Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throttled?

• 05-11-2003 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭

Got Netsource dsl a month or so ago and I'm getting a sneaking suspicion I'm being throttled....

Been trying to send some files home (DV video + Hi res digital photos) to a friend overseas as a backup incase my laptop blows up or is stolen etc.

Set up an ftp server and he connected up and started transferring... was getting a solid 10-11Kb transfer rate when after about 20 mins or so the rate dropped to 4Kb and after an hour it's transferring virtually nothing... transfer times out. He's told me he's not downloading anything else and I'm not using any other significant traffic appart from a web page or three and msn.

Suspicious I try changing the port of the ftp server... hey there goes the speed again! 20 mins later the same **** happens...

Getting similar pings to other netsource users....

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I got throttled and my speed went down to 56k speeds. It may be temporary, but If it persists then you have. Ring them up and say you are verry sorry and that you won't do it again and you should be put back to normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

yeah but this is upstream not downstream and if they aint gonna provide the service why do they offer it?

Wonder if it's just international

someone wanna test it for me? 213.79.34.244 port 21 l/p test/test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I'm getting 12kb/s and I'm on the same subnet as you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I'm on netsource and was getting pretty much a steady 12kbs dl'ing one of your files so I dunno.imho netsource are an isp i'll soon be free from and will be glad to see the back of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

According to my ftp prog(smart ftp), i'm getting 16k/sec (Current Speed) from you but to be honest I'd more likely believe the average speed which is aprox 12.7 ~ 12.8k/sec

Then again, the graph is showing 16.8K/sec...

Either way, its doesn't look like you're being throttled to me...

EDIT: btw. I'm on Netsource too...

EDIT2: Download finished a few mins ago. Averaged at 12.69k/sec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Virus_Inc

Seems only have the problem with international traffic then - and certain hours also... when I got up this morning (6am) it was running at speed... I'd put money on it being back at 0 when I get home though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by Virus_Inc
    . I'd put money on it being back at 0 when I get home though....

But who would give you the odds. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

6pm and still at the 12k mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

upon finally reaching my pop3 mailbox after numerous attempts, it seems that they capped me again :(

ok. the weekly cap is 4 gigs. and the monthly cap is 16 gigs. theres 5 weeks in october. what the hell is going on?

adnans

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Is all this capping totally legal? Where's the boards lawyer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

also throttled / capped again.

just 20 days left with them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

I've been hit as well. No warning, no nothing. Just an email to inform me why. The service is unusable. 600 ping, 1.8k/s download, 25% loss. Completely unusable. Anyone know how long I can expect this to continue for? If it's any longer than a couple of days, I'm cancelling the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by fatguy
    I've been hit as well. No warning, no nothing. Just an email to inform me why. The service is unusable. 600 ping, 1.8k/s download, 25% loss. Completely unusable. Anyone know how long I can expect this to continue for? If it's any longer than a couple of days, I'm cancelling the service.

My understanding is that it will continue until the end of the month, at which point they'll review the usage stats again.

Uncapped is the only reason for signing up with them, and sticking with their lousy gaming performance. They confirmed several times in writing that the service was uncapped, and no download/upload amount would result in any change to connection speeds, guaranteeing me a minimum of 128k down at peak times.

I am getting the same speeds you are, worse at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

What the flippin hell, they just did me in as well. up to 100% loss on my local router, 1.8KB/sec

I rang them, and they said
    1/ I signed up to this cap limit in their 'terms and conditions'(I hope not)
    2/ They will send me out a new form and if I sign and return it, they will remove my cap as long as I am not as bold a boy as I was.

I asked them to fax me the signed terms and conditions, to see if they really did have that in there at the time, iol did this years ago to 56k modems, they had it in their t&c's that they could modify the contract at their discression, and chucked loads of people

will wait and see what these new forms are, and read t&c's again

Did anyone actually read their terms? it does mention it on their web site, but they could have put it up last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 F-Corp

Thanks guys
    I was thinking of going with netsource.
    not now though heh..:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

Zascar is right,
    I rang them, after I reread the T's&C's and they were right as well.
    I had to send them a mail saying that I was sorry, and I wouldn't be as greedy anymore, then they stuck me back up
    At least they were nice as pie about it, and there was no administration charges (eircom would charge for something like that)
    I suppose 4GB a week is still great, not helping the prawn/music collection as much though

Advertisement