Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 mega drive games

• 05-11-2003 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I'm a massive fan of snes emulating. Yesterday i decided to have a look at some megadrive, being a nintendo fan, i didnt know very many good mega drive games at all. All i got was gunstar heroes(i remember this one, fantastic game) and shining force II.

I'm sure theres another 100 gems just waiting there to be found. So, what are your top 10 favourite mega drive games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Aryton Sennas GP, International Club Soccer, Super Hang On, Sonic 2 and Streets of rage are the ones that come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

1. Rambo 3
    2. The Road Rash games
    3. Starflight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sonic 3: The black sheep of the Sonic megadrive games, but defintely my favourite.

MicroMachines 2:Turbo Tournament or Micromachines '96: Very little to seperate the two. Perhaps the best multiplayer game of the 16bit era. My favourite memory of gaming is spending hours racing around a toilet seat in a tiny drag racer, trying to shave milliseconds from my lap time whilst avoiding drops of pee.

Streets Of Rage 3: A side scrolling beat 'em up, right? Only it had a boxing kangaroo. it's probably absolutely shit nowadays, but back then it was the dog's danglies.

Shinobi: Because normal ninjas aren't cool enough, we get magic ninjas. A great game, though the precision platform jumping will be hell with a keyboard. It was bad enough on the megadrive pad, like.

And that's all the good games I can remember, really.

Mortal Kombat is worth a look if you've only played the SNES version, what with proper red blood and all. Street Fighter 2: Turbo is the best beat 'em up on it by miles though.

If you want to see advertisement through games at its most grotesque, check out Cool Spot.

And if you want to play the blandest beat 'em up on the face of the earth, check out Ballz. The name says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Landstalker was a bit of craic. Not the best RPG out there, but reasonable fun when all you've played before is Zelda and your thirst isn't quenched.

I have the Micro Machines 2 cart with the two extra control ports somewhere...

If you haven't played Flashback yet, play it. Although I personally preferred the SNES version (purely because of the controller - I own both carts).

Toejam and Earl was reasonably comical.

Decap-attack (starring Chuck D Head) was one of the first MD games I played. It was probably sh1te, I can't remember, it was about 12 years ago. But it was mildly funny. I remember my thumb hurt a lot because of it (the MD d-pad = dodgy).

Then there are the Strike games. And Streets of Rage.

TBH most of my favourite MD games were also on the SNES and I generally preferred the SNES versions.

I should probably also mention I'm not a fan of Sonic games.

Edit: I forgot Shinobi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Sonic and knuckles
    Streets of rage 2
    Golden Axe 3
    Street Fighter 2
    Cannon Fodder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Get rock n roll racing!! that game was so much fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

NHL 93 or 94 was good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

I may have this confused but was Gun Star Heroes the game where u could play co-op side scroll shooter, which at the end u went around a game board which decided who you fought and so on? Thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Yes Stormfox, you are correct.

My favourite games are probably Sonic 2, Revenge of Shinobi and Landstalker.

I could play all these games people have listed though and really enjoy them. Some like Rambo 3 are terribly dated but I still enjoy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭scoey

Sonic 1+2
    Streets of Rage 1+2
    Golden Axe
    Speedball 2
    Micro Machines 2
    Ecco The Dolphin
    Rainbow Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

The best game I ever played on the MD was the haunting. Very very good graphics for its time (3d sprites, 2d maps), keeps you amused for days.

Your a polterguiest(SP) following around a family of 4, who alledgedly murdered you in your previous life, and basicly, your job is to make their lives a living hell. You can possess all types of objects...small things like making a chair scream at them when they walk past it, or possess say, a toy aeroplane, or an ornament(skulls, replica guns) ,and fly it around their house, shooting missles/bullets at them,or making the skull start screaming at them...absolute hilarity. The game of course comes with difficulty, You can run out of ectoplasm, and go back to the pits of hell to try and recover ectoplasm, while picking up a few goodies on the way. This portion of the game features health, and if it drops to 0..well,you know what happens then. Some things in the familys houses can also drain your ecto. Such as their dog. Wheras family members cant see you unless your possessing something,the dog can, and his bark can drain your ecto,as can some other non-friendly spirits.

Really,try it out sometime, it was the most fun I've ever had on the MD.

And when your done, get Sonic&Knuckles + sonic3 compilation. If your still looking for fun, mutant league football always had me occupied. I can recall rocknroll racing having a complicated control system on the MD, so try get it on the SNES if possible...

And stay the hell away from Sonic3d : Fliky's island.
    I remember using my pocket money to rent that game for a weekend,and the dissapointment was bitter :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What about the first iteration of FIFA. I remember being blown away by the game. Myself and a few mates used to plat this for hours.

Similarly with NHL'93. Very smooth game with good graphics and a good sense of inertia when you wanted to change direction on ice.

The Strike games, I had Desert and played it to death.

Was never that gone on Sonic and the various versions

But best of all Streets of Rage 2. I also have 1 and 3 but for me number 2 was the dogs (I think it had the best 'punching' sound. Myself and the brother used to battle through it on the hardest setting. Would take over an hour and your left thumb would be hanging off at the end... oh happy days...

(Incidentally I saw in Games Tm awhile back that SOR3 is now quite rare, which is nice:D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Get Flashback for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Cant believe no ones said Shadowrun yet!

Totally diff from the Snes version, even features a rather nice Cyberspace interface similar to Neuromancer. Def get it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

my top 10 games on the megadrive

1) shining force 1 and 2 (i still own my megadrive and to this day i still play these games there class)

2) the entire sonic series 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 (however many there were i lost count in the end)

3) streets of rage 1, 2 and 3

4) cannon fodder

5) theme park

6) kings bounty

7) earthworm jim (pretty top notch game)

8) street fighter 2

9) the lion king

10) Strike Series (desert, jungle, urban, nuclear, etc etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

EA Hockey.

I've played EA NHL Hockey 2001 on the PC and I actually thought that the mega-drive version was way better. Plus, it's been imortalised in two - TWO! - feature films: Swingers and Chasing Amy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i loved powermonger, for godplay, i so enjoyed watching my men waiting around for me to do something get hungry, they skaughter the nearest sheep and have a feast :D

as for sports FiFA 95, funniest moment ever to my embarresment and joy, scoring a goal with my goalie from a kickout and saying "that guys got great legs" of course my mates laughed thier faces off and slagged me to bits :(

Strike series definatly TAKE THAT SADDAM :D

Streets of rage series was fantastic and still is.

but there were a lot of BAD BAD BAD games, anyone remember italia 90 talk about a bad football game :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

streets of rage that brings me back :see BOSS: POLICE POLICE!!
    No. 1 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by AL][EN
    9) the lion king
    Agreed. One of the few movie tieins of the time that was actually any good. Surprisingly good actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Originally posted by jaggeh
    anyone remember italia 90 talk about a bad football game :p

"GOOOOAALLLL"

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    And if you want to play the blandest beat 'em up on the face of the earth, check out Ballz. The name says it all.
    Ballz!! hahahhahaha, what a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1) Gunstar Heroes
    2) Shining Force 1+2
    3) Rocket Knight Adventures (shame on you all for forgetting this)
    4) Revenge of Shinobi
    5) Probotector
    6) Thunderforce 4
    7) Earthworm jim
    8) Castlevania: next generation
    9) Streets of rage 3
    10) The strike games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

some very fond memories from a few titles there but the ones that stuck out were

Sonic 1-10Million series
    Earthworm Jim (brilliant)
    Golden Axe 1 & 2
    Desert Strike and others in the strike series
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Final Battle (very very long game and extremely difficult at the time, it annoyed me for ages and I thought it was pure crap till I finally settled down to give it a shot)
    Flashback (stunning)

Multiplayer

Micro-Machines 1 & 2
    Street Fighter Turbo edition
    Speedball 2

I still have these and the mega-drive with various controllers in the attic somewhere and of course the extra ports for micro-machines :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    3) Rocket Knight Adventures (shame on you all for forgetting this)
    heh, the one mega drive rom i don't have:rolleyes:
    classic game, must go & have a look for it...
    badly need a decent joypad though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Originally posted by jaggeh
    but there were a lot of BAD BAD BAD games, anyone remember italia 90 talk about a bad football game :p

..but the music was great. :)

I also forgot about Ghouls 'N Ghosts. That was such a magnificent port. I'm going to complete both loops of that one day god damnit. So ****ing hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Gunstar Heroes is a legend of a game :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to include some mega cd games then heres a few classics:

Snatcher (by hideo kojima, great blade runner type of story and plays a bit like a point and click game)
    Shining Force CD
    Lunar 1 + 2
    Robo Aleste

Advertisement