Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Lyricist

• 05-11-2003 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, who is your favourite lyricist, now i KNOW i'm going to leave some out so this is gonna be a fairly mainstream poll, just vote from the list and dont WHINE

Personally I'm going for Tupac although him and Nas come fairly close in my books

Who is your favourite lyricist from the list? 37 votes

Tupac
    0% 0 votes
    BIG
    18% 7 votes
    Nas
    8% 3 votes
    Xzibit
    16% 6 votes
    Eminem
    10% 4 votes
    50 Cent
    32% 12 votes
    DMX
    2% 1 vote
    Mos Def
    0% 0 votes
    Pharoe Monche
    5% 2 votes
    Shyne
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

NAS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

look outside the box... theres a lot happening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Eminem for imagination and composure.

Tupac would of been my 2nd choice. changes was perhaps lyricaly his best song. "i see no changes all i see is racist faces misplaced hate makes disgrace for racists" Genius

Im suprised not to see Dre or ice cube on this list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Mos Def from that list with Pharaohe Monch second.
    Wtf is Shyne there for? And for a mainstream list where's Busta Rhymes or Big Boi and Dre from Outkast?

Chali 2na is possibly my favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

NAS (from that list)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

2Pac all the way :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Mos Def from that list.
    Pretty limited scope though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I know tupac is the king, but I'm not a big fan. Shyne is great lyrically along with great beats. Download his videos Thats Gangsta and Bad Boyz. They're both great!

BTW, its a crime that 50 cent, Xzibit and Pharoah are up before Jay-Z and Method Man, give some respect to the greats who have proved themselves! Anyone who disagrees post back at me:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well TBH i had 10 choices. Mef, busta, jay-z are all good n all but i never really listened to their tunes for the content. I left jay out just cos i think he sucks, meth and busta are both fantastic for making hits but their lyrics never really made me think "wow... deep" and btw for lyrics Reggie > Meth
    for style Meth > reggie

Oh yeah, Xzibit has mad skillz, 40 days 40 nights one of my favourite albums

I was gonna put cube on the list but bumped him for monche
    and dre? PFffft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Eminem.

"5 mics in the source, aint holdin' my fucking breath, but i'll suffocate for the respect 'fore i breathe to collect the fucking cheque" - from Say what you Say (Eminem Show)

excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

you should have a 'none of the above' bar in there. It seems to me that people think hiphop is all 2pac, Xzibit, puffdaddy, big eminem, wutang and 50cent these days.

What about rahzels, dialated peoples, guru, rakim, bigL, blackalicious..

With the exception of xzibit, pharoe, naz and mosdef, the people i mentioned are just a few MCs that are 100x better than the tripe you have on that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

red_ice wrote:
    you should have a 'none of the above' bar in there. It seems to me that people think hiphop is all 2pac, Xzibit, puffdaddy, big eminem, wutang and 50cent these days.

What about rahzels, dialated peoples, guru, rakim, bigL, blackalicious..

With the exception of xzibit, pharoe, naz and mosdef, the people i mentioned are just a few MCs that are 100x better than the tripe you have on that list.

we have another ''im not gonna listen to any1 if other irish people like him'' **** here. most of them fools u just mentioned shouldnt be up there and thats why they arent. hes not gonna put up a few rappers that hardly any1 has heard of just coz u wanna be different and not like good rap. i dont understand how people that think they know alot about rap can say tupac isnt/wasnt the best rapper to ever live. and im a huge fan im not just someone that listens to cali love and changes and then call myself a fan. i hate people with your attitude.

''A place to spend my quiet nights, time to unwind
    So much pressure in this life of mine, I cry at times
    I once contemplated suicide, and woulda tried
    But when I held that 9, all I could see was my momma's eyes
    No one knows my struggle, they only see the trouble
    Not knowin it's hard to carry on when no one loves you
    Picture me inside the misery of poverty
    No man alive has ever witnessed struggles I survived
    Prayin hard for better days, promise to hold on
    Me and my dawgs ain't have a choice but to roll on
    We found a family spot to kick it
    Where we can drink liquor and no one bickers over trick ****
    A spot where we can smoke in peace, and even though we G's
    We still visualize places, that we can roll in peace
    And in my mind's eye I see this place, the players go in fast
    I got a spot for us all, so we can ball, at thug's mansion''

lyrical genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

While i dont disagree with your post im a bit confused as to why your replying to a 2 year old thread ?!?

This was possibly the second or third thread ever posted on this board.
    moneyman, you've dragged it up solely to abuse somebody.

Banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

He does have a point though, half the time I wonder if this is the rap forum or the Im more underground than you board. I could bet 100 euro if Blackalicious or whoever the fcuk went multi platinum on their next album Red Ice would think they were twats and vehemently deny he ever listened to them

Sorry, but tbh dont keep ranting against people on these forums who like mainstream. Fair enough, there are some right willyheads into rap (I once got into a verbal disagreement with some guy who claimed Lil Jon is the greatest rapper of all time :rolleyes: And then demanded someone turn off Lean Back because "Fat Joe hates G Unit" :D He also refused to acknowledge Biggie Smalls was great "cos hes dead". However, Pac worship is allowed because, according to your man, hes alive and living in Cuba). But just as annoying as the people who think gettin it crunk is the height of things are people who shout down Big/Nas etc fans in favour of people who are so unknown most CD shops dont even stock their music. Do a search for Ugly Duckling on Kazaa- last time I did I found 7 files. As for Blackalicious, yes, they are stocked. However, the files online are appaling for some reason. I downloaded 4. 2 were empty, the sound on the third was horrendous and the song I did get (think twas Alphabet Aerobics?) it was alright, but I wouldnt shell out 21 quid on an album based on it. If these people cant be bothered promoting their albums via airplay etc dont be disappointed that nobody cares who they are.
    Sorry, but you really cant blame me for not caring about the music of a group that nobody has heard of, that very few stores sell their music and, out of what is it, 3 million Kazaa users, a total of 7 have their files?

Are you addressing me, and if so why exactly?

edit - Who the hell uses Kazaa these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Red Ice primarily, and anyone else who partakes in this nonsense

Kali used to do it alot, as seen above, but hes been missing as of late.....

I still use Kazaa, Im just too lazy to download another program so Ill stick with what I have

You realise it's riddled with bogus files and malware right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

And thats what kazaa ressurection/lite/whatever its called is for

The servers are still full of malware and bogus files. There's just no spyware packaged with the programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

Sabac red from non-phixion is one of my favourite lyricists nowadays :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

So true about people trying to be more underground than others.

I bet less people (on this board) like Jay Z cos hes "too commercial". He said himself he "dumbed down for (his) audience" to sell records. Going commercial less people like stuff he did earlier with Big L etc. Personally i like both his styles.

I have to admit that mostly the beats in commercial music are nearly more important to the wider buying public than the lyrical content. You could fart on most beats in the charts these days and sell plenty records. Most people who buy records don't want complicated word-play and deep meaning (i'm talking specifically bout rap of course) and just want something that sounds good.

For instance, EMinem, his best stuff is in his freestyles where the beats aren't as good as on his records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Not any of 'em. At least not Eminem. I'd like Snoop Dogg or any of the boys at N.W.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

I bet less people (on this board) like Jay Z cos hes "too commercial". He said himself he "dumbed down for (his) audience" to sell records.

But what does that say about him? that he's a whore for the cheque? that he's a sellout? i think so, if he has more intellegent things to say on a record and doesnt say them or he changed his style to sell more records then he is a sellout, a very rich sellout, but a sellout nonetheless.

I bet less people (on this board) like Jay Z cos hes "too commercial".

I think this is a common misconception on this board. I think people like certain artists less not because they are more commercial, but because they think they are just crap.

Then you get people saying that the only reason others don't like someone is because it's the flavour of the month to bash artist x.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 djblueice

Well I prob wouldnt have choose any of them, but if I had too it would be Eminem cause I love some of his songs... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Evzer

moneyman wrote:
    we have another ''im not gonna listen to any1 if other irish people like him'' **** here. most of them fools u just mentioned shouldnt be up there and thats why they arent. hes not gonna put up a few rappers that hardly any1 has heard of just coz u wanna be different and not like good rap. i dont understand how people that think they know alot about rap can say tupac isnt/wasnt the best rapper to ever live. and im a huge fan im not just someone that listens to cali love and changes and then call myself a fan. i hate people with your attitude.

Hardly anyone has heard of rakim, Dilated peoples, Rahzel or guru? hahahahaha Educate yoself foo'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Eminem

Eminem because the stuff he rapps about is true and it affects people in differnt ways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Jesus....this thread is fuçkin' ancient. Kill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Eminem its ok, from now on we can just assume your answer to everything is Eminem. You've answered with the exact same line in so many threads now...

Eminem you're new to the board so you can't be expected to know everything, but bumping old threads is frowned upon. The post prior to yours was 4 months ago and the thread itself is over 2 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement