Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic light changer MIRT

Options
  • 05-11-2003 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Saw an Article in todays indo.

........................................................................................................
    Traffic light switcher makes officials see red
    Wednesday November 5th 2003

NOBODY likes red traffic lights. Hence the perfect new device that promises US drivers they need never encounter another one again.

It's called MIRT, short for Mobile Infra-Red Transmitter, and for as little as $300 (€260) it promises to switch red lights to green from a distance of 1,500ft.

That's good news for commuters who want to beat traffic jams and don't care too much about the consequences for other road users. But it is causing palpitations among public officials in some of the most congested corners of the US.

A rise in MIRT sales in Detroit has got politicians in Michigan running over with indignation. They want to take the first opportunity to outlaw the device, which plugs into a dashboard cigarette lighter. Michigan state Senator Tony Stamas called the MIRT "extremely dangerous and potentially life-threatening".

MIRTs have been around for years to help police and fire crews speed their way through traffic in an emergency. Now ordinary commuters can easily purchase them on the internet. (© Independent News Service)

Andrew Gumbel
    in Los Angeles
    .........................................................................................................

http://www.unison.ie/stories.php3?ca=30&si=1070883

Do the gardai have these devices? Handy for rush hour trafiic:)

www.themirt.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

wow, never knew there were gadgets like that one. Do they work over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    Do the gardai have these devices? Handy for rush hour trafiic:)
    No, Irish emergency vehicles are meant to cautiously go through the red light.
    Originally posted by ando
    wow, never knew there were gadgets like that one. Do they work over here?
    No. most Irish traffi lights are either standalone on a timer / road sensor or are centrally controlled. Today as I was crossing the road the pedestrian light wouldn't change to green as there was a bus coming - but delayed at nearby bus-stop (computer with GPS on bus tells central system where it is, central system then gives it a green light for as much of it's journey as possible).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

(computer with GPS on bus tells central system where it is, central system then gives it a green light for as much of it's journey as possible).

You are kidding. How long have they had these!!! ls this part of bus text? Or have they been ****ing on for god knows how long about it being impossible to have an electronic timetable at every bus stop, or even a paper one for that matter!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do they still have the little boxes on top of Traffic lights that detect buses ?

AFAIK not much use for car drivers since the transmitter needs to be about 4 meters up in the left hand side of the Bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Do they still have the little boxes on top of Traffic lights that detect buses ?

Is that what they are...If its the what I'm thinking of the box is brushed aluminum in look and about the size of a
    small digi camera sat on top of a small perch...

Mike.

• Advertisement

The system has been implemented in Dublin on a much stronger basis over the last 4-5 years (Keegan's tenure).

I understand busses have one or two roof boxes and an aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Originally posted by mike65
    Is that what they are...If its the what I'm thinking of the box is brushed aluminum in look and about the size of a
    small digi camera sat on top of a small perch...

Mike.

A mate of mine who works for Serco tells me that these are used to measure traffic presence and volume so as the lights can work more efficiently by giving more green time to the busy road and not switching green to a minor road much if there is no traffic waiting at the light.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Originally posted by Redshift
    A mate of mine who works for Serco tells me that these are used to measure traffic presence and volume so as the lights can work more efficiently by giving more green time to the busy road and not switching green to a minor road much if there is no traffic waiting at the light.

Yup, Remember hearing this off someone, fairly sure thats what they are.

Tis a right pain in de ass when some scroat has broken it.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All the lights here in Waterford seem to have them.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I recall hearing somebody say that those 'boxes' on top of the traffic lights were there to photograph anybody who breaks a red light - and that most of them were 'dummy boxes' (i.e.empty!) :D

I remember looking at one in particular, and I could see right through it - seriously !

• Advertisement

No they are motion detectors (which often won't pick up a bicycle GRRR!!). I ssuspect they might be able to count traffic also.

Separately at some junctions (e.g. Islandbridge "roundabout" counts 30,000 jumpers a month) there are cameras watching for light jumpers (this is to collect data, not prosecute).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

30,000 * 12months * €50 = €18 million a year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Are you sure the camera at Islandbridge isn't for prosecution? I'd doubt that it would need such a bright flash just to count cars. I know I've laughed gleefully at people getting photographed there before, including one gobs***e who tailgated me, flashing lights, as I overtook about six trucks on the Chapelizod bypass. I was even going at the speed limit + the bit that you're likely to get away with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Originally posted by Andrew Duffy
    Are you sure the camera at Islandbridge isn't for prosecution? I'd doubt that it would need such a bright flash just to count cars. I know I've laughed gleefully at people getting photographed there before, including one gobs***e who tailgated me, flashing lights, as I overtook about six trucks on the Chapelizod bypass. I was even going at the speed limit + the bit that you're likely to get away with.

I have never heard or read of anyone been prosecuted from a red light camera in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Originally posted by Andrew Duffy
    I was even going at the speed limit + the bit that you're likely to get away with.

LOL.

Have to remember that one...

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Andrew Duffy

Everyone does it... you know, 75 on a motorway, 54 or 55 on a dual carraigeway. I never speed in a 30 though, those limits are there for a very good reason.

Originally posted by Bond-James Bond
    I have never heard or read of anyone been prosecuted from a red light camera in Ireland.
    It's an NRA camera, not Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

one of those camera's went up outside RTE recently. I very nearly got caught out on it once

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by MadsL
    You are kidding. How long have they had these!!! ls this part of bus text? Or have they been ****ing on for god knows how long about it being impossible to have an electronic timetable at every bus stop, or even a paper one for that matter!
    If they were telling the truth, ten years (1993). The then-new CitySwift busses were marketed as having the ability to change traffic lights in their favour. Never really got the impression that that was the case though.

It is what it's.

Originally posted by oneweb
    If they were telling the truth, ten years (1993). The then-new CitySwift busses were marketed as having the ability to change traffic lights in their favour
    Not quite - they can hold a green light, not necessarily change a red to green. Otherwise there would be chaos on O'Connell Bridge as every bus north-, south-, east- and west-bound would be demanding a green light at the same time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement