Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port forwarding in XP

• 05-11-2003 5:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I need a little help with port forwarding in Xp Pro.

I've set up an ftp server, but so far it only works on the internal LAN in the house here.
    All the computers are on a NATed network, so all the ips are 192.168.x.x

From what I understand, I'm going need to give people the LAN's server ip address, and from there, tell the server to forward all traffic on port 21(eg) to the ftp server.

Could somebody tell me how to set up the port forwarding to allow me do do this?

Cheers,
    Sinecure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

well you'd need to do that on the router or the machine that does NAT-ing.

it's possible to configure most NAT routers to forward all packets coming in to port 21 (ftp) to a local address (192.168.x.x).

then you'd give external people the external IP address, and the router does the rest. :)

i don't see any need to do port forwarding, unless you have a windows xp machine acting as a NAT router. in that case i can't help you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

With XP, open up your connection properties, advanced tab, enable Internet Connection Firewall and then open up it's setttings. On the Services tab, check the FTP server box and stick in the IP or name of your FTP server.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Had that done already, still not working =/

See screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

FTP needs 2 ports to work correctly, or at least one side allowing the access to the second port.

In Active Mode
    The client connects to server port 21 from local port N (N>1024). The client listens on N+1 and the server will connect back to N+1 to establish the data channel. If the client has a firewall this will normally break.

In Passive Mode
    The client connects to port 21, and issues a PASV command. The server instructs the client to connect to port N (N > 1024). In this, the client must support PASV, and the server's firewall must allow access to the N range - some/most? FTP servers allow a range to be set but these must be opened in your firewall.

So even if you have 21 opened correctly, you need to check the above.
    From what I understand, I'm going need to give people the LAN's server ip address, and from there, tell the server to forward all traffic on port 21(eg) to the ftp server.
    Just incase I've read this wrong...

You need to give ppl the LAN's server external IP address (assuming the LAN's server is acting as a gateway and is multihomed - i.e. has 2 (or more) IP addresses. Its the same with an ethernet ADSL router, it will have 2 IP addresses, an internal and external one and it will act as a bridge).
    So you need to give people the external IP address, and set the forwarding to the designated internal machine for the assigned ports.

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Hmmm strange. According to whatismyip.com and a my website log, the server's "web" ip address is coming up as the same. Everything ok there.

When I ping that ip from inside the network, it works fine. But I can't ping it from Uni. Got a friend to ping it too, with no luck...

Anybody know what's happening there?
    It's not as if there's ping blocking or anything.

Cheers,
    Sinecure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement