Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sims

Options
  • 05-11-2003 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

help please. My daughter aged 11 wants the sims for playstation 2. a friend says that there is "rude bits":D in it is this true or would it be suitable for an 11 year old....yes i know its 15s but.....
    m

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

its definally ok for an 11 year old yea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

its definally ok for an 11 year old yea

Yeah, tell that to people who were shot at when a 14 and 16 year old who had been playing GTA decided to take their parents rifle and shoot at people driving by.

Ratings are on games for a reason. They aren't mandatory, they are put their by the companies releasing the games and as such I would say are pretty good indications of the suitability of content and where younger people are concerned should be heeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by [CrimsonGhost]
    Yeah, tell that to people who were shot at when a 14 and 16 year old who had been playing GTA decided to take their parents rifle and shoot at people driving by.

I agree wholeheartedly. Because by exposing a young girl to the horrors of The sims, she could..*SHOCK HORROR* actually start playing with REAL dolls, and maybe even..oh god this is horrible to contemplate..actually start DRESSING HERSELF!!!! And MAKING FOOD FOR HERSELF!!! Just like in the game!!!! Cause as we all know everyone under the age of 15 is a moron who will automatically copy EVERYTHING they see on television or in videogames. I myself spent several years trying to knock down a wall with a tennis ball after playing Arkanoid on my Atari ST.

Those kids who shot the guy in the car after playing GTA were morons. Anyone who blames their crime on a videogame is a bigger moron.

To answer the original question, The sims is fairly harmless. "Rude bits" constitute of people going to the bathroom (which gets blurred out), people kissing, and people having kids. And when that happens a baby just pops up in the house.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by mocar
    help please. My daughter aged 11 wants the sims for playstation 2. a friend says that there is "rude bits":D in it is this true or would it be suitable for an 11 year old....yes i know its 15s but.....
    m

The Sims is fine for a 11 year old, the rude bits are blocked out.

It's rated 11+ (ELSPA) and "The Sims: Bustin Out" is rated 7+ (PEGI). When buying games, the age rating on the box is normaly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I myself spent several years trying to knock down a wall with a tennis ball after playing Arkanoid on my Atari ST.

Hehe, this is funny :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭PopTart

Sims is harmless the worst thing in it is the jump into bed together and roll around under the blankets. You can't see anything and I'm sure your child wouldn't have a clue what there doing if shes only 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭mocar

I'm sure your child wouldn't have a clue what there doing if shes only 9.
    She is 11 and that is what I am worried about but if you all say it is blocked out maybe i will see. I suppose its not violent crime or anything like that.
    Because by exposing a young girl to the horrors of The sims, she could..*SHOCK HORROR* actually start playing with REAL dolls, and maybe even..oh god this is horrible to contemplate..actually start DRESSING HERSELF!!!! And MAKING FOOD FOR HERSELF!!! Just like in the game!!!!

love it well she is pretty good at doing those stuff...:D :D

on another note is the silver ps2 better than the black one or it it just a different look?

m
    ps thanks for the replies

If your still unsure rent it and play it first before youbut it

The silver just looks more stylish all the new black versions have been upgraded to the same spec as the silver .
    I.e quiter fan anf reads cd-rs

Those kids who shot the guy in the car after playing GTA were morons. Anyone who blames their crime on a videogame is a bigger moron.

You are the moron. Those children themselves cited the game as an influence on their behaviour. No one else did.
    Also, ratings are put on games to protect children, not ruin their fun.

Back to the point at hand.

I wonder how an 11 year old would take it if 2 male or 2 females sims jumped into a bed and started having sex. Whilst you don't see the action, you certainly see the sheets jumping around and hear a whole hell of a lot of noise. Now maybe this 11 year old is old for her age and fully understands the complexities of homosexuality.

What about if one of her sims dies and the ghost comes back to haunt the house. I've heard of numerous 11 years olds and younger having nightmares about ghosts. $hit I used have them myself.

Having played the sims extensively and having a partner who plays it a whole hell of a lot more I know just what the game contains and whilst most of the content would be suitable there are certainly some things that most parents wouldn't want their 11 year old daughter seeing.

• Advertisement

Its' only a game , I'm sure she's seen a lot worse on TV. I work in a toyshop I know the age range of kids who own this ...... its starts from 7 years old and up.
    if she's only 11 I don't think she'll be trying to make to 2 wo/men fall in love do you.
    :p :

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

The Sims is very tame, and suitable for almost any 11 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Dont mind Crimson hes just a politician.

Well mocar asked for info on the game and I gave it, hard facts. Everyone else just said go ahead and let a child play a game that given an age rating 4 years above her age.

Mocar - you can do what you want. Personally I don't mind. It's your choice and won't affect me the slightest. But at least take on board the points I've raised as I certainly feel they are quite valued and at least backed up by hard facts unlike any other comments on the thread.

Stormfox1020 - I don't know where you're getting your information, but it certainly is very wrong. I am no politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

You are the moron. Those children themselves cited the game as an influence on their behaviour. No one else did.

No, **** this point - what about the GTA point? It's of no consequence that those teenagers acted irresponsibly after seeing something happen in a game. Their parents are the problem here, not GTA. Teenagers with access to guns is a recipe for trouble if all they've ever played is frogger and qbert. Anyone who is currently buying in to the fact that GTA is the problem is only doing so to make money - why sue the parents when two large companies with cash reserves can be held responsible.

Mocar has proven that he is taking responsibility for his child's upbringing by asking this question.

Well mocar asked for info on the game and I gave it, hard facts.

Hard facts with your own homophobic spin?

Hard facts with your own homophobic spin?

Oh ffs. That was only one of my points. I have no problem with that whatsoever! But a lot of parents would have issue with an 11 year old being exposed to such content. So I raised the issue so that the parent in question could make an informed decision on the matter. Which is more than you did, and your comment did not help in any way shape or form. So kindly keep your mis-guided, and down right wrong comments to yourself in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

How many people here saw a horror film that was rated 18's while they were under the age of 18? Show of hands?? Im sure 99% of people here have. ****, i saw pulp fiction when i was 14. I saw the evil deads when i was pre-teen. And have i raped any overweight black men? Have i attached a chainsaw to my arm and gone on a demonic killing spree? No. And im sure neither has anyone else whos seen these films. Its entertainment. As is GTA. My father has a shotgun in this house. Ive fired it occasionally. However ive never once had the urge to just take it outside and randomly unload at people because i thought it might be "A laugh". Anyone whod do something like that, teenager or otherwise, has something very, very wrong with them to begin with.
    You can spout all the bulls*it you like about games or movies being to blame for the actions of these 2 idiots, but all it boils down to is a lack of parenting, disturbingly easy access to firearms, and stupidity at a genetic level.
    Jesus christ..games influencing people to kill..i suppose if theyd said mickey mouse inspired them to blow someone away youd be warning people about the evils of Mickey mouse too, would you?

Which is more than you did, and your comment did not help in any way shape or form. So kindly keep your mis-guided, and down right wrong comments to yourself in future.

I think what you might mean is that my comment did not help your argument in any way shape or form.

Given that this is a discussion forum I will not keep my comments to myself no matter how misguided and wrong you believe them to be. Was it my reference to your rampant homphobia or my debunking of the tosh you were spouting about GTA that you believed to be misguided or wrong?

As for exposing 11 year old girls to the fact that sexuality is not a one-sided matter, I happen to believe it is up to the parents to make that decision and also see nothing wrong with healthy discussions of matters such as that in a normal family environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

crimson i didnt know i should stop playing battlefield or any other game with a 15 + rating thank u for enlighting me.(oh why did the evil local games shop sell the game to ??? me oh why ??? ) Theres a lot worse things an 11 year old could do with a pc than play a game with blurred images.(oh well maybe i can sell my battle field game for something near what i bought it for. )

• Advertisement

Originally posted by henbane
    Given that this is a discussion forum I will not keep my comments to myself no matter how misguided and wrong you believe them to be. Was it my reference to your rampant homphobia or my debunking of the tosh you were spouting about GTA that you believed to be misguided or wrong?

Frankly both. Your misguided implication of homophobia on my part, and your failing to properly read and/or interpret what I said about GTA. I merely stated fact that the kids involved in a shooting stated GTA as the influence behind what they did. I think you need to take an english language course!

You're not the only one. Multiple people have jumped on the band wagon and taken parts of what I've said or just totally misunderstood. Like
    Originally posted by Big Ears
    Theres a lot worse things an 11 year old could do with a pc than play a game with blurred images.
    Which wasn't a point initially even made by myself, and not one that I could consider important at all anyway.

A question was asked. I posted details of the game so the father in question could make an informed decision for himself based on the content. If he is happy with the content then great. But at least I posted details which would help him make that decision. I certainly don't recall anyone else posting details of the game. In fact I wonder just how many of you have sat down and played it for any lenght of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Originally posted by PopTart
    If your still unsure rent it and play it first before youbut it

End of discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Balfa speak truth. Thread question answered. Amp lock thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement