself as i only did 5/7 honours subjects (i suck at languages) so my point from lcvp where better then my points in ordinary irish or french but if you doing 6 honours subjects lcvp probably won't could unless you going to an i.t down the country (the points available for lcvp depend on the college you are going to which you are probably aware of)

saying that i think lcvp is useful. the amount of people that come out of school not knowing how to do up a c.v and stuff like that is unreal i think. also we learned to type in computer science in first year and i suppose some of us honed that skill a little with lcvp reports and typing skills will stand to you no matter what you do i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Maxthedog02

I think the LCVP distinction will be worth 70 points with Universities from next Feb on. Its not official yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

ya your right it will be worth equal points in Uni's too......but i think not in Trinity YET!! just a matter of time tho....

lol does that mean i can say i got 20 more points in the leaving cert?

hmm if it goes up in one NUI i would think it would have to go up in all i don't see why trinity should get an exception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

i dropped out of LCVP and use the time for study (yes, i do do work!). Its MUCH more productive. I finished the lcvp course completely 3/4 of the way through last year (our teacher is highly organised), but i was told if i stayed in the class i could not under any circumstances do work for another subject, so i dumped it.

Follow my lead, dump it! (unless you think you are doing too many pass subjects and might need it.)

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    (our teacher is highly organised),

Follow my lead, dump it! (unless you think you are doing too many pass subjects and might need it.)

That is the problem with our teacher. Hes subject is Woodwork and he is not prepared to teach LCVP at all.

Secondly, i dont know if i would drop out coz if you do bad in one subject you could have LCVP to fall back on (obviously if you done good in it). I know I could use it for study but i mean its only 40 minutes study. Id rather do the subject tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

well, maybe my school is different, but out of the 4 LCVP classes (90 students) about 30 have dropped out and use the 2 periods to study. Maybe its the 1/3 that are doing all honours, maybe its the tossers, but i know for a fact there are more waiting to drop out, but unless at least 20 drop out, they won;t run another study class.

(p.s. we really do study during this period, we get the biggest b***h of a teacher supervising, so we can;t even cough.)

Advertisement