Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keano for player of the year

• 05-11-2003 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Even at this stage I reckon hes a cert. Given that it is usually decided on pre christmas form.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Maybe the writers award but not the players, Keane has made many enemies and won't get enough votes from fellow profesionals.

Besides it's early yet, Keane could start to play sh!te. (Doubt it though:D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭DEG viper

if he does nt get the award the whole thing is a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

There doesnt seem to be anyone else playing consistently well.

IMO he is favourite at the moment. He will probably have competition from the likes of Henry, Duff or Terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Personally I think Lampard at Chelsea is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment, and unlike Keane he's doing it week in, week out, without the need for a break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by DEG viper
    if he does nt get the award the whole thing is a joke

What ??

He has not been the consistent performer that Henry has been. He has not had the impact on games that Lampard has had, I would even put RVN in there ahead of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by super_furry
    Personally I think Lampard at Chelsea is head and shoulders above everyone else at the moment, and unlike Keane he's doing it week in, week out, without the need for a break.

Lampards stats

Keanes stats
    and you have to take into account that Lampard is 25 keane is 32!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭marct

Just read a Fergie comment that Roy is 'the best player I have ever managed'. High praise indeed from a man who has managed Cantona, Robson etc. I may be a Pool fan but the boy Roy is indeed a legend!

cantona was a good player but imo not one of the greats!!! sure he got some great goals in the premiership but was always quiet in europe. cantona

Cantona is a legend of the hall of fame of man united and for ferguson to praise keane by ratin him above him makes keane more than likely in the top 5 best united players ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

cantona was a good player but imo not one of the greats!!!

I dont think you'll get many Leeds or Utd fans to agree with you. Cantona won a premiership winners medal every full season he played in the Prem and but for his suspension Utd would have won it the season Blackburn did as well. He was the missing link in the Utd team at that time. He could be relied upon to produce that little bit of magic to turn a game. He is truly a legend to Utd fans and while I would agree he had a tendency to go missing at stages in games , overall his contibution to Utd was priceless.

Thanks again Leeds

• Advertisement

eric cantona could turn on the style and class in the premiership but in europe he lacked that and he couldn't handle the tighter marking in the European Cup. in 181 games he played for manchester united he scored 80 goals but only 5 of these were in europe, 2 in the 93/94 season and 3 in 96/97!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I don't think Keane is playing enough games to make him a contender for Player of the Year. Right enough, he's playing well, but I dispute the notion that he's a "dead cert" for it. I'd say "outside bet" would be a more accurate description. Even that's dependant on him not picking up an injury or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This posts only intention is to entice a reaction. I cant honestly believe that you think Keane should get this award. Granted, he has had a relatively good season so far but he certainly has not been the best performer overall and it is a certain bet he wont consistently do it for the rest of the season.

To even suggest who should get this award after a paltry 10 games is comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Ok i have to set out my stall.

Keane is a bollocks.

*with stall set, midget lord exits*

And with posts like that Midget I am sure you will have a long and happy time at boards. :rolleyes:

I am not a Keane fan but even if I was I would not be hailing him for player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I also think Keane is a bollocks, and everytime I see him playing it fries me up inside.

But I still think he's worthy of the award.

midget u obviously know nothing bout footbally so i wont dignigy u with a response and i believe that keane will maintain his form throughout the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

...oh right,its you.
    Since when did you have net access?

So tell me DEG what makes you think i know nothing about football?

Is it

a) the fact that i believe Roy Keane is a bollocks
    b) the fact that i used a profanity and no true soccer fan would same
    c) none of the above (please specify)

and i also assume that when you say dignigy that you mean dignify, rather than some colloquial usage of dignigy that escapes me.

Thanx.

Why would i not have a long and happy time at boards? Is it because i have set out my stall by saying that RK is a bollocks. May as well get straight to point as beat about the bush ;)

As you are new here, might I direct you to the charter, it is at the top of the Soccer forum and it does lay out some pretty easy to follow guidelines.

One of them is along the lines of
    Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated

BTW how do you know that Roy Keane is a bollocks ?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish
    BTW how do you know that Roy Keane is a bollocks ?

While this is off topic, i would consider a drunkard wife beater a bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Have you any evidence of these allegations??

I know RK is a bollocks because of the following short list:

1) He plays for the dirt

2) He abonded his national side because he wanted to continue playing for a foreign club side. His reasoning was that he wanted to prolong his playing career, i for one can understand this, but when all we were talking was the remaining qualifying games for euro '04 then 6 or so games is not going to end his career. He didnt come back because he is a thick headed bollocks.

3) As soon as he plays a couple of good games the less-informed man utd fans jump on the alex ferguson band wagon and say "he is the best player ever" or dare i say it "definite player of the year". He plays in a type of position that nobody else at man utd can play as well in. When he isnt there you notice the gulf between the mid and defenders and say "jaysus, if only keano was there". When he is there and the gulf is filled people are saying "isnt he ****in great". We are also blinded by the fact that he is from ireland, eventhough he turned his back on his country in our hour of need for self gratification we still look upon him as being our first son.

4) He is a thug. How many people can break someones leg and write a best-selling book on the incident. I mean he sent out to break AIH's leg and done so, that pre-meditated my friends and he should have spent time behind bars.

There are more, but i dont have time to waffle on much more.

As for player of the year, there are several others that are head and shoulders over him at the moment, Henry, Lampard, Mendieta, Pires, Duff and there are lots more. He has only made a handful of good performances and my points mentioned above have fueled this players of the year talk, IMHO a pile of bull.

As for the charter i will have a read of that now. It seems a but hypocritical that on a "discussions forum" you cant give your opinion on a sports star. Does that not defeat the purpose?

and what jesus_ said.

Again you have your right to an opinion regarding Keane being a bollox for abandoning the Irish team and playing for Man utd etc etc, but again provide evidence of Keane beating up his wife???

talla, i did not say keane beats his wife, frankly i couldnt care less whether he does or not, besides being able to include it in my list of reasons why not to like him.

Jesus_ said he is a wife beater, it sounded good to me so i agreed for reasons mentioned above, i.e. that it would be great to include that in my list of reasons not to like him.

Thanx

i found this
    Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated (unless its against David Beckham, in that case fire away!) We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit.

As this "personal outburst" has not been moved i assumed it has not broken the charter. I understand that you are a mod so could probably move it now but that would seem like you were a bit childish ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the great thing about keane is he couldnt care less who won players or managers awards. he's not into self-gaining or individual praise.

he wants trophies, silverware. he's a great player mainly because of his attitude and hunger.

irish non-manu fans are just bitter because he left us. if he was still playing for ireland he'd still be a 'great player' and 'one of the best ever'. which he is too manu fans anyway.

Originally posted by midget lord
    talla, i did not say keane beats his wife, frankly i couldnt care less whether he does or not, besides being able to include it in my list of reasons why not to like him.

Jesus_ said he is a wife beater, it sounded good to me so i agreed for reasons mentioned above, i.e. that it would be great to include that in my list of reasons not to like him.

Thanx

i found this

As this "personal outburst" has not been moved i assumed it has not broken the charter. I understand that you are a mod so could probably move it now but that would seem like you were a bit childish ;)

No you did not say he was a wife beater, you just agreed with someone else calling him a wife beater, yeh great logic there:rolleyes:

the great thing about keane is he couldnt care less who won players or managers awards. he's not into self-gaining or individual praise.

are you serious smemon?

May i bring you back to 2002, just prior to the world cup. Keane left because the facilities werent up to his standards blahdy blah. If
    he wants trophies, silverware

he wouldnt have went home.

Now dont get me wrong, the FAI [restraint due to charter] arent a nice bunch of gentlemen [/restraint due to charter] and have ran a professional sport in an amturish way for far too long. But roy didnt need to walk out the way he did. Also if i was a manc i would feel the same.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by talla
    yeh great logic there

i already gave you an explanation as to my "logic", its a shame really that some feel there needs to be a logical explanation behind everything, personally i like to live a bit and trust to instinct and spontaneity, that way also gives rise to humour :eek:

he walked out because they werent up to world-class standards which is what everyone should expect going into a world cup.

the only player to have the guts to stand up to mc carthy and the fai and let them know we mean business, not just to have a good time.

keane's standards are winning standards, keane wont play with a team or manager who doesnt believe they can win and settle for fields as training pitches.

keane didnt have to walk out as u say but if you dont train in the best facilities, with the best people, how do u expect to be the best??

Brazil?

Are there world class training facilities on the streets of Rio?

However, i appreciate what you are saying. My point is that he didnt need to do it in the manner he did. We realistically could have got to the final of the world cup had he stayed. Now if he was to reveal what happened and the amaturish way the fai deals with our international team, it would have been more profound and surely the world would have listened.

but again provide evidence of Keane beating up his wife???

I am assuming they have Sunday newspapers in Tallaght? See the whole excert from the ex SAS fella that used to be the head of security for United?

no, the great thing about brazil is that they play football for sheer enjoyment, they love it dearly and play for nothing (until big clubs become interested). over here in europe, its a hobby, a past-time to most, to them it's life.

glad someone finally agrees that we could have won the world cup, problem was most of the team and mc carthy didnt. their aim was to reach the knockout stages and anything else was a bonus, typical irish way, always except 2nd best, have the attitude that "its the taking part that counts".

thats losers talk, you dont try your best, you do your best. try is admitting defeat before you do anything. your only half commited, if you dont believe you can do something then theres no chance of u doing it.

rambling on a bit, i know. basically i defend keane because he believed we could win anything when noone else did. he does have very high standards but if your a manager of a great player like roy keane you give him anything he wants and he'll give u more in return.

Originally posted by smemon
    no, the great thing about brazil is that they play football for sheer enjoyment, they love it dearly and play for nothing (until big clubs become interested). over here in europe, its a hobby, a past-time to most, to them it's life.

glad someone finally agrees that we could have won the world cup, problem was most of the team and mc carthy didnt. their aim was to reach the knockout stages and anything else was a bonus, typical irish way, always except 2nd best, have the attitude that "its the taking part that counts".

thats losers talk, you dont try your best, you do your best. try is admitting defeat before you do anything. your only half commited, if you dont believe you can do something then theres no chance of u doing it.

rambling on a bit, i know. basically i defend keane because he believed we could win anything when noone else did. he does have very high standards but if your a manager of a great player like roy keane you give him anything he wants and he'll give u more in return.

but he's still a bollocks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by smemon
    are you serious smemon?
    I have to agree with smemon here. Keane doesn't care if he scores goals or wins awards as long as he wins. If you remember when he got a yellow card in the cl semi finals and he knew he was going to be out of the final, he was the best player on the pitch by far and won the match for United.

I am an Irish, non-ManU fan and I love Keane. Midget, the reason you don't like Keane is because you felt he turned his back on his country. He wants to play for Ireland but you couldn't expect him to go back if he wasn't getting on with a lot of the players and that is the reason he didn't go back when Kerr took over. He rightly critisized the senior Irish players for not backing him up in Saipan and called them cowards, how can you expect him to play for Ireland after that. He said on the Dunphy show that he would love to play for Ireland. He hates interviews and he went on live TV and got interviewed to play for Ireland again but the Ireland players thought it would be better without him. Don't blame Keane for turning his back on Ireland, blame the players for turning their backs on the best player this country ever produced.

Can you feel that on your face midget ? That's the wind and you are sailing a little too close to it, with it being your first day and all.

This should be considered an official warning. You only get one BTW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Posted by eireboy
    Don't blame Keane for turning his back on Ireland, blame the players for turning their backs on the best player this country ever produced.

Spot on Eireboy. Keane owes us nothing, he has retired for well documented reasons and instead of being bitter about him we should thank him for the service he has given his country.

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I am assuming they have Sunday newspapers in Tallaght? See the whole excert from the ex SAS fella that used to be the head of security for United?

no we're still waiting to learn how to read up here! :D I saw most of the sunday papers and papers during the week, and i read the parts regarding the ex SAS security guard, stating Keane had a problem with drink and the time he hit Peter Smeichel etc, but i didnt see any mention of him hitting his wife.(in fairness I dint read every single paper, but the majority of the sporty thrashy ones, :D ). If the allegations are contained in the book and keane does not bring any action against him, then fair enough, it would appear he's guilty. Also this great ex security guard and SAS officer, is the same head of security that was sacked by united for ticket touting and a host of other allegations. I remember he was charged but dont know what the outcome was. I usually respect your opinion Jesus as I feel your posts are generally fair and unbiased, however I think your original alegations are quite dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Right, Let the War begin, firstly ill open by letting everyone know that im a Liverpool fan. But while I'm a liverpool fan i can appreciate the player who i believe has been the best and most consistant in the premiership since he starte dplaying, I recently bought the dvd " Roy Keane: As I See It" and was delighted to learn that it confirmed everything i had thought about the man and coupled with the book shows even to the most synical anti keane person that hes a born winner who wont accept people slacking, who can fault anyone for that.

I know RK is a bollocks because of the following short list:

1) He plays for the dirt

2) He abonded his national side because he wanted to continue playing for a foreign club side. His reasoning was that he wanted to prolong his playing career, i for one can understand this, but when all we were talking was the remaining qualifying games for euro '04 then 6 or so games is not going to end his career. He didnt come back because he is a thick headed bollocks.

3) As soon as he plays a couple of good games the less-informed man utd fans jump on the alex ferguson band wagon and say "he is the best player ever" or dare i say it "definite player of the year". He plays in a type of position that nobody else at man utd can play as well in. When he isnt there you notice the gulf between the mid and defenders and say "jaysus, if only keano was there". When he is there and the gulf is filled people are saying "isnt he ****in great". We are also blinded by the fact that he is from ireland, eventhough he turned his back on his country in our hour of need for self gratification we still look upon him as being our first son.

4) He is a thug. How many people can break someones leg and write a best-selling book on the incident. I mean he sent out to break AIH's leg and done so, that pre-meditated my friends and he should have spent time behind bars.

There are more, but i dont have time to waffle on much more.

As for player of the year, there are several others that are head and shoulders over him at the moment, Henry, Lampard, Mendieta, Pires, Duff and there are lots more. He has only made a handful of good performances and my points mentioned above have fueled this players of the year talk, IMHO a pile of bull.

As for the charter i will have a read of that now. It seems a but hypocritical that on a "discussions forum" you cant give your opinion on a sports star. Does that not defeat the purpose?

1) Thats a ridiculous comment and a great player is a great player regardless who he plays for

2) for reasons outlined in the thread he had issues with the trainind facilities which should be adequate for professional players, at the end of the day anybody who says they would risk a career threatening injury and a drop in wages from £90,00 a week to £0 if something like that happened is a liar. Plus if your boss in work called a staff meeting to give u a very public b****ckingfor daring to question him i would hope you lost respect for him and his way of doing business, i no i would.

3) any manager/pundit ect who is asked to name his ideal 11 will have keane in the team and this has been done on tv quite a few times, nuff sed.

4) fair enuf he did a wrong thing, and btw he damaged sumthing in his knee he didnt break his leg. but on the same note y isnt everyone dived on for any violent conduct, i seem to remember an off the ball incident with dion dublin a while back where i think it was robbie savage he Ran into with hios head, that could kill someone if u catch them in the right spot and that incident seemed to get forgotten about.

And as for him being inconsistent , one of his main qualities for years has been that he is consistantly good. Everyone heaps praise on players like zidane who has won loads of awards but i find it hard to think of someone who drifts in and out of games more.

KEANO FOR PRESIDENT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Eyeliner__Boy

DAVID BATTY!! Like Keane, he was also written off, although moreso than keane i dare say......Dolly O Leary/Terry Vegetables all said he was over the hill and passed it, and boy has she shown them......in his 6 or so starts this season, he has been awesome in a **** Leeds side, and 10 times the player Keane has been this season.....successive man of the matches in games against blackburn/man u/liverpool/arsenal, even when Leeds were getting beaten in 3 of those, and he shows no signs of slowing down....although there must be a ban coming up for him...he's had 5 yellow cards already:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I usually respect your opinion Jesus as I feel your posts are generally fair and unbiased, however I think your original alegations are quite dangerous.

I will admit I have not read the full article and are basing my facts on second hand info...

But dangerous, now come on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

accusing someone of beating his wife without any proof ( most notably a lack of accusations from his wife) is a dangerous thing to do not to mention damaging for the person involved. as the saying goes " mud sticks"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think this whole 'wife-beating' thing stems from when he was arrested as a young player at Nottingham Forest in connection with punching a women in the face at a nightclub.

as far as i can remember it was found that it was a stitchup, he actually did nothing. It was like the time the time he supposedly was in an argument with 2 girls after the they wom the league, it was found to be a stitchup between the girls and the sun I think, again it was found he did nothing wrong and I think charges were actually brought against the girls in question for wasting police time or something like that(of course the girls were still payed for their story and the paper never printed a retraction).

keane is a world class player and the best player that this fine country has ever produced with the exception of george best.
    and to call keane a wife beater to strengthen ur argument midget is just ridiculous. so next time think be4 u type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I will admit I have not read the full article and are basing my facts on second hand info...

But dangerous, now come on...

Very dangerous, it's hard for a man to sink lower then striking a woman and to accuss someone of it on hearsay is very poor form.

Stick to facts jesus_thats_gre leave the mud throwing and innuendo to the gutter press.

I have seen no evidence of Keane being a wife/woman beater, these unfounded allegations are a bit off to say the least. We have veered way off topic anyway.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement