Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

punk forum?

Options
  • 05-11-2003 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭

just a suggestion :D
    could joo put up a "Punk" section in the music section?
    i say it would be 2nd most popular after metal
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

its a passing fad.. as soon as avril and Sum 41 grow up a little it will be gone. maybe retro or rock for the true punk fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Alany
    its a passing fad.. as soon as avril and Sum 41 grow up a little it will be gone. maybe retro or rock for the true punk fans

Over 30 years is quite a fad.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I WANNA DESTROOY, PONCIFY CAUSE I WANNA BEEEEEE......................ANARCHY

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Only problem with a punk forum is that Eirecore already is an established forum on another boards and it's unlikely that a new board here would be received too well.

I do however support the idea and would probably use it if it was created.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i give my support to the isea of a punk forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

How much can be said about punk?

HipHop is a culture, Rock is too to a certain extent.. but i cant see why punk wouldnt go under the rock banner

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

I think it's a good idea...

Any conversation about punk is being spread over Phantom, Music and Radio, and Gigs and Events. Be nice to have it all in one place.
    Originally posted by Amz
    Only problem with a punk forum is that Eirecore already is an established forum on another boards and it's unlikely that a new board here would be received too well.
    A punk forum on Boards.ie would be far more generalised than Eirecore. Eirecore has a definite emphasis on Local bands and gigs. I doubt it would have any effect on it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Punk would probably fit in the Rock/Metal forum, 'tis a sub-genre of rock after all. I suppose the thing to do is to start up a "What punk song are you listening to now" thread á la "What metal song are you listening to now", see how popular it is and judge whether a punk forum would work by that.
    Has my vote anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

i support it...

Originally posted by Kold
    HipHop is a culture
    what you mean to say there is that hip hop is more cliquey, punk was here before hip hop and will be here after. (but lets not get into the: "my music is better than yours" debate)

on a similar note, why is there no jazz forum, it being the source of all modern music genres.

• Advertisement

Go buy the source ffs, in fact turn on mtv, in fact go outside and look at peoples cultural influences... infact just stop making comments that are just WRONG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

AND IIIIIII WANAAABY!! AN ARCHY!!!!!

I knew this thread would turn into a "weh! my favourite musical genre is better than yours".

I think, thanks to modern technology that most genres of music are never going to die. There is no dominant genre right now (I'm excluding manufactured bands/artists from my definition of music) and most genres overlap and borrow elements from other genres.

Taking Limp Biskit as an example. What are they? A punk band? Metal? Rap? Dance? (quoting this bit and saying "crap?" is ruined now).

In otherwords, can't we all just get along? Personally I'm not into genres - I'm into music that I like to listen to.

FRIGGING IN THE RIGGING!
    FRIGGING IN THE RIGGING!
    COS THERE'S **** ALL ELSE TO DO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not that I've anything against Punk or any other form of music being discussed, but I think the music section has already been diluted waaaaay too much on this site (as have many other categories but meh...).

Taking Limp Biskit as an example. What are they? A punk band? Metal? Rap? Dance? (quoting this bit and saying "crap?" is ruined now).

Metal... and crap of course

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

So go ahead and talk ****, talk **** about me. Cos I don't, don't
    give a ****. About you.

Fo shizzle,

amp durst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Well when new forums are made it encourages more people to post on them especially if they have an interest in them.. just judging by the amount of punk posts on other boards wont tell you if theres a demand for it.. Im a big fan of punk (ramones, dead kennedys, nofx, etc) and would like to see it having its own forum,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Country and Western is a far more popular form of music in Ireland. Fact.

Can we have a forum for that instead?

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Country and Western is a far more popular form of music in Ireland.

Doubt that.. theres a huge punk scene in Ireland

Does Punk have any dedicated radio stations?

Does Punk have TV programmes dedicated to it?

Can punk acts fill the point 7 nights in a row?

didnt think so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Looking at all the stimulating discussions the Rock/Metal board has brought us, I'd have to say most definitely.

Ahaha. I kill me.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Looking at all the stimulating discussions the Rock/Metal board has brought us, I'd have to say most definitely.

Ahaha. I kill me.

I kill you too :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

I will make a poll see how popular it is then?
    Ill make it in the Rock/Metal Section......

Does Punk have any dedicated radio stations?

Does Punk have TV programmes dedicated to it?

didnt think so :)

i'd agree, country probably is more popular but in 1940s germany, nazi-ism was more popular than jewish people, did that make it better?

besides, the reason the point can sell out 7 nights in a row with country western acts is that mainly old/middle aged people like it and these are the only people who can afford the outragous pricews charged for tickets in venues such as the point. by their very nature very few punk band would play the point on point of principle.

there is a very strong punk scene in ireland, therefore i think this genre of music merits its own forum

Originally posted by ferdi
    i'd agree, country probably is more popular but in 1940s germany, nazi-ism was more popular than jewish people, did that make it better?

Since im not a gobshìte and dont bring up nazism at the drop of a hat im not going to invoke goodwins law but instead point you to the difference between Taste and Political beliefs and how they relate to 'popular'
    besides, the reason the point can sell out 7 nights in a row with country western acts is that mainly old/middle aged people like it and these are the only people who can afford the outragous pricews charged for tickets in venues such as the point.

Garth Brooks charged 20 pounds to his concerts. Your statement is ill informed.
    by their very nature very few punk band would play the point on point of principle.

No, its because they couldnt fill it in a month of sundays. (Obviously excluding the more commercial 'punk' bands like Green Day)

Country and Western is a far more popular form of music in Ireland. Fact.
    Maybe so, but as ferdi said the majority fanbase of that genre is middle-aged to old people.
    How many middle-aged to old people post on boards? Not very many..
    How many Country and Western fans are there on boards? Not very many..
    How many Punk fans are there on boards? Quite a few but we'll just have to see

yes my reference in nazism was a bit loose, i appologise.

20 pounds for garth brooks, ok but that must have been a while ago. i'd be shocked if ANY concert cost this in the point today - lets b honest.

the question is not if country music is better than punk, it is whether punk dhould get a forum. if there is a fear of there being too many forums on boards at this stage, i'd agree. there are a few forums which are practically dormant and should be closed but they are just left there, so why, when there is damand for a forum, is it not opened when there are these forums NO ONE ever uses?

would it hurt you personally if there were a punk forum dustaz? would it effect you in any way at all? if the answer is no, which i suspect it is, i dont see your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

give it a go, and if theres no traffic, or it takes from any other board, delete it.

no harm done.

Originally posted by ferdi

would it hurt you personally if there were a punk forum dustaz? would it effect you in any way at all? if the answer is no, which i suspect it is, i dont see your problem.

No, it wouldnt hurt me in any way, apart from being yet another pointless forum that is simply a subset of a perfectly functional forum.

Is the music forum overrun with punk posts?

Is the music forum overrun with punk posts?
    Was After Hours overrun with Antiques/Collectibles posts?
    Was Music/Radio overrun with Hip Hop/Rap posts?
    Was After Hours overrun with Nature/Bird Watching posts?
    Was After Hours overrun with All Things Retro posts?
    Was Music/Radio overrun with Classical posts?
    Was Sports overrun with Self Defence posts?

I could continue forever but as you can see that argument holds no ground, just because a forum isnt overrun with posts of a particular topic - doesnt mean it shouldnt get its own forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

i say stop puttin the punk forum down:mad:
    not all forums make a big hit but if it even makes
    one hit its worth having right?
    f**k it i wanna see a punk forum now!!!

how many forums can boards hold till its too many?

Advertisement