Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

98se to XP Pro ... upgrade install??

Options
  • 05-11-2003 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if this is gonna be tricky... ?

I don't want to *make* problems for myself.... but I also would like to upgrade rather than clean install...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

possible but BACK UP EVERYTHING!!!
    i cannot express this enough people!
    just stick in the cd and work away

(opinions of this idiot may not stand up in court);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Should go cleanly enough, I don't think you'll have any problems doing it. No, they'll probably come a couple of weeks later ;)

Seriously, if you can do it (have the software cds etc.) I can't recommend highly enough that you do a clean install. I've never known an upgrade to run smoothly for long (it will install grand though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

back up back up back up

delete all folders on the c drive except windows and program files
    delete all files on root drive except system and hidden files

do a new install of xp from win98, install xp to a different folder, ie c:\winxp, now reboot the pc from a dos disk and rename program files to old ie
    type
    >rename c:\progra~1 old

reboot and finish install of xp, once xp is up and running delete the old windows folder,

there you go a new install of xp, with no old win98 junk on the drive,enjoy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why bother ?
    If you UPGRADE a version of windows you will RE-INHERIT all the problems (including ones you don't know about)

You can boot 98 into command prompt and rename the folders if you wish
    REN windows *.OLD
    REN progra~1 *.OLD
    so you can now install XP in to C:\windows

(though look at the c:winxp option if you want to dual boot)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

I did a clean install last night of xp pro, it inherits all your files from before so you wont loose most of your stuff eg office, games etc, However you do have to re install any patches such as the worm virus patch and sevice pack 1.

Hertz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Did a upgrade from Win2k Pro and everything was going smoothly then at 23min remaining, it stopped dead, lost a avi file(wasnt mush lost but there could have been)

Clean Install then went fine.

Capt'n Midnight- you can do a new install of windows xp from win98, without carrying any bugs,ect, by doing what i said in my post, i have done it about 5 times without problem, (shows how legal my os is :D )

also
    REN windows *.OLD

doesn't make sense
    think you ment
    ren windows old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

imho
    Back up everything, and make sure the backup is sound
    Clean install on NTFS, it's the only way
    XP on fat or upgraded fat is weaker, and not as stable.

question for tlachta
    Why the hell have you done 5 upgrades from 98? keep changing your mind or something? (a joke)

just In case you have a copy of winxp corperate with no boot files
    you can clean install XP from a win98 startup disk, just run smartdrv.exe from the boot disk, then run winnt.exe in the I386 folder, away you go

the disc i have will only install from another os, my law comment might explain :D

Advertisement