Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Utv Sign Up

• 05-11-2003 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I have been attempting, with out any joy to migrate from UTV's standard line connection of 180hrs a month to their dsl service.

Starting on the 28th of Augest I start to sign up, only for them to try and tell my exchange wasnt ready, althought it was.

Next, 2 weeks later I convince them my exchange is ready they begin to process my application again! joy you say?!?!

NO.... They have now just stopped my application saying I that Eircom informed them I have a pending application already, which is complete load of b****x.

I spent the day ringing UTV who told me to ring Eircom, was bounced around from dept to dept by Eircom to finaly be told what I already new, i had no other applications.

So as suggested, i rang UTV and requested they ring Eircom Wholesale and get it sorted.

Any one have any similar experiences?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Emperor's New Clothes!!!

While I have not had a directly similar experience, reading the details of this one once again makes me think that UTV are skating on very thin ice. They are increasingly living on their past reputation and while they have an amazingly loyal following who defend them vigorously and I am beginning to think almost sychophantly a 'detached' look at their recent performance would surely convince that the Clicksilver product has been farcical for many people. It took a mini riot in the newsgroup for UTV to finally admit that there had been a problem with Clicksilver. This was after a combination of ignoring the problem lecturing people on their line quality with the occasional bit of blame for the weather (at a time of course when we were having the best weather for years!) not to mention referring people to a site on tweaking broadband - and this is supposed to be a premium product! Can you imagine the outcry if Eircom was behaving like this?

The behaviour recounted in the post above would hardly instill confidence in anyone cotemplating Clicksilver.

The one thing that mystifies me is why did you spend so much time getting on to Eircom if you knew that you had not made an application to them?

What did UTV say when you requested that they ring Eircom wholesale?

Did you threaten UTV that you would leave them altogether?

And surely you must ask yourself do you want to be involved with a Company that is treating you so ineptly to say the least?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Chowley

I had similar trouble trying to sign up to UTV and IOL for BB as far as the exchange being enabled or not.
    It kept telling me BB is not available in my area even though it was.
    I dont know if its still like that though my line has been failed.

[EDIT] Yep still not working, strange considering that the eircom site says BB is available in my area (Hettyfield exhange, Cork) [edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

Eircom informed them I have a pending application already

i applied for eircom first then cancelled to join utv on the 29 sept
    nightmare...

couldn't get broadband because its pending cancellation, doupt i'll get it this side of christmas

i don't know why they think you applied through someone else
    but...
    ring both eircom and utv every day, ring twice sometimes, they act like they care more the second time,

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

Well dub45, its like this.

I knew for a fact there were no other applications, but Eircom seem to think so, and told UTV this. I just decided a few hrs of phone calls myself was going to be a hell of alot quicker than waiting for UTV to move their ass, there is normaly days if not at least a week between any of their other replys to their own mistakes, eg the fact I was migrating services, they already had payment details, but still stopped my application once cause some fool couldnt find them!

The main reason I havent tried to sign up with IOL is the fact I would have to start from scratch with them all over again.

UTV have till Monday,

Wanton you have great patience I hope it works out for you!

Its shocking though that people have to put up with such crap and have to spend so much time sorting out something that should not even have arisen in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brucealmighty

It took a mini riot in the newsgroup for UTV to finally admit that there had been a problem with Clicksilver.

Where is this Newsgroup and how is it accessed?

Where is this Newsgroup and how is it accessed?

Its on the Utv news server - news.utvinternet.com I think.

I think you need to be actually signed on to UTV to read it but if you are not already a UTV customer you could always sign up for the free dial in service if you wanted to have a read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brucealmighty

Its on the Utv news server - news.utvinternet.com I think
    Thanks i will check it out later.

Thanks i will check it out later

You are very welcome. Look for the utv support group when you get on to the server it makes very interesting reading. and keep a special eye out for my very reasonable, lucid and charming posts:)

Well i just got an email today, they are blaming it on Eircom ofc, but have given me an activation date, 11/11/03.

Now i wonder, with all the crap, is it going to be worth it?

• Advertisement

Now i wonder, with all the crap, is it going to be worth it?

Well at the moment Clicksilver appears to be as good as it has ever been speedwise (just got over 400 on giganews.com which is excellent) some people are currnently complaining about ping problems so if you are a game player you may be concerned about this aspect. But if speed is your main interest then if it keeps up like this it will be worth it.

Naa, gaming is not for me. DL'ing thought is the way I want to go.

I do a fair bit atm with this 180 hrs a month, but dont like w8ing a whole night just to get a music video.

Want to be able to dl the bigger stuff.

DL'ing thought is the way I want to go.

Well if it stays the way it is now you will be fine then. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I am currently in the middle of an "open status" nightmare. I ordered off eircom and then cancelled (30th Sept) and ordered with UTV (1st Oct). When UTV put in the install request it was returned with an open status. This meant, I was informed that there was an order outstanding on my line. This was denied by eircom. I was repeatedly told there was no outstanding orders. (It took 14 days for the cancellation to go through)

Weeks pass, order sent in and open status returned. I phone eircon complaints, initially they want me to give UTV a cancellation number and try again. I explain that UTV have been sending my order with that number for 2 weeks. They continue to insist that UTV must resend the order with this number. I ask for the supervisor.

Anyway to cut a long story kinda short, apparently there is a port held for me in my exchange. This is what is causing the open status. This does not appear on the customer service system or even, apparently, the wholesale guys. They just get open status returned when the account number is typed in.

The long and the short of it is, it would seem that it might look like you have cancelled you old eircom order but a separate system hold a port for you and this is not cancelled. This will cause an open status.

Well, its like this, I never tried to order it off friggin eircon, i only inquired. SO that dont explain my open status.

I did how ever get an email last week saying I would be connected on 11/11/03, but wait, tuesday has come and gone, and 2 emails later with no reply I still dont know when the f**k i am going to be connected!

I am only home from work, and the help line is closed, so I am one phone call away from cancelling my order, and that phone call is tomorrow.

They better get their friggin act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

I applied for BB with UTV on the 15/08/03 I then had a major fault on my line for 5 days(dead...no dial tone) so the BB install failed, so I had to reapply, they then gave me an activation date of 16/10/03 and sent my modem to me..... Great I thought finally I'll have BB..... No such ****ing luck!
    Anyway after about 40 phone calls to UTV and €irCon it turned out my whole housing estate of 30 or so house's (less than 2 years old) can't get BB because we are on a "Carrier block", so no BB and UTV want the modem back. So I have now applied with €ircon 2 weeks ago, I bumped into an old friend of mine yesterday who just happens to work in €irCon so he checked my line last night and told me I was NEVER on a "Carrier block" to begin with and I should have no problem getting BB..... of I go and phone €irCon today and find out that there's a port for me in the exchange but UTV haven't released it yet and my app can't go any further until this is cleared (If I had not phoned them I'd still be in the dark waiting for an activation date) UTV say the have cancelled my BB with €irCon..... So now I wait to see where this farce is going to take me next.

PS. My mate who lives close by and has had a phone line into his house for 25 years applied and got connected within 2 weeks with UTV with great speeds.... go figure!

Regards,
    Maddog.

“Mr Pudding”
    I feel your pain buddy….I’m getting the same **** from €irCon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Martin-UTVi

There's not much I can add here :( When a customer has started the ordering process with Eircom and cancels/changes, we keep getting the order returned. Continual calls to Eircom eventually allow us to put the line through but there is still a delay and every time it happens you would think it was the first for Eircom. I've even had a situation where a customer with BB installed and working from ourselves had the line hijacked and Eircom BB installed over it - something that should not even be possible.

Email me your details and I'll try and push a bit harder or get more info.

Martin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by maddog
    can't get BB because we are on a "Carrier block", so no BB and UTV want the modem back.

What on earth is a carrier block anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

got mine sorted...

i rang the eircom freephone number for istream, and asked him if he was sure the account was cancelled, he said he was and it was utv's problem, i told him utv said it was eircoms problem, so he gave me an 1890 number to ring,(istream technical support) they wanted to hang up on me since i didn't have isteam username and password, but managed to tell her my story, she did a line check for me, and said that the cancellation hadn't gone through yet, i told her otherwise, and she fixed it for me there and then,a week later i got word my clicksilver account was going ahead. so just get on that phone and good luck

waiting on the modem now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

There's not much I can add here When a customer has started the ordering process with Eircom and cancels/changes, we keep getting the order returned. Continual calls to Eircom eventually allow us to put the line through but there is still a delay and every time it happens you would think it was the first for Eircom. I've even had a situation where a customer with BB installed and working from ourselves had the line hijacked and Eircom BB installed over it - something that should not even be possible.

Dub45!! are you still not getting the message? Jeeze logic is a rare commodity but it must obvious, even to your blinkered crusade, what the reality of what trying to be a broadband supplier (Eircon excepted & of course e-sat on their own exchanges) is like in this incredibly open market we live in :o I don't know how many subscribers utv have but the number of unhappy customers are well represented by the vocal two. You have a point but only in another economic environment. The reality in this godforsaken miserable monoply is very different.

Please everyone go with UTV. It will piss the hell out of eircon and those wánkers who couldn't understand the definition of no-limits. The support (telephone, e-mail etc)is not as perfect as it used to be but that is probably due to thier unexpected success and will no doubt improve. Blind faith in UTV my arse. They are genuine people making a profit but not ripping anyone off. That's the bottom line. To me anyway.

Oh and dont believe that the dub was the main man in getting UTV to sort the speed problem out. He seems to be the only one (pings excepted) thats still complaining after they did though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

and on that note... my clicksilver account was activated yesterday and I'm waiting on the modem being delivered today

and further to that.. im now on my spanking new DSL connection :D

my very first post using dsl.. that has to be some kinda milestone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yaay rymus!

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Yaay rymus!

my sentiments exactly :D

Dub45!! are you still not getting the message? Jeeze logic is a rare commodity but it must obvious, even to your blinkered crusade, .

Again the over the top stuff of a 'blinkered' UTV supporter:)

I dont know what message I am supposed to get.

The undeniable fact is that for several months UTV's clicksilver product was appalling for many people. The problem was widespread and it was pointed out to UTV that there were patterns to the poor quality. UTV chose to ignore this fact and gave wrong advice about the line quality, the weather and MTU being responsible. It was not a product worth the almost 50 euros monthly fee.

Valentia was one of those people who consistently defended Clicksilver in the support group despite the fact that he was not using it. 'Logic is indeed a rare commodity' when it comes to defending a product you have never used.

I dont have a blinkered crusade at all. I have pointed out to people here who were wondering which way to go when choosing an ISP the pros and cons of Clicksilver. And all the things I have pointed out are on record - the problems with Clicksilver and the UTV response to them. I have also pointed out several times recently that the speed is now excellent. So where you see a crusade I dont know.

Jeeze I don't know how many subscribers utv have but the number of unhappy customers are well represented by the vocal two. You have a point but only in another economic environment. The reality in this godforsaken miserable monoply is very different.

All I pointed out was that the suppliers of any product have a responsibility and that is recognised in law. What to you consider to be the extent of UTV's responsibility in relation to Clicksilver to be? Do you consider that its ok for them to take the monthly subscription and then hold their hands up when things go wrong and say its not our fault?

Would you be prepared to put up with another three months of very poor speeds and then have UTV or whatever ISP was involved say 'Oh its our suppliers fault'? From your attitude above that type of thing appears to be acceptable to you.

If you woujld that's fine but UTV offer a product take the money so as far as I am concerned (and the law )they have responsibilities to ensure the customers get a good product.

You mention the 'vocal two' but it is very clear in the support group for all to see how many people were unhappy with the speed of Clicksilver and how it was magically fixed just when people began to threaten to walk.

Do you consider that its unaccepatable for people who are unsatisifed with UTV to voice that dissatisfaction?

Surely if someone is a keen gamer and they are unable to get good results because of very poor pings they are entitled to complain about that particulary when it seems customers of other ISP's dont appear to have the same problems. I would also have thought that it would be in UTV's interest to get a good reputation for pings so as to attract gamers. (and I am not an online gamer by the way!)
    Please everyone go with UTV. It will piss the hell out of eircon and those wánkers who couldn't understand the definition of no-limits.

And you are suggesting I am on a crusade! I thought that when we signed up for broadband we were looking for a good product and good support. I am not interested in spending €600 a year just to spite Eircom and I assure you I have no great love for Eircom.

The support (telephone, e-mail etc)is not as perfect as it used to be but that is probably due to thier unexpected success and will no doubt improve.

Has it occurred to you that this may be because UTV will not put the addiitonal resources in to UTV Internet that are required to maintain the previous high standards because they want to keep their cost base down and their profits up?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's like Yoda all over again.

EUROS EUROS!

adam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Originally posted by Valentia
    I don't know how many subscribers utv have but the number of unhappy customers are well represented by the vocal two. Oh and dont believe that the dub was the main man in getting UTV to sort the speed problem out. He seems to be the only one (pings excepted) thats still complaining after they did though.

I don't post here that often anymore due to a few different factors , one being that i'm fed up of it .

Here I am going to assume (always a dangerous thing , but correct me if I'm wrong) that I am one of the vocal two . Well if I am then anyone that has been reading the recent posts in the support newsgroup will see that there is absolutely no response from utv about ping problems . Nothing , posts around them get replies , but these are left completely alone .
    Now I also have to say that I get very little to nothing at all in terms of support from other utv users , so it is possible that is my problem alone . That said it is also possible that a: there are very few gamers on utv B: they don't know about the support group or C: they dont play games where ' lowest ping wins' .

But , and this is my biggest problem with utv , my high ping coincided with the newfound d/l speed to the day . I have asked utv for a comment on this, any comment , and received none .

In conclusion , Dub45 may not have singlehandedly got the speed problem sorted out , but he surely put in a lot of work and deserves the praise for that , even if he isn't looking for it . While everyone else was saying " oh its not their fault " and "remember how good they were to us before " , he kept pluging away and low and behold , it turned out to be a problem which utv should have been able to sort out sooner rather than later .

In future if anyone wants to quote me , then use my nick , I don't have a problem with that , as can be seen by that fact that I use the same nick everywhere. I stand by my posts and admit when I'm wrong.

John.

Well, with the fact I started the thread might as well add how I am getting on, and I aint ffs.

Finally spoke to someone today who SEEMS to be helping, the previous admin didnt seem to give a flying f**k about me, prob because I am already a customer and they are already getting my money.

I have now be given a new date, and not for connection, but for when they can tell me why the hell I havent been.

IOL is looking better every day! Any one know if there any good?;)

Well i am finaly connected and dl'ing at previously un-thinkable speeds!

• Advertisement
Advertisement