Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call of Duty

Options
  • 05-11-2003 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

My initial thoughts were like, ‘wow’ and ‘omg’, this really is a top notch title. I’m still on the American campaign, but I can already say that this is one of the best games I’ve played this year :D I actually can't wait to finish work today ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

is it released?
    i was looking forward to this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Like Praetorian I am nearly finished the Yank campaign but unlike Praetorian I am still wondering what all the hype is about. OK there are a few small things that make the game unique but do they add to the gameplay?

The problem is that we are now saturated with WW2 FPS and they all seem to play the same after a while. Don't get me wrong CoD is a great game but the best - jury is still out - maybe the Brit and Russian capaigns will make it stand out from the crowd.

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

what id really like to see is a half decent wwII god game. possibly in the style of c&c, although generals was ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I've played Call of Duty from start to finish, on the third difficulty setting and would make the following comments:-

1) Looks good - but nothing spectacular
    2) Level development is still linear
    3) Game is too short - I had it completed in about 8 hours or so.
    4) AI is not particularly special... just wave after wave and the odd ducking scenario
    5) Implementation of shell shock was a nice touch though in fairness

Overall - not something I'd go mad about, certainly nothing original or new and really just 'more of the same' along the lines of medal of honour.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    what id really like to see is a half decent wwII god game. possibly in the style of c&c, although generals was ****.

get zero hour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Can someone clear this up for me, i thought cod is released this Friday 7th?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

This Friday in Europe - last Friday in the US

Hyzepher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Cant wait to get my hands on this. It might not be anything too new or radical, but the demo rocked, and judging by MOH:Breakthrouh, COD will blow away the MoH series. Allied assault was great, (made by the same people who made CoD) but after that theyve been going downhill, frontline on the ps2 was kinda crap, and i cant see rising sun being anything spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

frontline was a bit ****e. but spearhead was pretty good.

might give zero hour a go now. i really shouldn't buy any more ea games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I got a call from Game today [Thursday] to say my reserved copy is ready for me.
    I hopped into my car and tore up the Naas motorway to Tallaght to pick it up and boy am i not disappointed :)
    I buy most games for online play only,yeah COD single player is fun but like all SP games it comes to an end.
    Having had a good 3 hours on COD online i can safely say you guys will love it.
    I only played team deathmatch but it is very very good,sort of a cross between Day of defeat and Red Orchestra {mod].
    Graphics are wonderful im running it at max settings @1200x1024 res full textures,full lighting, 4XFSAA etc and it never drops below 60 fps .
    Online is a real blast so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Falgorn

Well dcully im convinced, will get it over the weekend... If its as good as you say it is should keep things going till Terminator, WOTM which looks very promising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

got it today aswell, loved the demos and think the full game is even better. i've only played a couple of levels of it and the only thing im disappointed with is that you can't select which campaign to play? i assume after the american one the russian or whichever one becomes playable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Has anyone had this problem with COD? Its driving me mad. At first i was able to turn all graphics options to max, played the training level, and then when it was about to load the first proper level, it got to the "Click to start the mission" screen, i clicked, and the game froze and i had to hit the reset button on my comp. Is been doing this alot, itll only play the levels if i leave the graphics options on "Optimal settings", otherwise it just freezes whenever i get to the click to start mission screen. even tho im runnin Win XP pro, with a Radeon 9800 pro, 512Mb ram, and an athlon 2000+. Any help would be appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Use the Cat 3.7 drivers - problems with later Cats.

EDIT: Or try disabling fast-writes.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Finished Call of Duty last night, this is the second new release thats been a very short game(Max Payne 2 being the other), is this going to become the norm now with PC games???

Advertisement