Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops : What and where to buy

• 05-11-2003 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for a new laptop at the moment and i have €1500 to spend (at the very very most)

Does anyone have any advice as to where i should buy the laptop or what specs i need? I have never bought or used a laptop before so i really have no idea. The centrino notebooks look nice so thats what i'll be going for.

Links to laptops you recommend around my price range would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jaysus chap, as a mod you should be familiar with the search tool.

What exactly do you want to use it for, i.e. will you be lugging it around, is battery life important, games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Games are not in the least bit important, battery life is. I Havent seen any recent threads here about good places to buy laptops but i'll have a search now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Truckle
    Games are not in the least bit important, battery life is.

Then look for the newer Centrino technology. Acer's Travelmate 290Lci will give you over 5 hours battery life, with a 1.3GHz Pentium M processor (roughly similar to a 2.3GHz P4).

Elara have it, and t'will set you back just over 1500.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dell inspiron 8600's are great value. take a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

www.picosystems.co.uk

UK based but still very good value.

• Advertisement

Ok i am stuck between the TravelMate 661XCi and the TravelMate 290LCi

Anyone who knows stuff about laptops, is 256mb a good amount to have or is 512 worth getting? Its eitehr 1 .4 ghz processor instead of 1.3 or double the ram (this being the cheaper option :) )

Double the ram I'd say but a good processor is also very important because they tend to slow down very quickly when they heat which all laptops do.

What programs do you intend using?

Well, I just bought the 290LCi, so I'd recommend the 1.3 with 512MB Ram...:D

Personally, the extra .1GHz would have made little difference to me, but the 512MB Ram is handy if you are going to be doing any work with photos for instance.

Plus the 290 is £80 stg cheaper.

Bear in mind that Acer Notebooks Direct charge £49.99 stg + VAT for delivery to Ireland. Might help with your decision re. budget. And their machines are not patched for the Blaster virus, you gotta do that yourself.

Originally posted by irish1
    Double the ram I'd say but a good processor is also very important because they tend to slow down very quickly when they heat which all laptops do.

What programs do you intend using?

Heat will not be a problem, believe me. Very quiet, very good on energy, and nowhere near hot.

AYe
    the 290LCi is just the job methinks, hopefully the after sales support from these chaps is decent, i'd rather buy elara but it works out at 130€ more expensive :(

• Advertisement

AYe
    the 290LCi is just the job methinks, hopefully the after sales support from these chaps is decent, i'd rather buy elara but it works out at 130€ more expensive :(

For €130 more I'd go with Elara, if something go's wrong it will cost you to send it back to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭irishgeo

PC world have a sale on. You can get laptops for €1500 with DVD writers. Check out today's Indo there is and ad on the fourth or fifth page.

Like the look of the Advent 7027 myself. Wish i had the money for it.

AYe

Then consider the following...

1. Rang to check postage. Told £50 (no mention of VAT). Ordered online, P&P came up as £19.99. Small error, which they were happy to correct by phoning me with the correct postage rate, and asked was I happy to continue (still no mention of VAT...)

2. Phoned me next day to say there was a problem with my payment. Left a message on my mobile cos I was away. I rang back, and was told their bank was relucatant to clear my credit card, and that if they refused I'd have to send them a cheque or money order. "Eh, no missus" says I. "I'm already paying enough, I'm not paying for my bank to issue a draft" (no cheque book you see). "We'll ring to let you know if its cleared" I was told.

3. I have to ring them the next everning to be told the order has been processed. "Where's my phone call and e-mail with reference number for package tracking with your courier then?" I asked. "Did you not get them, I'll send the e-mail straight away." They then phoned me about 3 hours later with the tracking number, and the name of the courier company. No e-mail by the way.

4. This bloody thing didn't work. Had to contact them again, and only then did the tracking reference work on the courier's site.

I've had no problems with the machine, but if their tech support is as bad as their sales then thats a small mercy.

You decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

if you can spare another €56.57
    this acer travelmate 290xci (centrino and all) is available here in dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

www.eurosimm.co.uk

Bought two from there with no problems.

Originally posted by djr
    if you can spare another €56.57
    this acer travelmate 290xci (centrino and all) is available here in dublin

More money for less RAM? Sounds like a bargain to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

try one of them lidl laptops they where just on ur price range and hand 523mb ram dvd-r and a 128mb 9600

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Catalyst

I am ashamed .... please tell me which site and model of 290 you are looking at and I will get our price rectified !! Don't mean to be doubting but Sure about the conversion and VAT? Our 290 xci is 1454 Incl VAT I think :) don't forgrt the free mouse ;)

T'was the Travelmate 290 LCi (I'm nearly sure), and he was comparing your price with Acer Notebooks Direct (who charged me €1465.60 incl. P&P about four weeks ago)...their price has dropped a few £s since I think.

You're site says €1527.23 right now, no idea what you charge for delivery.

BAH HUMBUG! I needed the laptop in a hurry so i just bought one from pc world for €1550

It was a packard bell with a 1.3 centrino, 512 mb of pc2100 ddr ram, 32 mb integrated graphics, 30 gb HDD and a cd-rw/dvd drive. Came with an external floppy drive and a carrier bag :)

I am sure i could of done better but i needed it instantly.

Thanks for the advice guys anywhos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

BAH HUMBUG! I needed the laptop in a hurry so i just bought one from pc world for €1550

It was a packard bell with a 1.3 centrino, 512 mb of pc2100 ddr ram, 32 mb integrated graphics, 30 gb HDD and a cd-rw/dvd drive. Came with an external floppy drive and a carrier bag :)

Let us know how you get on with it.

Sounds much like the Acer anyway. Of course, it is a Packard Bell (such a dirty word...)

Let us know how annoying it gets...;)

Advertisement