Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi PDA offer (13-11-03)

• 05-11-2003 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi all

Adle are doing a PDA package next week and I was wondering if anyone has figured out what PDA model it's based on. I know it a Medion but this is more then likely a rebadged HP or Dell. Anyone know?

They are doing the PDA (64mb on board) plus two 256mb MMC cards and a complete in car sat nav system for it for 499.99. I'm a Palm PDA user myself but the use of the Car Sat nav sounds cools.

Anyone have any input???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

paulj13,

Medion are a highly respected company in their own right. I purchased a Medion Desktop PC a few years ago from Aldi.

Very impressed with them. They are a German company with their own website. I doubt very much if the PDA is a re-badged item,as that is clearly not how Medion operate, and their back up service is brilliant.

After almost a year I had a small hardware problem with my dvd-rom drawer. I rang the service number in the UK, and the very next day a service engineer was on my doorstep in Donegal.

He never even tried to fix the problem, but simply replaced it with a brand new one, brill. Have a look for the UK website via Google, then at the products, it should have your item listed.

Good luck.

P.:ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭paulj13

Thanks Paddy

I totally agree on the status of Medion. I have a PC that I got for Aldi about two year ago and it’s still a high spec machine and has never given me one bit of trouble.

However in the PDA domain most don’t actually build these they rebadge. I would be very surprised if medion have set up a complete op just to build PDA’s. If they have then the question still stands. Even if they are good at building custom PC’s and other hardware it doesn’t mean that they're good at a PDA. If they are I still want that know how the machine is rated.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

http://www.medion.de

Has A PDA , in German !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Can pda's use the office package(yes i am a moron take pity upon me please)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

God. The trouble I go to for you guys!!

This is the page translated for all the English speaking people here.

:D:D

Thanks to Altavistas Babelfish translator

• Advertisement

wolfman,

Magico?..

P.:)

Thanks Paddy! Only 1 slight little problem!!!!

Since I posted the link, they seem to have it changed to a page for a PC now???????

:confused::confused::confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yup, ill jump on the medion band wagon,
    got my pc about a year ago from aldi, medion, top spec, still great..... no problems (well, nothing thats the machines fault, just careless downloading and no firewall for a while!)

i had a problem with my modem once, rang them and the guy was out in a day or so, on time etc. turns out it wasnt the modem it was my phone line (i thought this was just an excuse, but he was right, my upstairs phoneline is old, and dosnt work with my modem for some reason, the downstairs one does!)

i dont know if ill get the PDA though, ait got €500 to spare!

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Originally posted by ronano
    Can pda's use the office package(yes i am a moron take pity upon me please)

Pocket PCs (like medion)come with pocket versions of outlook, word and excel.

What spec does the machine have?

Re; The ALDI PDA Special offer. Click on this:- www.aldi-stores.co.uk/IE/

P.:ninja:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They have a DVD player on special offer as well for about 57 euros. as seen here: http://www.aldi-stores.co.uk/IE/specials_01_11/specials_set.html

Anyone know what make/model it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Just saw that, would make a nice second dvd player for the TV upstairs .... I'd have to "disappear" at work that morning though to get one:rolleyes: ... they'll go like hot cakes ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

bot.
    Medion have a uk site
    http://www.medion.co.uk/ but there are no pda's there.

Does anyone know anything about this pda?

The map program supplied I imagine would be very very basic for ireland as Ordinance Survey prevent the usage of street plan maps without a huge licence fee (they are unbelievable).

The only gps system I've seen with maps of dublin was one for well over 1000 euro - they had to do all their own surveys of the streets of dublin - they only managed to complete everything inside the m50 for ireland. Rest of country was N11 , M1 resoultion only.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I have a huge respect for Medion - their products are usually top quality. However, a friend of mine (from Germany) reckons it is a rebadged model identical to one he purchased while in Germany, and he says it totally sucked.

Bear in mind that I don't know anything for sure, and so I'll let you make up your own minds, but I'd be cautious.

Well? Anyone get one??
    Whats the map resolution like?

oz.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭huh!

Not on sale untill tomorrow at 9 am, bet its pissing rain aswell!!!

Got one!

Need a bit more time to see what I think, but fairly impressed so far. Definitely a lack of maps for Ireland, althjough Dublin etc is well covered and has very good detail. Going to Dublin in the morning so I'll get a chance to try it out.

One big gripe! I thought it had the GPS built in, but it's a plug in receiver, and a bad one at that!!! It only plugs into the car power lead, so therefore can only be used in the car, but other than that I'm well impressed. Will let you know more when I get a chance to play around with it

<EDIT>Oh yeah. As a PDA it seems excellent!!</EDIT>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Arse, DVD players were sold out in Aldi Carlow in no time at all. They had a big close up picture of it, and even then no make/model was visible :)

Thats where I got my PDA. Thought they would sell no PDA's. They sold 4 including mine while I was there

Originally posted by wolfman
    Thats where I got my PDA. Thought they would sell no PDA's. They sold 4 including mine while I was there

Where they easy to get? What time did you have to be there at.
    Just curious for future reference on similar things - I suppose they are all gone now?

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Yeah. No problem. They had them in an office and you just asked at a special till which they had printed on a poster.

I was there about lunch time!

Originally posted by wolfman
    Yeah. No problem. They had them in an office and you just asked at a special till which they had printed on a poster.

I was there about lunch time!

They were all gone in Dublin by 10am.
    I went in and they said they may be getting them in again....

Wolfman - can you tell us yet what its like...

especially what sort of detail is in the maps - can you see estate roads or just main roads. Whats the voice directions like?

The specs seem pretty decent - standard pocket pc but with lots of memory- but does it work well as a GPS?

What is the model/make?

Any info appreciated before I committ to ordering one.

Thanks,
    ozmo

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

[offtopic]
    Did anyone get the DVD player?, is it any good? Can you post make and model please?
    [/offtopic]

So the maps are Dublin only? ... not even main roads for the rest of the country? ... is all of the UK covered?

BTW, I believe there are still some PDA's (and TV's) available in Aldi in Ballincollig.....

Advertisement